V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just wanting imfo on TC rear cam o-Ring. When using gear drive cams . Is the o-Ring on the rear cam still used? If so can the O-Ring be put on after the cams are installed in the cam plate. I can find the spacer, washer, and oil ring as a complete package but would like to just have the o-ring and not the other parts. if anyone has the part number for just the o-ring could you share it with me. This is a 2006 TC soon to be a 98" . Thanks for any help

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have never worked with the gear driven cams. However, I have installed this o-ring and I do not see how it would be possilbe to install the o-ring after the cams are installed into the cam plate. It is too small to be put on after the cams are already in the plate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The "o" ring is used to locate the washer that goes behind the inner bearing race.The "o" ring goesinta a groove in the cam then install the washer the "o" ring fits inside the washer then press on the bearing race up to the washer/spacer this is of course after you install your gears.You are now ready to install the cams into the plate.
Hope this helps: Big Al

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The rear cam O ring is used with the outer roller bearing on chain drive cams as mentioned above, to center the inner .055" spacer while installing the bearing inner race

The gear cams don't use the O ring or the .055" spacers, the ball bearings just are pressed on.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
HIPPO said:
The rear cam O ring is used with the outer roller bearing on chain drive cams as mentioned above, to center the inner .055" spacer while installing the bearing inner race

The gear cams don't use the O ring or the .055" spacers, the ball bearings just are pressed on.
That's how mine worked...ya get ta trash a lot of now useless crap...

·
Registered
82 Posts
You want to replace that ball bearing with the roller.The ball bearings use on the early tc88's rear cam fail and were replaced with the (flat) roller bearing.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Al, I understand the original question to be "when using gear drive cams"
If the roller bearing is used with gear drive one loses end play control of the rear cam, this is why they retain the ball bearing on the front cam even with chain drive.

I suppose the original question should be clarified.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hippo As you asked i will try and clear up my Question for imfo on the rear cam o-ring. I am going to install woods tw8 cam and i have been told diff things about using the o-ring . I am building a 98" BB motor. My question is , when using gear driven cams as the tw8 for my build and not using the chain drive. Do i still use the o-ring , spacer, and washer as the stock chain driven cams use. Hope this clears up my original Post for the o-ring imfo. Thanks to all for the help

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Read Hippos' first post.
HIPPO: The rear cam O ring is used with the outer roller bearing on chain drive cams as mentioned above, to center the inner .055" spacer while installing the bearing inner race

He answered your question. O ring and spacer washer not required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts