V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yahoo: DETROIT (AP) -- Harley-Davidson is recalling about 308,000 motorcycles to fix a switch problem that can cause failure of the brake lights and possibly even the rear brakes themselves.

The company says in government documents that brake light switches can be exposed to too much heat from the exhaust system. The brake lights can fail, and the problem also can cause fluid leaks and the loss of rear brakes.

The problem affects Touring, CVO Touring and Trike vehicles from the 2009 through 2012 model years.

Harley says it will notify owners of the recall. Dealers will install a rear brake light switch kit free of charge.

The recall affects about 251,000 motorcycles in the U.S. alone.

The company says it's aware of only one crash from the problem. It was unclear if anyone was hurt.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
anyone know the part number of the switch they're replacing the stock switch with? reason I'm curious is I've had to replace that brake light switch twice since I've had my 09 Ultra. This last time it seems to be holding up so if the switch I have in there now is the same switch they're replacing all the faulty ones with I won't bother with the recall.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
anyone know the part number of the switch they're replacing the stock switch with? reason I'm curious is I've had to replace that brake light switch twice since I've had my 09 Ultra. This last time it seems to be holding up so if the switch I have in there now is the same switch they're replacing all the faulty ones with I won't bother with the recall.
Rear stop light switch is a non-sold part number (72016-06A) in the Recall Kit Part (No. 91500011).
It looks like the original switch. New Rear Stop Light Switch Identification: Sharp
Edges Are Gone On New Switch. According to the specifications provided by Harley, the materials used on the new switch has a higher temperature tolerance than the older one. The service is free and not to have it replaced is to put your life in danger without any reason. Why take the chance?
The original part number is 72023-51D.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Dealer changed mine out this morning. First very few have failed second most that fail did not leak but the brake light did not work.
Cause is The CATS heat.
The fix was to install a new brake light switch they call it a kit but just a switch code 0145.
They also bleed the rear brake after install the time require is about .40 hours.
It is not really a bit deal Hd did the recall to avoid problems with more of them over time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
UltraNutz - like all recalls, if you have replaced the faulty part and paid for it, the manufacture is required to reimburse you for the part & labor, regardles of how many times you replaced it. Get your invoices together and send a letter to the Motor Company and request to be reimbursed - AFTER you have the actual recall performed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Consider fabricating and installing a Heat Shield after installing the new switch, using the same bracket the switch is on... thats exactly what i will be doing, maybe run the shield all he way down to the bolt hole on the rear R/side foot board... protecting the brake fluid line (fluid) from over boiing (not sure what the boiling point is yet) but if the "CAT" will cook the switch... a little over protecting could not hurt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ALL...I have a 08 FLHX that this switch went bad on. Had wife on the bike with me flames were coming out around her feet. Jumped off the bike, pulled the wires loose and put out the flames. Melted my wires and switch. We were about 150 miles from home when it happened. This happened in July. Rode her home on with front brake only. Wish I would have let her burn now. (56,000 miles and going stong)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I no longer have any heat to speak of with the power duals from v&h. No cat left. pipe is farther away from switch and my hand tells me it is barely above ambient temps now. Makes me wonder??? If it doesn't need fixing why mess with it... ;)

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I no longer have any heat to speak of with the power duals from v&h. No cat left. pipe is farther away from switch and my hand tells me it is barely above ambient temps now. Makes me wonder??? If it doesn't need fixing why mess with it... ;)
The switch on my trike only saw heat from the cat for 2,500 miles before I switched to the Fuelmoto Jackpot head pipe. A few weeks ago my rear brakes quit working, one minute they were working and the next the peddle was going all the way down with no assist from the rear brakes. Roll the dice and take your chances, I'll bet yours sees more heat than you think.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I changed the exhaust on mine shortly after purchase and had rear switch go bad, No brake light. Just had my recall done last week...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I had 16,000 on mine no failure with the CAT,s in place.
Real world there were that that many but for something like this recall is the only option.
I do not know one person that had a failure. Only read about them on the Internet.
My boot has not melted from the CAt's yet either

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had about 14,700 on mine when the switch failed and had it replaced in Aug. of 2011. Harley picked up the cost of the switch and I had to pay for the labor. When I went to the Dealer to get the recall done, I found out that the new switch has rounded corners on it rather than the traditional corners where your wrench would grip. I'm on the list for the replacement, as the one that is on there is of the old style. It is def. a heat issue, as I had the tranny gasket leaking on the right side in Aug of 2010. The dealer I went to stated that the lock-tite on the bolts failed due to the heat from the cat. They replaced everything, and lucily it was still under warranty at the time. I am on the list for the new switch once they come in as Harley is only sending a certain number of them to the dealerships at a time.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I just purchased my 2009 FLHTC and am wondering if the rear brake light has already been replaced. Can anyone tell me how to tell by looking at it? tia

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
'09 flhtcui

I ride an '09 Ultra. My switch failed in the Summer of 2011. Lost brake lights and signals as well as cruise control...it actually blew two fuses...don't understad why it blew two. Bought the switch and replaced it myself...all before the recall. Since then had them do the recall.

The reason I'm posting is that it's not just the bikes with CATS. '09 touring bikes were the first with this exhaust plumbing, however they did not have CATS. It still gets hot enough to melt the plastic on the switch and short the connectors together.

Or it's possible that they originally used a switch without a good enough amperage rating and are now replacing it with a more robust switch rated higher...I don't know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts