V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New outer bearing support looks interesting... anyone know anything about it?

Got my new Hot Bike today and there is an article in it about a product called a "GP Designs" Main shaft outer bearing support. It is a big ass arm with a bearing on the end of it that attaches inside the primary and basically adds a third bearing to to the outer shaft.

Anybody think it might be a good fix for the bearing issues on the '03 and up TC88s????

·
Banned
128 Posts
rpbrock said:
Got my new Hot Bike today and there is an article in it about a product called a "GP Designs" Main shaft outer bearing support. It is a big ass arm with a bearing on the end of it that attaches inside the primary and basically adds a third bearing to to the outer shaft.

Anybody think it might be a good fix for the bearing issues on the '03 and up TC88s????
Can you repost the images using the
tags. www.photobucket.com hosts pictures for free.

thanks!

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Very good Idea....should take care of the roller bearing load on the 03 and up with good results.
This is the same principal we use on drag bikes trany sprockets to relieve the mainshaft and main drive gear loads. Again very impressive.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Doc, hope you've been feeling okay and taking care of yourself.

Anyway the price is a little steep at $399 but still cheaper than splitting the cases. I think it's pretty neat setup.... I talked to the guy on the phone for a few minutes and he said they have been running them with great success for about 8 months. he also said he's been getting a lot of calls from HD dealerships... hmmmmmm??? You don't think they think there is a problem with the current design do you?:whatever:

just wondering if I'm at the right HP/TQ levels to justify the expense????

Anyway...

here's the URLs if anyone's interested. Didn't find much on the sites except the price:

www.gpdesigns.net
www.rccycle.com

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MechaGodzilla said:
They dont show an installed picture do they?
They do, but I didn't scan it. It attaches to the two bolts (to the right of the comp sprocket) that hold the inner primary case on....

·
Banned
128 Posts
rpbrock said:
They do, but I didn't scan it. It attaches to the two bolts (to the right of the comp sprocket) that hold the inner primary case on....
Oh, could you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese post it?!?!! Pretty,pretty,pretty please? I need to know if it will be compatible with my locking EMC compensating sprocket. http://www.emcv2.com/accserv/acc-comploc/comploc.htm

Highly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
128 Posts
Damn that sucks, I dont think you can use it in conjunction with EMC's locking nut compensator sprocket. One or the other only.

One thing I would like to know, does that setup really help the bearing load. The way it mounts to the inside of the primary and bridges over to the crankshaft. It would look like it would be prone possibly to flexing? Does the roller bearing the crank rides on fail due to side to side movement of the crank? Or from the crank axle wanting to move off axis?

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Devils advocate
The timkin bearing design offered axial support. The caged roller is much weaker in this regard. When they fail it is not due to radial deficiency but the side thrust on the cage causes the cage to break and the crank to hit the cases and wreak havok. This added bearing it appears to my eyes would not address the support issue needed by the loss of the timkin. Nice try but I will pass.

·
Banned
128 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
Devils advocate
The timkin bearing design offered axial support. The caged roller is much weaker in this regard. When they fail it is not due to radial deficiency but the side thrust on the cage causes the cage to break and the crank to hit the cases and wreak havok. This added bearing it appears to my eyes would not address the support issue needed by the loss of the timkin. Nice try but I will pass.
I just picked up the latest copy of Hotbikes and looked over the design of the unit. I actually think that axial support is offered. The new outer bearing that the unit offers is sandwiched between the motor compensating sprocket and the aluminum supporting arm of the GP unit. Then is torqued in place by the stock compensating locking nut, so besides having an extra bearing on the end of the crank that will probably add extra radial support, it should also add axial support since the crank will not be able to shimmy side to side anymore. The only issue I have is that now the compensater nut can come loose again over time which is also another issue the TC is known to have.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MechaGodzilla said:
I just picked up the latest copy of Hotbikes and looked over the design of the unit. I actually think that axial support is offered. The new outer bearing that the unit offers is sandwiched between the motor compensating sprocket and the aluminum supporting arm of the GP unit. Then is torqued in place by the stock compensating locking nut, so besides having an extra bearing on the end of the crank that will probably add extra radial support, it should also add axial support since the crank will not be able to shimmy side to side anymore. The only issue I have is that now the compensater nut can come loose again over time which is also another issue the TC is known to have.
Now that you've seen it, do still think the EMC lock comp nut is a no-go?

·
Banned
128 Posts
rpbrock said:
Now that you've seen it, do still think the EMC lock comp nut is a no-go?
Yeah, its definetly a no-go using them both. The EMC comp locking nut needs the outer housing to bolt onto and lock the comp nut down. You remove and replace that piece with the GP outer support altogether.

Here is an up close pic of the EMC locking nut assembly on my bike.

Personally I think the locking comp nut assembly is more important. Ill just ship my case off to STD and have them do the Timken conversion for $200. Which is still considerably cheaper than the GP assembly and already proven. I'm one of those types that has to have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hello Guys, I think it is a great idea too! .........just a pity for Vienna Hog as it may just have saved his engine if he had one fitted...............only a guess at this time but it looks as though it will cure the compensating nut issue as well.

I will definiteley go with this too.......so many thanks rpbrock for putting this up for all to see...............as I have been real concerned about the drive side bearing ever since Vienna Hogs failure on his bike.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Ozzie In Arabia said:
Hello Guys, I think it is a great idea too! .........just a pity for Vienna Hog as it may just have saved his engine if he had one fitted...............only a guess at this time but it looks as though it will cure the compensating nut issue as well.

I will definiteley go with this too.......so many thanks rpbrock for putting this up for all to see...............as I have been real concerned about the drive side bearing ever since Vienna Hogs failure on his bike.

All the best, Ozzie
I agree with Ozzie, it looks like the comp has no where to go and the enplay in the flywheels won't be an issue.
Oh by the way Ozzie......Thank you so VERY much, Elizabeth will be getting back to you after ThanksGiving. You have Blessed us my friend.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
hdmd88 said:
I agree with Ozzie, it looks like the comp has no where to go and the enplay in the flywheels won't be an issue.
Oh by the way Ozzie......Thank you so VERY much, Elizabeth will be getting back to you after ThanksGiving. You have Blessed us my friend.

No Sweat Bro!..............glad to have been of help my friend.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Thanks to RPBrock, MechaGodzilla, and all for this thread with the pics. Great information. :thanks:

Thorns

1 - 20 of 178 Posts