V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this FXR game and starting with a bare 1992 frame so I have no reference. Can anybody post the rear fender mounting bolt specs?

·
Registered
715 Posts
As far as the fender struts go, if you want to use the RT bags or RP bags, you need the RP-style struts.
You also need those struts without bags, if you want to mount the shocks in the "Buell position" (more upright) instead of the "Willie G position" (more angled).
The 92 frame has the shock mounting holes for both positions.
If you want the more angled shock position, you need the 87up fender struts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you asking for the torque or the type of bolt?

Type of bolt go to Ronnies HD and use their parts finder. You can punch in year and model and it will give you the schematic and parts numbers you need. If you want to source the bolts yourself you can then google the parts numbers and that will generally net you the bolt size information.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
89 Posts
Most every bolt on a Harley is 5/16 or 3/8 grade 5 coarse thread, except critical fasteners like brakes are grade 8 and motor mounts are fine thread. So you can get the bolt and nut that fits the hole and is about the right length. Fender bolts can't be too long so they won't hit the tire.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found my notes and what I did was ordered 3/8" - 24 x 2.5" ARP Bolts with corresponding nuts for the fenders. My shock mounts I picked up ARP's from bareknuckl.

·
Registered
450 Posts
New to this FXR game and starting with a bare 1992 frame so I have no reference. Can anybody post the rear fender mounting bolt specs?

Have you considered going to one of the many online oem parts finders and searching for YOUR specific model and year? The nuts and bolts are not obsolete, but that is irrelevant, once you have looked up the oem part numbers you can then convert them into common SAE sizes. Its not hard. That being said, if you are asking about bolt sizes for fender struts, well, best of luck with your project.

·
Registered
94 Posts
nuts and bolts are not obsolete. If you like, you can look up the part number in the parts manual. it will tell you the size, pitch length and type of every bolt with a part number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts