V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you swap a Softail rear fender onto a Dyna? I have 2003 Dyna that I want to put a lower fender on. I'm not really interested in a fiberglass unless it's a last choice. Thanks

Tim

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Nope. Different mounting.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
The Dynas are tough in that they have a unique distance between fender struts. You can carefully squeeze a 7" in there. I tried a FXR Fender designed and sold as a Dresser style for FXR. Nothing about it fit even close. Might as well build a whole fender. Thats what I am doing. I had a nice Sumax dresser style composite on there and it was a great fender. It however, did not survive the automobile impact and Sumax only makes one other version for 99 and earlier. They no longer make the one I had. I tried various combos of fenders but ultimately it's between the struts and the strange curves around the dyna frame along with a few other quirks that won't allow anything but a Dyna fender to fit. I cut the lower section off my stock Dyna fender, just above the license mount as I want a smooth fender with no tail light mounted. I then cut and reshaped the very end to flare out like a dresser fender, and I am adding metal in between to lengthen it. So far so good! Glad I got a good bro that can weld very nicely!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Sumax looks nice but it isn't drilled. I was looking for more of a bolt on.

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
cs1 said:
The Sumax looks nice but it isn't drilled. I was looking for more of a bolt on.

Tim

Tim, Drilling is the easy part! High speed drill bit, and masking tape the area to be drilled! I doubt you will find a bolt on unless you go with a Harley Bobbed. I searched high and low! Even ebay for a pre used!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rickr01 said:
Tim, Drilling is the easy part! High speed drill bit, and masking tape the area to be drilled! I doubt you will find a bolt on unless you go with a Harley Bobbed. I searched high and low! Even ebay for a pre used!
The Sumax, style wise, was basically what I was looking for. I have little or no body experience. So fitting and drilling were a little more than I think I can do. They do look nice though. Thanks

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
cs1 said:
The Sumax, style wise, was basically what I was looking for. I have little or no body experience. So fitting and drilling were a little more than I think I can do. They do look nice though. Thanks

Tim

Tim,

I didn't have body experience either. The Sumax fender has the correct shape, so it makes it easy. I set a wood block on the wheel as a starting point and set the fender between the struts. Since it is not painted at this point you don't have to worry about scratches. I then placed my seat in the front mounting tab. Then adjust the fender up or down until the seat just barely rests on the fender. You now have the correct fender height using the seat as your guide. push the fender forward tight against the frame, have a friend hold it steady and drill right through your fender struts into and through the fender. Drill your seat hole right where the seat tab falls and a final hole in the front of the fender where it bolts to the frame. This hole I marked with a marker then drilled off the bike so I did not have to pull off the rear wheel. It is really easy. If you can operate a drill, you can do this just take your time. The seat and fender struts will be your guide and give you precise hole locations. If you are still not comfortable doing this have a friend who is handy with tools help you. If you place the seat and adjust the fender up or down as mentioned, you cant go wrong. Use rags wood blocks or whatever you on the tire to hold the fender at the right height. My buddy used a beer can and pushed on it and let it crush down to the right height. Whatever you have!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.