V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good shop for re-painting the engine cylinders black?

Mine are off my bike and I can send them out. I just want to end up with a stock looking black set of jugs with the polished silver edge on the fins. It would be good if I can find a shop on the east coast, but I haven't found a good painter in northern VA. Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,624 Posts
They aren't painted. They are powdercoated. IMO, you'd be better off getting a set of take-offs and using them.

BTW, why do your jugs need painted?
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xxxflhrci said:
They aren't painted. They are powdercoated. IMO, you'd be better off getting a set of take-offs and using them.

BTW, why do your jugs need painted?
I guess I used "paint" generically. It's primarily because of the powder coating that I'm looking to have it done by a shop. Why? Call it cosmetic over-detailing. I want the bike to look as close to stock as possible with my 98 build. The 98 jugs have a vertical webbing through the four sides of the heat fins. I figured I would machine that back slightly and then have the jugs coated to blacken out the silver ridges up the sides. The end result should make them look stock at first glance.
 

·
I'm Paid Up...
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
I redid the inner prinary on my RK with semi gloss paint. Get a can or 3, check the finish they give, then use the closest match. After it's dry, go over the parts you want natural finish (the fins) with a rag with gasoline. Ater that, some PIG SPIT or S100 will make it look perfect.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,287 Posts
Depending on the Jugs, I would reconsider machining them at all. Assuming since you said 98, they are nikisil coated? Do they have a life time warrenty? How will machining them effect that?

Just a thought.
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
springer- said:
Depending on the Jugs, I would reconsider machining them at all. Assuming since you said 98, they are nikisil coated? Do they have a life time warrenty? How will machining them effect that?

Just a thought.
Springer - you're right I'd kill the warranty. Guess I should be worried about that but I guess I figure they should last so I wasn't really considering it. Now the Nikisil coating, that is another consideration. Forgot about that. Is there a significant heat dissipation capacity I'd be giving up?
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ralston said:
I had millenium 98 and you could not tell the diff!!!! send them back! They should be undetectable!!!
Thanks for the info. I'll call tomorrow and see what happened with these.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
i know they are not close to you but i have heard all good from them. www.sumax.com you could always call them and see what they say, and if they can match the stock harley...by the way do you have any closeups of the new jugs, i know they were posted here before but i cant find them anywhere. They were really good closeup if i can remember....thnaks
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TXCHOP said:
i know they are not close to you but i have heard all good from them. www.sumax.com you could always call them and see what they say, and if they can match the stock harley...by the way do you have any closeups of the new jugs, i know they were posted here before but i cant find them anywhere. They were really good closeup if i can remember....thnaks
I missed an earlier pics, but here are some new ones. The stock 88 is on the left and Millenium 98 on the right. The pics are (left to right) push rod side, rear of bike, "horn" side, and top. The "front of bike" side is identical to the rear.
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess, in retrospect, on these jugs, the "horn" side looks the same as the 88. The pushrod side is pretty much hidden behind the tubes. The rear of the bike, side, is hidden, and so is the front of the rear cylinder. Maybe the one obvious line up the front of the bike isn't so bad. Supposedly it adds cooling area.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
thanks a lot man.......let us know the outcome.........good luck
by the way i like them alot i would worry too much about the differences..
 

·
Recon
Joined
·
839 Posts
That is weird...Mine were absolutly the same! This discoloration has happened before! It IS a bad batch . Send them back!! You should not be able to see a diference Those are gray!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,287 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
I guess, in retrospect, on these jugs, the "horn" side looks the same as the 88. The pushrod side is pretty much hidden behind the tubes. The rear of the bike, side, is hidden, and so is the front of the rear cylinder. Maybe the one obvious line up the front of the bike isn't so bad. Supposedly it adds cooling area.
You could paint the area behind the pushrod tubes to help hide it. Then paint the line between the fins on the front cylinder. A small paint brush and some pretested, color matched paint would be very hard to notice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,981 Posts
I have never seen a set but have read alot about em. I don't think they are supposed to be like that, I would call your supplier for sure. Those don't look good and remember, you will always notice no matter how little it shows or others notice!
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked. That's actually how they are supposed to look. The lighting may not do them justice, but the black is fine and the edges are smooth and shiny. I just wasn't expecting the vertical silver web. It's only on three sides though and they won't be very visible when it is bolted together with the fins angled down. I'm planning to do a little touch up with flat black paint, and by the time I S100 it, it'll look stock at first glance.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
as long as you are not going for a sleeper build, then i think that they look bas ass.....let us know how the build turns out......
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top