V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a question to the board...
I took my rear shocks out of storage(2 years), and one of them is covered in oil.

Where did it leak from?
How can I fill it up again?
What oil should I use?

These shocks were new take offs and have no miles on them. There is a cap on the air fitting so I am not sure where the oil came from.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

Brad

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
i would look for a new set, prefably the progressives, buy thats a whole 'nother thread. Honesty i would check a couple local dealers as they very well may have some new take off hanging around. If not keep an eye on the classified section, they pop up there once and a while...If no luck there go online and get 20 off at some dealers...

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Considering they are brand new shocks, the most probable place for the leak would be where the cap is on the air fitting. When these type of shocks are removed, most shops will put a threaded plug into the air hole not some kind of cap on it.

You can salvage the shock/s by draining completely and fill with approx 11.5 oz of 10wt Showa Suspension oil.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The same thing happened to myself. To get oil back into the shock ,you have to fully compress the shock. I jacked up the rear of my truck, put shock under rear hitch and SLOWLY lower truck to compress shock. start putting oil in hole while slowly raising truck until shock is fully expanded.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again!!

Slime, Ed Y, thanks guys. I knew I could ask here and I would be set straight.

Thanks,

Brad

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
slime said:
The same thing happened to myself. To get oil back into the shock ,you have to fully compress the shock. I jacked up the rear of my truck, put shock under rear hitch and SLOWLY lower truck to compress shock. start putting oil in hole while slowly raising truck until shock is fully expanded.
Damn, thats dangerous. Shock could slip and fly off hitting something/someone. Better solution is to go to a pep-boys/kragen/auto-zone and pick up a shock compressor. Some places rent them. Or go to an indi shop and see if they'll compress it for you so you can add the oil etc. Good luck...

·
Registered
83 Posts
petrock said:
Damn, thats dangerous. Shock could slip and fly off hitting something/someone. Better solution is to go to a pep-boys/kragen/auto-zone and pick up a shock compressor. Some places rent them. Or go to an indi shop and see if they'll compress it for you so you can add the oil etc. Good luck...

I had a wood block above and below the shock. There was no problem at all. If I thought it was dangerous I wouldn't have posted it . It went smooth as silk. Really.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Ed Y said:
Considering they are brand new shocks, the most probable place for the leak would be where the cap is on the air fitting. When these type of shocks are removed, most shops will put a threaded plug into the air hole not some kind of cap on it.

You can salvage the shock/s by draining completely and fill with approx 11.5 oz of 10wt Showa Suspension oil.
How do you know how much oil to put back in the shocks? It isn't in the service manual anywhere.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well here is the results of my research on rear shock fluids.
12oz. 10 wt shock oil, not fork oil.
I used a turkey baster and drained a good shock, 12 oz came out so I put 12 oz back in that one and the one that leaked out.
The turkey baster fit right into the shock fitting and made draining and refilling a 2 minute deal.

Done!

Brad

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go to the dirt bike type stores. Those motocross guys have serviceable shocks and can get several weight of shock oil.

I used a bulb type siphon (turkey baster) to suck out all the oil and put in 12oz of the new stuff.

Just like new....

Brad

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks R man

There are several places like that round here ,should not be a proplem. BUT what about that compressing of the shock someone else posted is that necessary ? I have a set of new ones that were stored on there side and you know the rest !

·
Registered
20 Posts
I messed around with a set of take offs that lost oil. Nice to hear the amounts of oil and where to get it. I was able to use a mighty vac pump to draw the air out and the oil in. Kind of reverse bleeding. Works well and then to be sure I made a mount for the shock to compress it in the press. The press if fitted will confirm the shock spring pressure and that it is not overfilled which could be bad. You can weigh them with an accurate scale too. I cut an old one apart and it would be a waste of time if you want to reuse it. They are disposable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts