V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

I have found plenty of information on the subject on the forum but I haven´t been able to find anything on this:

If you want to relocate the turn signals to the rear, say to the license plate bracket such as HDs kit does, do you have to drill a hole in the fender to pass the wires through to the taillight / wiring harness?

If not, how do you do it?

If so, isn´t there a way to pass the wires through a hollow bolt that could replace one of the three original mounting bracket holes? There are turn signal mounting bolts that you use on the fender strut that do just that, so it should be possible, if they are the right size.

What size are the mounting bolts for the stock, three hole license plate mounting bracket? A quick search through one of my P&A catalogs turned up 3/8"-16Threads per inch and 5/16"-24TPI of various lengths. Am I close at all?

I´d really like to avoid drilling holes in the fender, so I´d appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
Sponk

P.S.:
My Street Bob is 3000 miles away and I can´t look at the thing myself right now...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used the Dyna bracket on my Fatboy so that I could add detachable Heritage style saddlebads - I did have to drill through the fender.

I didn't like that part, but could come up with nothing else that would do the trick.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
http://www.bubbasbrake.com/LPB.htm is a nice kit. It's on the pricey side, but top shelf stuff. I used two of the three holes to mount it down and the third to run the wires. The dealer sells an insert for the late model (bullet) turn signals to fill in the recess used for the OE mounts. If you go this route, put a rubber grommet in the fender hole and you're good to go.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I moved the rear turn signals on my '03 SG to the license plate bracket using the kit. I did not have to drill a hole. It was already there, covered by the original bracket. Take off your license plate bracket and take a look. If the third hole isn't there you have to drill a hole.

·
Premium Member
6,979 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but maybe saddle bags aside, why would one want to relocate the rears? I did the front and it looks much better, but never really had a problem with where the rears are. :confused:

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I plan on putting detachable bags on the bike. I just haven´t decided which ones yet. All of them require the relocation.

I will be adding a HeavyCycles LED Taillight with integrated turn signal arrows (got one on my Deuce- it´s awesome), but I´d like some extra lights. My plan is to add a laydown license plate frame with turn signal LEDs in the sides(probably BilletBoys, I think it looks best). That should keep the bike well lit and still much cleaner than when you use the relocation kit with the turn signal bar that looks a little out of place IMHO.

Thanks for the info so far guys. Using only two of the bolts to route the wires through the third sounds possible. No Problems with the bracket vibrating with only two bolts?

I´m still going to see if I can´t make that third bolt a hollow one and then route the wires through it, if I can find one that fits.

Ride Safe
Sponk

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
Sponk said:
Thanks for the info so far guys. Using only two of the bolts to route the wires through the third sounds possible. No Problems with the bracket vibrating with only two bolts?
No problems at all after 3 years and 20,000 + miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts