V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from a long trip. My 2001 electraglide classic has been running like a charm. Just as I got into town slowed down to let truck into parking lot, then I started to gear up and when I got to 4th pulled clutch and rear wheel locked up and started to skid and fish tale. Kept bike uder control after 350 ft skid, liquid spray on left side and liquid run off when bike stopped. Any ideas? Bike still in shop. Tks Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for your feedback. As I'm not mechanical at all this helps. My warrenty is up and I'm looking for any one else that has had this problem. What about the liquid that dumped out is this transmission oil? Have you heard of anyone else with this problem? Thanks for your help.
Ian

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Boy that sucks. Is it related to your screen name? :eek:

The Mech will tell ya what it is. In that it is in the shop, best to wait to hear from them.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Who knows, the brake is on the other side and a bearing would just ooze a bit of grease.
Once the belt is off you can tell if it is the wheel or the drive.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Will be interesting to see what the shop says, but I wonder if your transmision seized?

Please let us know when the shop notifies ya!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rear Wheel Lock up - UPDATE

Whew! Just to let everyone know. Seems a screw in the inside of the housing, which holds the internal chain snapped off. This resulted in the internal chain breaking and whipping around inside puncturing a hole in the block and jamming in the mesh of the gears. After the skid the tire was down to the last ply. The good news is my local dealer he e in Thunder Bay www.tbharley.com is going to take care of me as they determined that this should not have happened. Ted and the Gang at Thunder Bay Harley a great bunch. Looks like I’ll be back on to ride another day. Thanks for all who responded. Ian Thunder Bay Ontario. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Re: Rear Wheel Lock up - UPDATE

itopple said:
The good news is my local dealer he e in Thunder Bay www.tbharley.com is going to take care of me as they determined that this should not have happened.
WOW:eek:

I hope you're taking a couple cases of brew down to those dudes fer fixin' your sled. Sounds like a great shop.

wyo

·
Registered
903 Posts
Re: Rear Wheel Lock up - UPDATE

itopple said:
as they determined that this should not have happened.
I'm glad they came to that decision! LOL

Good to hear that you're alright and they're taking care of the damage.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Ouch!!! Glad to hear they are taking care of you like they should.
If you don't mind I am going to post a link to this in the dealership experiences section. Seems like there is nothing but negative comments in that section so maybe this will be the oddball.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts