V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 heritage softail. Rear axle slides in from the right making it a pain to get out from that side. Any problems sliding it in from the left side? Axle is same diamater from end to end, not stepped.
Dumbo

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I believe the standard philosophy on this is with the axle installed from the right, if it binds on the bearings, it will rotate in a direction that tightens the nut. If it is installed from the left and binds it rotates in a direction that actually loosens the nut. From the factory they are all installed from the right.
With that said, I have the axel on my Heritage installed from the left. The pipe makes it diffficult to install from the right. I have never had a problem.
That is just me, and I cannot recommend doing what I have done. It is your own decision, and you accept all risk if you install your from the left. It is not recommended. My lawyer told me to say that.
Just read the thread Vienna posted. You will get many opinions on this. Do what makes you feel safe.

·
Premium Member
3,290 Posts
Fully agree with Little Bear, put mine in from the left at my own risk. For a left side installed axle nut come loose, a few things have to happen in short order:
  • Seizure of the wheel bearing (or anything that will lock the hub with the axle)
  • Failure of the security pin

Then the nut will come loose and do its thing. IMHO fairly low probability, but I agree it's your decision. Occasional check of the security pin is not a bad idea........

PS: If a total seizure of the rear wheel bearings happens while doing some sweeping turns, you'll very likely gonna kiss the road anyway.......

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the versus is choosen because if nuts will loose the axle whont shift out completely been trapped by the muffler. When I spocke about to the mech he said rear forks legs are diefferent and the whay you tightent the nuts can affect them. But he also added taht this was what he had been told from moco, while for his experience no matter in reversing. at all

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Or...... Go have an axle machined with left-handed threads. Then, bring it to the dealer for a tire change and watch the MOCO mechs go apesh*t trying to get it off!!!!:harhar:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.