V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 Low Rider had 5,500 miles and I thing I'm hearing "funny noises".

What are the symptoms of a bad rear primary bearing?

Dealer can't get the bike in for a few days.

Thanks,
Sammi

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Sammi said:
'06 Low Rider had 5,500 miles and I thing I'm hearing "funny noises".

What are the symptoms of a bad rear primary bearing?

Dealer can't get the bike in for a few days.

Thanks,
Sammi
Sure it's not a loose chain....maybe a bit of adjustment is in order.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes a whirling sound when the bike is in neutral and the clutch is out.

Just got back from the dealer - they're going to try and squeeze me.

Sammi

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Sammi said:
Makes a whirling sound when the bike is in neutral and the clutch is out.

Sammi
That's what mine did. Same mileage too. They didn't charge me a penny. Under warranty.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Sammi said:
Did you have any problems with the new bearing?

Thanks,
Sammi
Not yet. But I'm only at 6500 miles. Dealer said it was a defective part from the supplier. If he is right, I don't expect any problems.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer called last night - it's the rear primary bearing. They're having the bearing shipped overnight and I should be on the road today.

The dealership owner seems like a stand-up guy and told me this is the first one they're had to replace. Whenever I visit other delearships I make it a point to talk to one of the techs and ask if they've had to preplace a failed rear primary bearing on '06 Dynas, and so far no one has.

Does anyone kow if this was an isolated problem with a bad batch of bearings, or are they blowing smoke?

Sammi

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I have an '06 FXDI and I had the bearing replaced yesterday.
It had 11,341 miles on it. This was my first bearing that I
had to replace. About a month after the warranty expired.

·
Registered
96 Posts
06 88 said:
I have an '06 FXDI and I had the bearing replaced yesterday.
It had 11,341 miles on it. This was my first bearing that I
had to replace. About a month after the warranty expired.
What was the cost to replace the bearing? My warranty just ran out and I'm wondering what it costs.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
They charged me $278.02 total bill but in that bill
they charged an hours labor to install a rear sproket
cover. So I guess the bearing replacement was
$197.77 tax included. Also included In that figure
was a quart of 20W-50 and it was $9.95 + tax.
I have the bill at work. I thought the bill was fair.
Bill
'06 FXDI

·
Banned
124 Posts
Theres no way they should charge you for bearing on a 06 when you have the papers stating it neeeded replaced at 15k then hd sent the other paper out saying it was no longer nesesary.

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
Is this the bearing that comes installed on the inner primary case when replacing it with a chrome one?The reason I ask is bacause I have a new inner primary cover and need to check the date of manufacture before I install it with the supplied bearing.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Iam glad I found this forum my names mike from wales uk this is my first post so hello from wales.
I bought one of the first streetbobs to enter the uk in sept 05,Ive realy enjoyed riding this bike the gearbox has been good to use until july this year.
The bike started to make a bearing type noise from the primary area when in nuetral with the clutchout at this time the noise wasnt very loud.With 3 weeks of the warranty left took it back to the dealer they agreed it needed looking at but were busy till the end of sept but would honour my warranty even though it would have run out by then.I asked if it would be ok to ride told me it would be ok.I kept using the bike every day for work and weekend rides seemed no worst until one day riding with my son in snowdonia the noise turn louder nurse the bike home .Rang the dealer told him I wasnt happy when could he look at it this was now 5 weeks after id reported the noise.
It took another 3 weeks to get it in (oct17) its still there now .they have found the problem abearing has spun in the caseing .so a new case is required and bearings etc
they agreed to do it on waranty but could i contribute to labour costs.
after reminding them of when the fault had been reported they agreed to do it.well thats my story so far not a happy rider been off the road now 6 weeks first time in 32 years first new bike first harley.
will keep the forum up to date of any progress.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts