V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone adj. the preload setting on the 06 Dyna rearshocks?
Does it help/hurt or even change the spring rate? how much?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Gettin' stiffer

Had an '03 FXDL and adjuting the preload only made stiff shocks stiffer. I ran 3rd position 1-up and the 5th position for me and the wife. Only way to keep from bottoming alot, though. Just get an inexpensive pre-load wrench to keep handy for those quick adjustments. I got mine from an accessory dealer for about $12.00.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thomas Howard said:
has anyone adj. the preload setting on the 06 Dyna rearshocks?
Does it help/hurt or even change the spring rate? how much?
The link below is to a FAQ at Works Performance on suspension set-up. The setup for "sag" would be different on a stock HD shock but the principle is the same. You are looking for "sag" of 1 to 1.5 inches if you have standard length shocks. The link to the pdf file will explain measurements.

http://www.worksperformance.com/pdf/instructions/general_instructions.pdf

Suspension mods seem to be popular. I really like the Works Performance dual rate rear shocks and dual rate fork springs on my '05 Dyna - big improvement in ride quality. There are several manufacturers that can provide improved suspension components.

·
Registered
62 Posts
rear shock adjustment for '06 street-bob

Hi Thomas
I ride an '06 Bob. it comes stock with lower shocks - 12" if i'm correct.
I adjusted to preload on the springs to the max position,
which noticebly stiffened their response (the bike came stock adjusted to the softest position).
more importantly, it also raised the back of the bike by 1/2" - 3/4". didn't measure exactlly by how much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts