V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's a new one..I think! I did a search, but nothing came up with this particular problem. My wife has a '97 Dyna Wide and she pulls up next to me and pointed down at the rear wheel. The inner ring of the rear pully was off. It was just spinning around on the axle of the bike.

The problem is that the ring appears to be steel and the pulley itself is aluminum. I'm guessing that a few spot welds are out of the question. Drilling and setting screws might be a thought, but.... The HD shop wants an arm and leg for a new one! I'm not sure on what the teeth count is, but I'm sure I can figure that one by calling the HD shop and maybe get one from Ebay.

Anyone have the same experience and what was your resolve??
Thanks,
Flatline

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
The steel ring you mentioned, if I remember correctly, is just peened on. I had never thought about drilling and tapping holes to hold it back on before but suppose that could be done. I would just replace it. As for a used pulley, I would get a new one. If you can find a new one on eBay, then have at it. I believe it is a 70 tooth pulley, but count them. You should be able to find one at 20% off at an online dealer. You will need the correct part number for that.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
put the ring back on the pully buy tapping it with a hammer.get a center punch and and go all the way around the pully every few inches centerpunching the pully (alum part)near the steel ring. mine fell of once and this is how i got mine to stay on. rode it like that for about 12 years before i replaced it.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
This just happened to me today. While riding in a toy run we made a left hand turn and I heard a ringing noise like a piece of metal just touching something enough to ring. Bike seemed fine but at the end of the run this steel ring from the inside of the rear pully was lying on the rear hub. Placed it back in position and squeezed on with my fingers and rode it home. Thinking about some JB weld to see if that will secure it. Called to local dealer and asked if they had ever heard of this and they said no and in a week and $170.00 dollars they would have a new one in.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It happened to me on my 2002 Super Glide. I had the folks at the dealership install a new one. The service manager said that it happens every once in a while -- a factory defect, but good luck if it is out of warranty.

Tom :cool:

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
JB Weld isn't going to do it. If you pull the pulley and set the ring back on, you could then pean it on again. Think of the safety implications if you chose to go with the $4 JB Weld fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts