V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dagome Hallcraft wheel FAILED again!!!! Separated about 20 spokes from the hub.

This is the second time it has happened to me. First time was about 6 mos ago.

Now the replaced wheel has failed as well. I just don't know what to do now.

I'm thinking about putting a solid fat boy wheel...

Heres the rest of the story for everyone that missed it:

Radial Spoked rear wheel failed in April. Hallcraft overnighted a cross laced wheel that was in stock. Granted it did not match the front wheel, it would allow me to get back on the road since I was out of town.

Remember I also had the matching Radial Rotors, (front and rear), and the matching Radial laced pully.

Since Hallcraft did not have the Radial laced rear wheel, they recommended I switch to the cross laced pearl, which they sent me. It was supposed to be stronger.

We agreed for them to switch out my front radial laced wheel, front rotors, rear rotor, and pulley to match the new cross laced rear wheel.

Well, long story short. They have been backordered since April on the front rotors so I have been "standing by" waiting for the front rotors to come from their new manufacturer which would finish off the deal. We have had solid communication since April and they have been letting me know the status. It seems that they have had some manufacturing issues so they switched manufacturers and my rotors were supposed to be here within the next week or so.

Now this wheel failure happens today. I don't think I want to put
their wheels on my bike anymore since I haven't even had either rear wheel for a solid year. $1000 piece of crap X 2. WTF.

Any suggestions? Feel free to chime in

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
DP see if you can get the latest issue of MCN. They have an article on the radial laced wheels and call them a major safety issue.
Get rid of the things, they are a design aberration and intended for show bikes only, not bikes that are ridden.

The guy that wrote the article is [email protected]

·
Registered
543 Posts
Damn, that sucks. I'm surprised to hear that about spoke wheels. The ones I always wonder about, are all these fancy looking aluminum wheels that look like they have about an inch of metal connected to the hub.

I always look at them and think " Is that something I'd want to run 75 mph on " ? They sure do look good sittin still though.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Damn !!!!!!!!!
I think if it were me I'd dump the wheels. I know they are working with you. You feel a certain loyalty to the company because of this. And I can appreciate the $$$ you put into the matching components, BUT does it add up to the cost of yer ass if you went down at highway speed during rush hour?

That sucks.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'd say cut your losses now dp, I know it's a lot, but what if spokes start flying at 80mph?
Maybe they might give you half back? They don't have a very good track record at this point, I don't think I could trust the product. Anything that takes six months to produce, well, red flag! red flag!
Even though they are solid with the verbal communication, you can't ride on communication, bottom line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts