V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I have used a Dunlop 491, a Avon Venom X, a Continental Milestone, and a Condi Tour TK 17. Just got a new Metzeler 880 for the Ultra but have not got it on yet. Does anyone out there get better than 5000 to 7000 miles out of a rear tire on a bagger?

My wrench keeps telling me he gets 10k on his tires....sounds like *TIBS* to me!*

What kind of mileage do you guys with baggers get with your tires? What do you think about the Metzelers? :thanks:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
About 7,500 here on the original Dunlop. I have switched to the Metzeler ME880 150/80-16 for a much more comfortable ride... 3,500 so far and it still looks good. Another thread points out that the 150 met has load issues (71) so I am switching to a comparable Avon Venom with a higher load rating when this one goes.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
lasher55 said:
OK...I have used a Dunlop 491, a Avon Venom X, a Continental Milestone, and a Condi Tour TK 17. Just got a new Metzeler 880 for the Ultra but have not got it on yet. Does anyone out there get better than 5000 to 7000 miles out of a rear tire on a bagger?

My wrench keeps telling me he gets 10k on his tires....sounds like *TIBS* to me!*

What kind of mileage do you guys with baggers get with your tires? What do you think about the Metzelers? :thanks:
I have 10,700 on my original Dunlop 402 with about another 2,000 miles left on it.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Another thought:

The more time you spend over 80mph, the faster the tire goes.

If you ride agressively, the rubber goes quicker too.

I've got a buddy who I am sure they will bury with his original tire.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
8-Ball said:
Another thought:

The more time you spend over 80mph, the faster the tire goes.

If you ride agressively, the rubber goes quicker too.
@gree: @gree: @gree:

·
Registered
4 Posts
lasher55 said:

lasher55, I got 10k on the first 4 sets of tires on my bagger, 2004 FLHTC, changed all 3 sets out while doing the 10k maintenance. The first 3 sets I had no problem, a lot of long trips, the 2nd set could have gone another 2.5k to 3 k easily. I was getting ready to do an Iron Butt and wanted good rubber on the road for it. The last set I barely made it to 10k. The difference I can directly attribute to riding style and road conditions, I made a lot of jackrabbit starts on them, did some hard riding and carving up twisties toward the end of their life.

To answer your question, it is possible and not out of reach to go even farther. I have a friend who routinely get 12-13k out of the H-D Dunlops. He rides very conservatively though.

jw

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
lasher55 said:

Sounds like you ride like I do lol.
5K to 7K is about it for me and I've tried them all too.
I like the Metz for it's handling and got about 7K out of the last 140/16.
I found I get better mileage running the air pressure on the high side.
I'm 260lbs and pack some gear as well as quite a bit of two up riding so I'm running 48lbs rear and 40lbs front.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lots of 2 up on my bike, but dont think I ride that aggresively. Tires wear very evenly so I dont think I have any type of alignement problem. Lots of hiway miles for me , very little in-town riding.Still have to use the 130 on mine. Have an 01 and this is the largest that will fit.

Have to try the new Met and see if it lasts any better! Thanks for the feedback :cheers:

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
lasher55 said:

Got right at 13k on the rear my FLHRCI with the stock Dunlop. I just replaced it. But I don't ride like a bat outta hell either,... well most of the time anyway!

thrasher

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
7,000 for me on the original Dunlop.
At 11,000 now ,looking forward to 14-15k so I can replace both w/ ME880s. :D

·
Registered
473 Posts
MegaGlide said:
7,000 for me on the original Dunlop.
At 11,000 now ,looking forward to 14-15k so I can replace both w/ ME880s. :D
How about doing a burnout and posting the pic... You might need the metzlers sooner... Just trying to help justify the need sooner...:brows:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I got 8k out of both times on my FLHRCI. I changed the rear before Sturgis last year and it could have gone another 2k easy. Just didn't want to have to change out the tire in the middle of the trip. Plus that is an area to err on the side of caution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.