V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 04 FXDWG (7K mi) in Dec. for my wife. Everything checked out when it was picked up. Ran fine. Had the bike sitting in a freinds garage until the end of Feb when I gave it to my wife for her B-day. Went to start it up and drive it over and it was very hard to get going. When it did fireup it ran pretty rough. I just assumed it's been sitting a while and needed tio blow out the cobwebs. It was also in the 20's.
Anyway it warmed up the other day and she wanted to take it for a spin around the block. When it fired up it would only run on the front cyclinder. It would actually run good with out and misfiring or poping. I pulled the plugs and found the front was nicely colored and the back was black and wet. Turning over the engine and checking sprark checked out OK for both plugs. But you could see a lot of fuel blowing out of the rear cyclinder. Cleaning the plug and restarting allowed both cylinders to fire up but only for a breif monment then the rear would cut out again. Checked the exhaust nuts and carb fixturing for tightnes and potential leaks. Checked out OK. need to double check with some carb cleaner or WD40. Put in new gas (tank was originally almost empty- I know- not good for condensation). Again cleaned and swaped plugs. Now after firing up it will run on both cyclinders but the rear one still misses quit a bit and when RPM are increased it will pop and backfire only through the rear exhaust. Whether enriched or not does not make a difference.

Anyway I kinda got egg on my face with wife- giving her a bike she can't even take a spin on. Will see about getting it over the a shop and have it checked out but was wondering if there's something obvious I'm overlooking. Does this lean toward more of an electrical issue (coil, plug wire, timing?) or a intake/exhaust issue? (valves, jets, water in carb, leaks?)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
My gut tells me it's electrical

Electrical.
Check the contacts all the way back starting with with the plugs. Yes, start with "new" plugs like Megaglide suggested. Clean plug wire contacts etc. If the plugs are wet, it sounds like electrical. If you checked for spark, it could still be a short. Good luck.
Nothin like fried egg on the face with the OL. Especially when you try to do it right.
-2$en#e-

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Just seeing a spark doesn't mean you'll get fire. If the coil is going bad(not sure if the coils are independent on these) or you have a bad plug wire you can get a spark and it may even look decent but if the voltage isn't there the mixture turbulence in the cylinder can blow it out like a candle. Get new plugs and wires and check the output voltage on the coil.

Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New set of Champion plugs solved the problem.

That realy suprised me. I've fouled lot of plugs before and always got them cleaned up enough with sand paper and a wire wheel to get things going again. I guess the TC88 is pretty sensitive to optimum spark. Seems like indexing the plugs would be benificial in getting the best output from this motor.

Thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts