V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OEM Cross Country dealer take off mufflers that way I could ride while I did this project.

Bassani Road Rage quiet baffles.

3 5/8" hole saw to take out the end of the muffler. I bought a Harbor Freight high torque drill to do the job because I knew it would cook it and by the second muffler is was about dead.
I used all thread and two sockets that just fit in the end of the muffler as a guide for the saw.

Securely strapped the muffler down

Cut the end off.

Hole sawed the end of the muffler, it was fairly quick but takes some strength to do that's a big hole saw.

Factory baffle just slides out.

I cut the top support off the factory baffles and opened the inside to fit over the Bassani baffle then welded them in place.

I had wanted to wrap them in stainless steel wool and cover them with fiberglass mat but there wasn't room so I went with a LOT of the wool and no fiberglass. It may not look like it but that's about 10 feet of wool 4" wide 1/4" thick. Good part is you wrap it really tight and use masking tape to compress it way down and when you run the bike the tape burns off and the wool expands and fills the muffler body.

The Bassani flange side when ground down was a perfect fit into the step created by the hole saw. I then welded them in place.

When you look from the front side of the muffler the Bassani baffle butts up against the collector inside of the OEM muffler body. It's an absolutely perfect transition from the OEM to the Bassani. I swear it's like they were designed to do what I did them them.

Both rolls started as 18' for 4" wide by 1/4 stainless steel wool. They are one long strand and with the stainless steel screen this packing will outlast the bike and never burn out unlike fiberglass.
I had very little waste.

I'm going to mount them tomorrow because today I'm tired of working on these in 100+ temps and they are also drying after I sprayed the ends to prevent rust.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,821 Posts
Nice write-up Vin. Kinda looks like you knew what you were doing.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
Video with sound... Hereby demanded!

Nice work.....

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice job and description. Pretty cool your idea with the wool and how that all works out.
Thanks

Excellent work and write up.Thanks for posting it.

Make sure to remove and save the hole saw before you get rid of the drill.:D
Haha I think the hole saw cost more than the drill, the beauty of Harbor Freight you know the project will destroy the tool so you go there. Being a 3 5/8" I had to run it slow and that just grinds on a drill.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Great thread!

I assume the original baffles were too restrictive?

Nice job, hope you love it.

rkc

·
Registered
272 Posts
I drill/cut holes in Stainless Steel. When I was learning how to use a hole saw, I kept a spray bottle of water handy. I kept the hole saw/pilot drill wet and they lasted a lot longer. And I noted you bought a Milwaukie hole saw, the best hole saw I have found. Lennox is crap, & they cost the same as Milwaukie.

Why did you use steel wool? Does it make the mufflers quieter? Why not stainless steel?

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great thread!

I assume the original baffles were too restrictive?

Nice job, hope you love it.

rkc
Origional is always EPA restrictive. I hope I like it also!!

I drill/cut holes in Stainless Steel. When I was learning how to use a hole saw, I kept a spray bottle of water handy. I kept the hole saw/pilot drill wet and they lasted a lot longer. And I noted you bought a Milwaukie hole saw, the best hole saw I have found. Lennox is crap, & they cost the same as Milwaukie.

Why did you use steel wool? Does it make the mufflers quieter? Why not stainless steel?
I didn't use steel wool I used stainless steel wool. I wrapped the baffles in stainless steel screen followed by the course stainless steel wool. It does quiet them down. The OEM muffler bodies are lined in fiberglass with a perforated screen over it.

I used WD-40 on the pilot and the Milwaukee hole saw is still in great shape.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what's the ecm situation after you open up the exhaust? Does it need some sort of tuner or remap. or is it good to go as is?
I have a Lloydz VFCIII (Victory Fuel Controller) on it now along with his Hi-Flow filter. He has specific settings to use and tomorrow my timing wheel will show up then it's off to the Dyno guy that tuned my Vegas to check out the air/fuel ratio.

People that say there's no aftermarket for Victory is full of sh!t.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a sound clip. Low rumble and actually pretty quiet exactly like I was looking for but barks when you get on it.

One thing about compressing the stainless steel wool with masking tape is it stinks like crazy burning off but that's exactly why it works so well it burns away quick.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
Nice....

Question the high pitch singing that changes with rpm...... That the stator interfering with the microphone of the camera or does the bike make that noise? If so is that the air cleaner system? If so let's get on a aftermarket intake...!! Love the exhaust but that singing has to be looked at!

Nice work good tone.

·
Registered
15,883 Posts
So what's the ecm situation after you open up the exhaust? Does it need some sort of tuner or remap. or is it good to go as is?
He was supposed to mount them today. Wonder what the hold up would be. Doesn't he realize we're important?

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice....

Question the high pitch singing that changes with rpm...... That the stator interfering with the microphone of the camera or does the bike make that noise? If so is that the air cleaner system? If so let's get on a aftermarket intake...!! Love the exhaust but that singing has to be looked at!

Nice work good tone.
Probably the gear drive primary being revved in neutral. If it was in gear or at least the clutch being pulled in it wouldn't do that. Heck it might me the motor taking air this is why these sound bites aren't worth a crap they rarely represent how it really sounds.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
Probably the gear drive primary being revved in neutral. If it was in gear or at least the clutch being pulled in it wouldn't do that. Heck it might me the motor taking air this is why these sound bites aren't worth a crap they rarely represent how it really sounds.

No the sound bite gives a decent idea of the tone... Just wondered if you hear that whistle or whine while revving.

Meant nothing by it... Just wondered.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts