V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed new bearings and installed wheel and the rotor is rubbing on the caliper bracket , can anyone help me with this please ?

·
Registered
965 Posts
you got the axle spacers swapped??.side to side?..you got the same size bearings?..stock or sealed? stock i think they take shims and you have to shim correctly..did it a while back on my front...cant remember if i did the rears....but shimming is a small parameter to be causing rubbing on the caliper.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the spacers correct the large one on the left side and small on the right, and I bought the bearings for the year and make of my bike both front and rear are same bearings

·
Registered
825 Posts
Maybe when you went to install the pads, they both got accidently installed on the same side of the disk. It's possible. Lots of things to look at while installing wheel, axle spacers, caliper, and pads.

·
Super Moderator
21,068 Posts
It's going to be something you just did. Usually a spacer. But could also be the bearings are installed wrong. I even saw one were the wheel was on backwards.

·
Registered
825 Posts
... I even saw one were the wheel was on backwards.
I could probably see that on the front with twin brakes, but on the rear is waaaay out there.

If you did that, you need to stop smoking when you work on your bike, or smoke a lot more.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the stack correct i.e. wheel bearing, spacer, caliper bracket, swing arm.
All stock
I could probably see that on the front with twin brakes, but on the rear is waaaay out there.

If you did that, you need to stop smoking when you work on your bike, or smoke a lot more.
i don’t use drugs of any kind and that kind of comment is complete bullshit !!!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
You don't have to convince me you're drug free. Go ahead and reread my whole post. I was making a comment on the complete implausibility of what I quoted, not on whether your screen name had any special meaning. It obviously went flying clear over your head.

·
Super Moderator
21,068 Posts

It was a hard tail conversion on a sporty, and the guy was using the wheel off of a big twin. The tail kit came with an axle and spacers that were marked left and right. But it assumed the wheel was not turned backwards.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
What kind and year of bike? Is it a stock wheel, brake, etc? What are you calling a caliper bracket? Posting pictures to show what you are talking about could help. A picture might show what you got wrong.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind and year of bike? Is it a stock wheal, brake, etc? What are you calling a caliper bracket? Posting pictures to show what you are talking about could help. A picture might show what you got wrong.
Well I found out that I was told wrong about what bearing to install first , and I installed the left one first and that was the problem removed them bought a new set and installed the right one first and that solved the problem. And thanks for your help.

·
not sober all the time
5,908 Posts
Well I found out that I was told wrong about what bearing to install first , and I installed the left one first and that was the problem removed them bought a new set and installed the right one first and that solved the problem. And thanks for your help.
A service manual can help at times.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think it was somewhere between a 1991 and 2017, and a Dyna of some sort. Just because he posted in the Dyna forum.

And wheel bearings, since he said front and rear.

How close to stock would be anybody's guess. Lots of years for mods. And how many hands did it go through before it became OP's pride and joy. Who knows? It might even have that backwards wheel hardtail kit on it.

If it's his first Harley, he probably doesn't know what is stock or not if he didn't buy it new off the showroom floor. I know I didn't. It's just whatever the seller told him it was.

And yes, an official fsm will save you a lot of grief, not to mention pay for itself many times over if you plan to do your own work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts