·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to choose between VH Big Shot Duals

http://www.vanceandhines.com/a103_bigshotsdual_drs.html

and Pro-pipe HS

http://www.vanceandhines.com/a104_propipehs_drs.html

I have a 06 RK with stock motor and am thinking of an exhaust change, a Stage one and a SERT. I like the looks of the Big Shot Duals much better but I am told by people here and at the dealer that the HS 2 into 1 will make better torque and power. I assume the 2 into 1 is better but my big question is how much better? 2-3 HP which I doubt you could feel or 10 HP which you could feel.

My Dealer Space Coast Harley recommends a 2 into 1 OR a SE slip on kit with the Stage one and the SERT. He discouraged me from ordering the BUB True Duals.

I do notice many of the exhaust manufacturers CLAIM their true duals make better power than a stock crossover system, but my dealer says that is BS and claimed that if I put the BUB True Duals on they would look great and sound great but I would loose HP and torque over the stock set up even with a stage one and a SERT tune.

So any one here ever try the VH HS big shots? Better or less power compared to stock?

I assume the Pro Pipe 2 into 1 is the best but how much better?

Thanks?

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dyno results.

I'm assuming with the many knowledgeable members here someone has to have tried various combinations and seen dyno results not just my buddy's next door neighbor stories.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
V&H bigshots

I have the V&H big shots on my EG standard and love the looks and sounds. When I first installed them, got some deccleration pop, but then had that with the SE slips on also. Installed the V&H fuel pak and now the thing sounds just as good, no pop. I really like the snap which the system now shows. About did a wheelie from first to second, yesterday on a short ride through the back roads. I am perfectly satisfied with stage 1, V&H big shots and the Fuel Pak. Of course this IMHO.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
What your dealer is telling you is absolutly true. The stock headers with good slip ons will outperform many of the more expensive pipes, especially on a Stage 1 bike. While there are slightly more gains to be had with a good 2-1 it really isn't worth going to them unless you are planning more mods in the future. If you are looking to eventually upgrade, the SERT and 2-1 is a good start for now.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
2:1 supertrapp. Here is why I went with it. I called Doug at Head-Quarters (they sell heads and complete performance packages) I asked what he recommended for initial hop ups and he said that before he would do anything he would add a Supertrapp 2:1. He does not sell exhausts systems he sells cams, heads etc he has a extremely good reputation in the business. there may be more peak power producing exhausts out there but the Supertrapp gives a nice torque curve from the get go. most high performance systems seem to have a tq dip in the rpm range most of us ride in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
roofeditor said:
VH claims a 10HP increase with the 2 into 1? sounds like a lot for just an exhaust?

I had some engine mods done. I had V & H true dual headers with SE slashcut performance mufflers . Then switched to D&D fatcats. (2 into 1) My hp went from 82 to 102.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
slime said:
I had some engine mods done. I had V & H true dual headers with SE slashcut performance mufflers . Then switched to D&D fatcats. (2 into 1) My hp went from 82 to 102.
What engine mods? I'm assuming your not saying the exhaust alone resulted in a 20hp gain.

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SFTL-1 said:
What engine mods? I'm assuming your not saying the exhaust alone resulted in a 20hp gain.

That would be quite an increase for pipes alone? Not calling you out in any manner but there must be a little more to that increase.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Boys and girls, while I increased my torque a little bit with a muffler change on my 95"/37G/SE Perf Heads build with V&H Dresser Duals (changed from V&H Basic Slip-ons to Samson Rolled Thunder), I lost 9 HP. Just from a muffler change, not even changing headers.
I bet when Slime replys it'll be the pipes alone got him 20.
Much as I hate to, I'll probably end up w/ a Pro Pipe HS on mine if my dealer ever gets one in for one of their demo bikes that we can try on mine to see how much of an increase it'll get me before I have to lay out the cash...

·
Registered
83 Posts
SFTL-1 said:

The main stuff that was done:
95"
HTCC SE heads cnc
Htcc pistons
10.5:1 comp.
SE intake
Mikuni 45 carb
SE race ign.
S&S 585 cams
open style air cleaner

The guy that did the work thought the stock carb with a thunder slider kit would work ok with the build. I had my bike at a Harley open house here in Milwaukee and they had a dyno deal at $10 a run. I went on it and was at 77 hp. The dyno operator said the exhaust was the biggest problem(restrictive mufflers) After that I went with the Mikuni 45 carb and went up to 82 hp. Chad at VODOO cycle ( Saukville WI) said a good 2 into 1 would make a big difference. I went with a D&D Fatcat because of what I read on chat sites and the look. Right after the install we put the bike back on the dyno and got it up to 102hp. There were no other up grades put on at that time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts