V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new rear shocks and the more I read the more I am not sure. Will progessive 444 give me a quality ride and control or do I need to go to Ohlins. I keep reading the Ohlins are more for racing and thats why they are more expensive

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Ohlins are the best and have different models (street&race) and price points.
All of them relatively expensive.
There are other good choices too.

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
Hello and welcome from an ex-philly burber Dprintz. What model bike are you thinking of shock replacement for? I'm currently in the hunt for rear shock replacement for my 14 SG. Curious where this thread goes...

·
not sober all the time
5,523 Posts
I purchased my 2004 FLHRSI (Road King Custom) new in 2004. The Custom originally came with 12" air shocks and I replaced them in 2007 with 12 1/2" Progressive 440's. After 10 years they went bad and Progressive replaced them with 444's. Lifetime warranty and saving the receipt is good! The ride with the 440 was better than stock until they went bad and the 444 is at least as good, maybe better. In mean time I purchased a new 2015 FLHTCU Ultra Classic. The ride of the Ultra with factory air shocks is quite a bit better than the Custom with Progressive shocks.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of 13" Ohlins HD 159 shocks. Adjustable preload, length and rebound dampening. I ordered over the phone straight from Ohlins USA in North Carolina. I installed them on the RK Custom first. The results were better than expected. I was surprised how much better they were than the Progressive 444's.

I then installed them on my Ultra. The ride was improved but the difference wasn't as dramatic as it was on the RK Custom. Of course it rides better than the Custom. I didn't get to ride much on the Ultra as the rain cut my test ride short. Even without making any adjustments, it was a very nice ride.

I'd like to try a set on my wife's Street Bob. I bet they would make that Dyna ride pretty nice. I may surprise her and slip a pair on it while she's at work.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I put a set of Progressives on my Street Bob shortly after I got it. The stock shocks were a joke so I thought this would be an upgrade. It was but fell short of what I expected. Then I got with Howard at Motorcycle Metal and he built me a pair of Ohlins that blew me away. They cost a bit more but are so much better in every aspect of riding.

·
not sober all the time
5,523 Posts
I put a set of Progressives on my Street Bob shortly after I got it. The stock shocks were a joke so I thought this would be an upgrade. It was but fell short of what I expected. Then I got with Howard at Motorcycle Metal and he built me a pair of Ohlins that blew me away. They cost a bit more but are so much better in every aspect of riding.
Which shock did you get?

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
Interesting, I know there are a few different model Ohlins, And who might be the Ohlin dealer to talk to for input ? Any guidance...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I decided to go with the Ohlins. The least expensive version. Called Howard first and went through the dog and pony show. Told me 3’s for $800 plus (he said over 1k retail) on the phone tweaked to my exact specs before and after taking a s:”$t. Got the invoice for 2’s and called him up. Said he was sorry and would resend updated invoice. Never got updated invoice. I’m thankful because it got me to do some due dillagence. Called Ohlin USA. All the guts are the same just more whistles and bells-adjustments/external reservoir etc. Said they are all valved optimally so valving will never be an issue. Found a pair on eBay. $572 to my door. Ohlin dealer/seller. Glad I looked around. Had a set 412’s on a new FLHTC in 97 and they sucked a tiny bit less that original. Stock height is what I’m going with. We cruise and stay well within our limits so I don’t need all the extra adjustments.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Interesting, I know there are a few different model Ohlins, And who might be the Ohlin dealer to talk to for input ? Any guidance...
Motorcycle Metal is the place to buy Ohlins. Guys name is Howard. He answers his phone seven days a week and will build a shock to meet your needs. To some he seems a little coarse but the guy is a mountain of info on suspension components. My Ohlins are the finest shock absorbers I have ever owned, bar none. Hope this helps.

www.motorcyclemetal.com!!thumbs

·
Registered
138 Posts
there is no comparison!! progressives help but ohlins as well as Penske + others are in a class of their own + can be rebuilt if needed. beside shock quality fitment, that is the setup for weight + riding style is most important as better matching fork function!! great suspension is $$$. when i got my Penske i called the Reading, Pa factory close to me told the tech what i wanted + it built for ME, not a "just close" off the shelf unit!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've installed Ohlins for a customer on three of his bikes. Amazing shocks, Howard was super helpful. For me, however, I can't justify the price.

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
progressive aren't really an upgrade,,, they are just new, cost more than oem,, and their marketing dept,,, sells them to you..
ohlins are very good..
how you set up your bikes suspension,,, is very important... too low.and mushy or stiff, it could be a disaster... or not?

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
I've installed Ohlins for a customer on three of his bikes. Amazing shocks, Howard was super helpful. For me, however, I can't justify the price.
I hear you on the price. Haven't called yet but I expect to have some sticker shock when I hear the figure...

·
not sober all the time
5,523 Posts
I hear you on the price. Haven't called yet but I expect to have some sticker shock when I hear the figure...
The reason I didn't contact Howard @ motorcylemetal.com is the manner in which he markets his products. Ohlins products have model and/or part numbers. Howard uses his own numbers. Maybe he does his magic to the products and transforms them to something better than what Ohllins offers.

The features of his #3 line of shock @ $1007.19 matches the features of Ohlins HD159 which retails for $875 and can be purchased for a bit less at some dealers with free shipping. BUT, he offers discounts to members of certain forums. Maybe he offers everyone a discount. Maybe he knows more than everyone at Ohlins USA, I don't know. He does have a very large following.

I just didn't care for the marketing. I called Ohlins and ordered at retail.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts