V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went out for a ride and I found the Speedometer way off on my FHLCUI. It was higher by 15 mph! Can anyone tell me how to RECALIBRATE the speedometer? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
No way to do that. The digital speedo goes thru a very short start up sequence. If you crank the bike before this sequence is done, sometimes it will make the speedo register incorrectly. Next time you turn on the ignition, watch the speedo needle, it will make a little jerk, once this is done crank the bike. If it reads wrong going down the road, pull over, turn off ignition and crank it again while waiting for the needle. You can also clean the speedo sensor of debris (on top of the transmission). Sometimes the sensor will pick up small metal particles but I'm betting your trouble is just because you started it too quickly.

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
gper,
let us know how it turns out. curious.

·
Registered
458 Posts
My brother did the same thing on a new sporty, he didn't know he had to wait. Told him on my bagger I had to wait anyway cause of the EFI.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Actually, that is a misconception about waiting on EFI bikes. There is absolutely no need to wait on either EFI or carbed bikes for the red engine light to go out. Harley put out a tech memo to dealers a few years ago saying "NOT necessary". Only thing you need to wait on is the speedo to do its thing in the first second or two.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't remember where or when i read the memo. I thought it was address to police departments beause they were concerned about not being able to respond as quickly. But was left with the impression that waiting for the bike to do its self diagnostics is the intended starting procedure.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If it is a Delphi bike you could have some unusual symphtoms if you start it before the engine lite goes out. No big deal as they clear up next time you start the bike properly, but it's there.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
The Yahoo TC88 forum has the memo in their files forum. The memo came about because of the concerns Police had about waiting for the engine light to go out but it wasn't addressed specifically to Police bikes. I guess they assume the bike is already warmed up.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Hippo - more info please

Hippo: Educate me please. I know bunch of guys with Delphi bikes that don't wait for the engine light to go out (cold or hot)., including a few cops. Never heard any of them say anything about unusual symptoms.

Exactly what kind of unusual stuff are you talking about? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It has been a while since it happened, they had a bad habit of moving my bike at the shop but it is no longer an issue.

The one thing I remember for sure is that it idled with a different tone and a bit slower and the other is that the normal tendency they have to miss a beat under very quick on-off-on throttle transitions was somewhat magnified. No big deal by any means and like I said all you have to do is restart the bike in the proper sequence and it corrects itself.
It doesn't surprise me many might not notice it as it is very subtle, but at the time I was convinced it was there.
Guess I could try and provoke it to see if it still does it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It is also the rarest animal in Harleydom, a totally stock bike. This might make a difference.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Thanks for the info, Hippo. I'll touch base with some of the guys I know and see what they have to say. Might even try to duplicate what you are talking about if I can borrow someone's bike. One of the guys I know also has a totally stock 02 FLHTCI. I've also got a very good friend that has a bike like mine (99 FLHT carbed) with about 50K on it. It's also totally stock. You ain't alone.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
See what you come up with, maybe I'm just too particular, but my nature is to look for drivability flaws when first getting acquainted with a bike. I don't like surprises and it's always good to know what you may have to drive around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts