V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Dudes and Duddettes,
I own a '03 Ultra and wuz wondering what kind of milage everyone is getting from their rear tires. I wuz at the Ann Arbor open house last weekend and a dude and his wife were sitting and talking about how their tire on the new road king had just been replaced at 6,600. Braggin about how they had wore it out just cruising around. I'm getting a new rear later today and the one that I'm removing has just about 13,000 miles on it. (I think I could squeeze another 1,000 miles but found a peice of embedded metal the other day, and I'm afraid to remove it) . Just curious about your guy's milage........This will be my 4th rear tire in 32,000 miles.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
I got 11,000 on my stock Dunlap, could have went more but was anxious to get it off for the 880's

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I got 14,000 and some change out of stock rear tire. went with metzeler marathons and lyndall brake z pads front and back. I had a freind who knows his &*^% put them on for me and saved some $$$. so went with the change of them all while he was at it.

·
Humpin One Leg at a Time
455 Posts
I got 8000 outa my last rear avon, I tend to get real happy after a couple of beers

·
Registered
11 Posts
10,000 and dumped

I got a shade over 10,000 on my stock Dunlop, then it seemed to wear out overnight. Watch it closely. Mine really went fast when it went.
And when it does, it won't hold in a turn on wet pavement and you'll wish you had replaced as soon as you noticed it instead of squeezing a few more mile out of it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dunlop D402 - I get close to 12k out of the rear. Maintaining tire pressure and avoiding burn-outs make's them last for me.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
i ride a glide too , this varies widely according to rideing style and size ,, at 6'2" i weigh 235 and get around 8 or 9 k with a dunlop 140mm my partner is a couple inches taller and weighs in at a whopping 300 lbs and he only gets around 5 k ,
i think shifting habits and type of road surface affect milage alot too , we ride alot on a chip seal type surface , this is where they spray oil and then spread large pieces of gravel , i think this eats a tire up as opposed to the smooth hot asphalt overlay

·
BFFB
833 Posts
also people change tires at different times , i change 1000 miles before they get to the wear bars , and some ride till they are almost slick ,, i pay 85 bucks for the dunlop so i figure about 10 dollars per thousand miles , when mine gets squared off i only save 10 dollars to squeeze out that last thousand miles , its just not worth it to me , and like jimaroo said they ride soooo good when they are rounded

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I got 10,800 out of my stock Dunlop rear tire. Possibly could've squeezed another 1000 out of it though. The front tire is still fine at 15,000.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
10K on the stock Dunlop and 8K on the Avon Venom X. The Avon still has quite a bit of life left, though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The owner's manual says to replace BEFORE the tread is down to the wear bars. How much before is left to your personal preference. Dunlop's own literature says to replace when center tread depth is down to 2/32nds of an inch. I bought a $5 tread depth guage and checked the tires on my 04 King with 8,800 miles on it. I still have 6/32nds on the rear. New rear tires are supposed to come with 9/32nds. So follow me with the arithmetic: if 8,800 miles has worn off 3/32nds, then the next 4/32nds should be good for an additional 11,733 miles, or a total of 20,533. Since almost no one gets that much mileage out of a rear tire, then there must be some truth to the theory that wear accelerates as the mileage accumulates, or most people replace the tire early, or perhaps both.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I get 8k to 10k 2-up riding out of Dunlap D402s.
How you ride, How loaded you are and the roads you ride on all affect tire life.
Cheap mans tire depth gauge. A penny.
If you stick the top of Lincoln’s head in the tread, the In God We Trust end, and you can see the top of his head, your tire needs replacing. It is about 2/32 from the edge of the penny to top of his head.

·
Registered
779 Posts
8500 out of the 130 Dunlop, it was getting pretty 'squared off'. Went with a 140 Avon Venom out back and a 130 Venom up front. Also put on a set of Z pads.

Huge difference in ride, braking & handling!!!

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Right at 13,000 out of the stock Dunlop. What Jimaroo said is absolutely what happened with us. Tire looks great and great and suddenly ALL the tread seems to have left in about 50 miles.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Let's play a game!

What is the difference between squeezing out every possible mile out of the tire v. playing Russian Roulette? :gun:
Besides well-maintained brakes, what else but good tread keeps us from kissing the pavement?

That said, I just changed both tires at about 9,500. I am sure that there were many more miles left on the tread. But if I find myself becoming extra cautious because I know my tread is thin, what fun is that? :thumbsup:

I also took the opportunity to get rid of my laced, tubed and large whitewall tires. The effort to keep the tires and wheels looking good far exceeded their worth [to me]. The proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" was enduring a flat out in the woods of Arkansas and not being able to "patch it up" and get going.

So, I got these blacked-out 9-spoke cast wheels with all blackwall tires. Looks great! I don't recall seeing this kind of set-up in the St. Louis area.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I get about 8K per rear tire (stock dunlop).

I'll change it out at a heart beat if I'm headed out on a trip.

Never had a flat.

wyo

1 - 20 of 85 Posts