V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a floating disk and chrome sprocket to install on my Dyna's rear wheel. Question is, how far do you have to drop the swingarm (bike on jack) to get the belt off? My axle is installed from the right and the Thunderheader bracket will interfere so I'm trying to avoid removing the exhaust. I'm guessing it can be done as I had a rear tire changed a while back at the dealer and they didn't take off the exhaust because my original safety wire job is intact. Any hints?

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I could be wrong but on your bike, it doesnt' look like the swingarm will drop enough to pull the axle out from under the muffler. I would try to jack up the rear and pull the 2 lower shock mount bolts. Then tape a rag around your rear muffler while propping the tire up with a 2 by 4 or something similar and big enough so the axle clears the muffler. Hope that helps....

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn good idea, I looked at it again and the swingarms not going to clear the Thunderheader bracket on the down swing. Should I have enough forward axle movement to get the belt off without dropping the swingarm?

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Gulfstream said:
Damn good idea, I looked at it again and the swingarms not going to clear the Thunderheader bracket on the down swing. Should I have enough forward axle movement to get the belt off without dropping the swingarm?
Not sure what you are asking. First step is to get the axle out, then the belt will come off easy.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I didn't make it very clear...I'm trying to get the axle out without having to remove the exhaust. I think I'll reinstall the axle from the left, I see no reason not to.

·
Woo Hoo!
178 Posts
I just had my rear wheel off to replace the tire. Manual says to loosen top shock bolt and remove the bottom shock bolt. This allowed the swingarm to drop far enough below the exhaust to get the axle out.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Gulfstream said:
Yeah, I didn't make it very clear...I'm trying to get the axle out without having to remove the exhaust. I think I'll reinstall the axle from the left, I see no reason not to.
If removing the shock bolts won't allow the wheel to drop, then looks like the exhaust will need to come off. As for the axle going the other way, not sure. I've never seen it done that way but can't think of a reason why not. Maybe someone else will chime in on this.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Gulfstream said:
Maybe you could remove the exhaust bracket that is in the way and leave the header pipes connected. Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts