V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Street Bob for about 7 weeks and 950 miles.

The rear pulley where the belt runs looks pitted and rough. The plating seems to be coming off. The belt looks OK but what should I expect, should it be shiney and smooth or what.

I have used the bike through some pretty dire weather but have washed it down well. It should stand that shouldn't it?

I have the 1000m service soon so I need some ammunition. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
54 Posts
at that milage surely its a plating fault . to put it mildly if it was mine they would be replacing it even if its just as a good will gesture . good luck .

·
Registered
63 Posts
The tooth surface of mine ('03 FXDL) also appeared pitted and rough at low miles. The ('03) service manual states: "If chrome chips or gouges to rear sprocket are large enough to be harmful, they will leave a pattern on the belt face." The sevice manual also says to check the chrome plating by dragging a sharp knife or scribe across the bottom of a groove with medium pressure. If it slides across without leaving a mark, the plating is good and if it digs in, the chrome is gone and you are into bare aluminum. Beats me what medium pressure means.:dunno: At any rate, mine passed that test and the belt appeared (and still appears) to be smooth. So I rode it and it didn't get any worse in appearence. I have replaced my sprocket with a Thunderstar model, but due to Winter :( have not been able to ride to see if the new pulley tooth surface becomes marked up. IMO, if you can see the chrome plating peeling off, you have a problem. I don't know for sure but pitted and rough appearence may be normal. If you have the chance, look at some other low mileage bikes and compare.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input.

The only other Harleys I've seen around here have belt drive primary and chain secondary so I'll have to ride out to a dealer and compare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts