V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,

Had a go at removing the wheel rear today, and although the manual says thew axel just slides out, I've tried bashing it out with a rubber mallett and even tried a 7lb sledge (I did protect the end of the axel before the sledge came out )but the axel wont budge at all. I can twist it ok but it will not slide out.

I'm guessing that its corroded and siezed to the bearings or the internal bearing spacer. I guess the muppets at the factory didnt bother greasing it up at assembly . Any ideas, as I dont really want to take it to the dealer, I have a tyre but I bet the dealer will charge a couple of hundred quid for the privaledge of fitting it.

At the moment I've tried to get some WD40 to seep in but I am not too hopefull it will penetrate enough.

I've done a quick search on the site, but cant believe I am the only poor unfortunate.

Any help suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
WildBill2566 said:
Ok guys,

Had a go at removing the wheel rear today, and although the manual says thew axel just slides out, I've tried bashing it out with a rubber mallett and even tried a 7lb sledge (I did protect the end of the axel before the sledge came out )but the axel wont budge at all. I can twist it ok but it will not slide out.

I'm guessing that its corroded and siezed to the bearings or the internal bearing spacer. I guess the muppets at the factory didnt bother greasing it up at assembly . Any ideas, as I dont really want to take it to the dealer, I have a tyre but I bet the dealer will charge a couple of hundred quid for the privaledge of fitting it.

At the moment I've tried to get some WD40 to seep in but I am not too hopefull it will penetrate enough.

I've done a quick search on the site, but cant believe I am the only poor unfortunate.

Any help suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Try a penetrating oil. WD40 is junk, it'll turn to varnish when it dries. Put some penetrating oil on, tap it a few times and wait. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
2012 FLTRX, 2014 FLHTK
160 Posts
Make sure your axle tensioner bolts are loose or all the way out. Your wheel should be able to slide back and forth. If they are still tight the axle will not come out. I know I've forgotten to loosen those before.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Keep using the penetrating oil///

Then, when you do get it out you might want to run a little emory cloth up and down it (then clean with brake cleaner) before you put the anti-seize lube on it. I just removed mine last weekend and it had a little surface corrosion on it. I think I'm going to make a habit of removing it every siz months or so and re-grease it since it seems to take very little for the rust to start attacking it. BTW, the dealership had my axle out about 4-5 months ago and it looked like they didn't put any anti-seize on the axle. That's why I'm doing it from now on plus I saved about $120 bucks by doing it myself.

remember not to use too much... just a light coat.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
That is exactly what i do rpbrock. When you do finally get the wheel off, like rpbrock said a little emory cloth on the axle itself and check out the bearings and spacers on the wheels and the outer spacers as they corrode very quickly. I have found this more noticeable if you wash the bike a lot,ride in the rain or store bike outside in weather..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it out and used the penetrating oil as advised, as I suspected not even a sniff of grease used during assembly, its bloody disgraceful on a bike of this quality, even a novice would have thought to coat it with copper grease, or at least some sort of protection.

My bike is less than two years old, pampered, garaged, and maintained. I would strongly suggest as soon as anyone gets a new bike pull the axels and give em a coat of copper grease.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Always grease your axle before you put it in her rear end.
Good advice..................
Sparky88:D

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
sparky88 said:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!:cheers:

·
Even my cologne is chrome
87 Posts
Det-riot

sparky88 said:
Sparky, good one! Looking at your banner, I see you are from Detriot.

Being from Detroit, I get the pun that you are living in Detriot (a nearby suburb). After the Tigers '84 and the Pistons, your 'Riot name is perhaps more fitting.

If you didn't mean it and it's just a typo, leave it! It works. :thumbsup:

-MFB

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have never loosened tenioners when removing tire. Just take of castle nut. I have a steel bar I tap into hole and it comes right out other side. Could try pushing up on tire with your kness while tapping. Take some pressure off.

I go through 1+ tires a year, so no problem. Bought used and was on there for 3 years, still problem. I would be reluctant to start beating on it. Slow down and study it make your it is as it appears.

I have more trouble getting it back in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts