V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone shed some light on this subject? I have a 2003 FST that I love very much but have heard from many riders that the suspension design is junk ((Dyna riders)… To each is own) But thinking about it, most motorcycles suspension designs seem to move in an arc up towards the rear seat… If that is true I would also thing that the softail design is better since it has a lower center of gravity due to the shock location… I’m no expert on this so please enlighten me if I’m incorrect. This is all from observance and not from technical data…

Regards,
:unsure:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
There is a lot of people that are anti softail I on the other hand find them to be no problem at all I've put over 500/mi per day several times and never had a problem with comfort you do get less shock travel bottom line as far as comfort is concerned if you got a 100/mi butt/back I dont care what you ride your gonna get a sore ASS so get what you like and :finger: everybody. and as for handling your rear end may be a little more stable with vertical shocks around corners, but with that said I don't have any problems blasting around corners/bends.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
i had a deuce that i put 10k miles on in less than a year. loved it. moved up to a touring bike, but not because of the suspension, by any means.

don't worry about what dyna guys say, if you love it, ride it till it needs tires. put some on and do it again

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
From an optimal functional standpoint, the softtail is not a very good design. Looks great, tho. The travel at the spring is minimal compared to swingarm travel. Therefore it seems to be oversprung to avoid bottoming out. The system is designed for a rider of 180lbs. The reason they call them "softtails" is so they can sell them, cause they ride HARD. I ended up putting an air ride system on mine, with height control as well as adjustable ride quality. Was well worth the cost.. the Deuce now rides better than my Road King.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
The softail is definitely built for looks and not as a hard cornering race machine, but it does what it does just fine. My FLSTCi suspension is box stock and the bike cruises pretty comfortably, even two up. I've done 400 miles in a day without any difficulty beyond stopping every hundred miles or so for a stretch. I haven't traveled far enough on a touring suspension (ala Road King et al) to be able to comment personally on the difference in comfort, but I know plenty of folks swear to it. All that said, my next bike will likely be one of the Glides. But I will be keeping the Heritage, too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have rode both, swing arm and soft tail, for many, many miles. I ride ST now and I find that once you get used to the difference, because there is a difference, it doen't much matter. The ST handles slightly different in the twisties than the swing arm but it, so far, has always come out the bends on its wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
If you take the time and effort to adjust your soft tail shocks till they are set up correctly for the way you will be riding then you will have no problem. I think allot of people don't like them because they just leave em the way they came from the factory which might work for some and not for others

·
Registered
265 Posts
reg26 said:
If you take the time and effort to adjust your soft tail shocks till they are set up correctly for the way you will be riding then you will have no problem. I think allot of people don't like them because they just leave em the way they came from the factory which might work for some and not for others
What sort of adjustments are you referring to?

·
Slightly Abrasive
123 Posts
DM-SC said:
What sort of adjustments are you referring to?
Adjusting the ..Preload.. using the 5$ spanner wrench form the dealer. Having the bike up off the ground makes this adj. easier. How is explained in the Service Manual.

·
Slightly Abrasive
123 Posts
DR_DEUCE said:
..... I ended up putting an air ride system on mine, with height control as well as adjustable ride quality. Was well worth the cost.. the Deuce now rides better than my Road King.....
Hey DR_DUECE.... how many miles have got on that Platinum Air suspension and about what $$$ does the setup run.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nt Train said:
Adjusting the ..Preload.. using the 5$ spanner wrench form the dealer. Having the bike up off the ground makes this adj. easier. How is explained in the Service Manual.
Thanks! I'll have to get a manual...I just picked the bike up this afternoon.:)

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Adjust your shocks and ride. The dyna riders are just jealous because we don't have those chrome cancers on our bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts