V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts
Change my rear tire every 8,000 miles no matter on the wear.
Fronts I switch out every other rear so I guess you could say 16k on front

I have a couple of buddies that always want my rear tire after I take it off at 8k, I am sure I could get a few more miles on most cases but not worth the possibility of having any issues. Nothing worse than going for a ride and having problems that regular maintenance could have prohibited.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
New Stock Donlop

Well, gotz my new rear on yesterday and gotz to admit it makes quite a difference. While on my way to Colorado , I noticed the bike wuz seeking the rain grooves of the pavement. (And I still had 3,000 miles to go) I thought at first my front tire needed the replacement, but after some serious thought (hehehehe) I realized the handlebars were remaining true and the rear of the bike wuz squirreling around , seeking the grooves. I came to this conclusion cuz my buddies rear spokes had loosened up while we were on a trip and we assumed it wuz in his steering head because of the way the bike wuz weaving around. WE WUZ WRONG. Now T.Bagger tracks as straight as the POPE again. I figure another 10,000 from my front tire, as long as nothing punctures it......Later.....Krayven

I changed at 11k but had another 2 or 3 k left based on what was left on the tire. With 25% off, I couldnt' resist changing. I will say, the difference was like day and night. As has been said, only two things that keep us upright. Oh, after about 10k wet weather riding was a little challanging. I do check air pressure often and most of my riding is 1 up.

I get around 11k on rear, on all my bikes. Got well opver 12 know, pushing it. This last tire 50% two up touring.

Do a search this comes up alot.

My FLHPI has about 8500 miles and I am very close to the wear indicators. But I have been treating my back tire very aggressively.

I dont do burn outs but I have been known to do a power slide or 20

11k on dunlop 130, totally trashed. 11k on metzler 140 maybe 1000 left, about 4k on metzler 130 cuz I hated that tire, not cuz it was worn out! went back to metzler 140 and am happy again! Mostly 2 up, 01 RG pretty conservative rider.....mostl of the time;)

I changed both stock tires on my '04 FLTRI at 14.7K mi. The rear was not quite down to the wear bars ( guessing about 2K mi left), and the front still had a lot left. I was about to leave on a 3K mile trip and didn't want to push the rear, plus I was eager to try Avon Venoms.

Now to see how these avons hold up!

I made the switch to ME880's bout' a year ago, didn't gain anything as far as mileage, but what a difference in the ride. Still get 9-10k rear and change the front every second rear. Tires are like insurance policies, keep them paid up.

'Keep your Knees in the Breeze''

I got 9k out of my Dunlop. Went with the Metzeler 880's and got 13k on the last one. My current one should get about the same or a little better.

After getting the 880's, I'll never run another Dunlop. I think the 880's are far superior in wear and mostly ride quality.

I had to change my rear tire at 9000. Had a cut and decided that it was safer to change it. I might have gotten another 1000 or more out of it with out the cut.

2004 FLHTCI stock rear tire replaced at 12000 miles. I could have gotten another 1000-15000 but was on a trip and didn't feel the need to push it. I was pulling a trailer the for 2000 of those miles.

bob
pensacola

Krayven Sumhead

Krayven Sumhead said:
Hey Dudes and Duddettes,
I own a '03 Ultra and wuz wondering what kind of milage everyone is getting from their rear tires. I wuz at the Ann Arbor open house last weekend and a dude and his wife were sitting and talking about how their tire on the new road king had just been replaced at 6,600. Braggin about how they had wore it out just cruising around. I'm getting a new rear later today and the one that I'm removing has just about 13,000 miles on it. (I think I could squeeze another 1,000 miles but found a peice of embedded metal the other day, and I'm afraid to remove it) . Just curious about your guy's milage........This will be my 4th rear tire in 32,000 miles.
I get about 11,000 or 12,000 on a rear tire on the FLTRI. FYI - I have 23,000 miles on the front tire and it has plenty of rubber left.

here's a old thread resurrected by the new guy, welcome. not that this isn't valid any less this year. 14,000 on original tires, could of got more out of the front. friend did the change with my help. 16,000 out of the Metzeler marathons. new rear tire is on the way. it's getting a little squirley.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.