V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 10K miles on my O4 RoadKing, and while I was cleaning my rims and tires, I inspected my brake pads, and it looks like I should replace my rear brake pads.

Can someone provide me with step by step removal and installation instructions, including the type of tools to use to remove the the four bolts on the brake cyclinders.

Thank You

Jlopez

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Four bolts? Unless the '04 calipers are different, you only have to remove the 2 pad pins. You will need a 12 pt. 1/4 socket to take them out. Just loosen your master cylinder cover, take out the pins and the pads will fall out. Use a putty knife of similar to push the pistons in the calipers. Stick the pads back in and replace the pins. Tighten MC cover and pump up brakes before you ride off.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
Nope they are the same.. Piece of cake. You might want to consider changing your pads to Lyndall Z pads. I can't say enough how much of an improvement they are over stock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Folks,

Thanks for the information. It should be a simple process, and at some point I will buy the Service Manaual.

Bigguy, I'm currently looking at the Lydal z pads, I may get a set for the back, and then when the time comes, I will replace the front.

Thanks

Jlopez

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I just replace my rear pads with the lydall z, around 10,500 miles. Here is how I did it although it's pretty simple...

Loosen master cylinder cover. Pushed the piston back on the pad on the outside of the rotor first. Took out the two bolts and removed the outer pad.

Put the new outer pad in and loosely put the bolts in. Pump the brake pedal a few times so the outer pad will squeeze against the rotor.

Work on pushing the inner piston back, remove the bolts and remove the inner pad.

Replace inner pad, put a little antiseize on the bolts and torque to spec. Pump brake a few times to ensure the pads are against the rotor, don't forget this step.

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
BTW just in case you have never changed pads on a bike before... You need to wear them in a bit before they grab well. Break in could take as much as 100 miles. Take it to a parking lot and do some progressive stopping 10mph-0 then 20-0, 30-0 etc. Don't be caught off guard needing them when you take the bike out for the first time. Give yourself plenty of room for a bit.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Are you sure it is 1/4 12pt, I though was 10 or 12mm. Nothing I have fits. Been using channel locks, good thing I got bags. Getting ready to do front soon though, and will need proper tool for the job.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
berserker said:
Are you sure it is 1/4 12pt, I though was 10 or 12mm. Nothing I have fits. Been using channel locks, good thing I got bags. Getting ready to do front soon though, and will need proper tool for the job.
Channel locks? Blasphemy! You should be ashamed of yourself!

Confusius say: "When the only tool you have is a hammer, you treat everything as if it was a nail".

·
Registered
145 Posts
definately 12pt 1/4 socket for the (2 pins). I have every tool imaginable but I had to run to sears one night to get this. The other bolts are metric.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definately 12pt 1/4 for the two pins, and 10mm for the two bolts that hold the caliper inplace.

I took a look last night at the tools, and I will have to buy the 12pt 1/4 socket to remove the pins.

Thanks for the replies.

JLopez

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
YankeeBob said:
Channel locks? Blasphemy! You should be ashamed of yourself!

Confusius say: "When the only tool you have is a hammer, you treat everything as if it was a nail".
Sometimes you just got to get the job done. LIke I said glad the bags cover it. Will get the right tool for the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts