V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I backed my DWG into my welding table and put a BB size nick in the outer lip back fender paint. I was at the dealer picking up parts and asked about some touch up paint and sure enough, they had it! Cool, I thought, until I saw the $17.50 price tag on a bottle that resembled a White Out bottle, pass on that. Darn, why was that so expensive!!!!!!

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Thomas Howard said:
Because they have it, you need it, and it says Harley Davidson on the bottle.
Ding....ding....ding....we have a winner. :thanks:

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
^rolleyez^ :yes:

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
cheap

I'd say 17.50 is getting off cheap out of any HD dealership. Be lucky you didn't need to buy a new painted fender from them....Just take the vaseline with you and ask for a kiss when they're done.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
I dinged up my front fender of my Smokey Gold Road king a couple years ago. The dealer wanted $350 for a new painted fender. I took it to the local body shop. They have a chromotography camera (or whatever it is called). They were able to scan the paint, mix it themselves and fix my fender. I got out of that for $150.00. I was a happy camper until when I went to reinstall it, I dropped it on my garage floor. Back to the body shop. He let me off the hook for $80.00 and a tongue lashing.

YB

·
Not-so-Fatboy
1,115 Posts
YankeeBob said:
I dinged up my front fender of my Smokey Gold Road king a couple years ago. The dealer wanted $350 for a new painted fender. I took it to the local body shop. They have a chromotography camera (or whatever it is called). They were able to scan the paint, mix it themselves and fix my fender. I got out of that for $150.00. I was a happy camper until when I went to reinstall it, I dropped it on my garage floor. Back to the body shop. He let me off the hook for $80.00 and a tongue lashing.

YB

That sucks! I backed into a wall in a parking garage a while back and have a fender on order. Would have been more expensive to get it repaired/painted over here in the UK. I will have to make sure to strap it to my hands as I am installing it so I dont drop it!

·
Banned
17,238 Posts
paint

touch up paint used to come in a bottle like fingernail polish. Now, for $17.50, you get an aerosol paint plus lacquer, I believe.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I went to the local Hobby shop (Models / RC cars) and bought a little bottle of gloss black paint (Testor's) a little bottle of thinner and 3 fine tipped brushes.

Cost less than 10 bucks and works great for the chips and scratches I get on each of my bikes.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Wow, I got off cheaper, $12.50! for the black and the clear! The finger nail polish stuff. Haven't used it yet, my bike is black so I just keep a sharpie handy :D

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I had several chips on my '02 Road King front fender. I inquired at the dealer how much to repaint. They offered to swap my fender with a new one from the MOCO for $128 Plus 1/2 hour labor. I jumped at the chance. Got a brand new color matched fender in about a week. They used my original chrome parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts