V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guy's that are familiar with the RB Racing exhaust have any experience with it being used with a Fuelpak or similar product as opposed to going with all that expensive TTS Master Tuner and Gauges and stuff RB Racing want to sell you?

I know those items will get you the most out of your exhaust and they do not recommend you go any other route. But is it reasonable to go with something like a Fuelpak and be happy with a decent amount of better performance for a lower price and easier use?

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
You most likely will not find a program on the V&H Fuelpak site, but if you call into there tech line I am sure there is one of two that will work for it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a fuel pak. It's a piece of junk. It will do exactly what it advertises though and richen the fuel mix. If that's all your after then buy one. What kind of bike have you got. I have an 08 street bob. I am buying a real tuner. If mine fits your bike I will be more than happy to sell it to you.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I have a fuel pak. It's a piece of junk. It will do exactly what it advertises though and richen the fuel mix. If that's all your after then buy one. What kind of bike have you got. I have an 08 street bob. I am buying a real tuner. If mine fits your bike I will be more than happy to sell it to you.
My wifes 10 deluxe has one too & it's lacking in many, many areas.. I've had her park it since it dies randomly when approaching a stop until I can get it properly tuned with a true tuning device.

·
5,761 Posts
Well, mine is a 2007 and has worked solid as a rock since day one.

As to is it will work, his is a 2004 and yours is a 2008 and throttle by wire.
So, no it will not work.

But if you are having an issue with it, have you asked for help wit it yet?
There is a thread in the fuel section....:whistle:

Fuelpak Talk.

·
5,761 Posts
My wifes 10 deluxe has one too & it's lacking in many, many areas.. I've had her park it since it dies randomly when approaching a stop until I can get it properly tuned with a true tuning device.
Are you using a version 13 or the new LCD?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, guy's.

However, I wasn't speaking specifically about the Fuelpak. I meant any product such as the Fuelpak. Maybe a Power Commander or a Dobeck EFI.

Clevy, I have a 2004 Fat Boy stock TC88 engine and stage 1 intake. Now, I just need to add to the torque a bit with a decent exhaust system.

JeffyTune, since you said that I could call them to see if they have some setting that will work... that's what I was thinking would be a possibility. I wonder if they have tested with an RB Racing exhaust? I doubt it.

Anyway, the main thing I am wondering is if I can get a decent tune with these fuel management boxes or is it as bad an idea as the RB Racing website is making it out to be? I don't want to have to spend all that money if I don't need to. And I don't want to have to have that O2 sensor gauge mounted on my handlebars.

·
5,761 Posts
They have there own dyno, and yes they have tested many systems, other then the ones they make.

Give them a call, they are good people there.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Any of you guy's that are familiar with the RB Racing exhaust have any experience with it being used with a Fuelpak or similar product as opposed to going with all that expensive TTS Master Tuner and Gauges and stuff RB Racing want to sell you?

I know those items will get you the most out of your exhaust and they do not recommend you go any other route. But is it reasonable to go with something like a Fuelpak and be happy with a decent amount of better performance for a lower price and easier use?
I have installed a whole bunch of V&H F Pacs everybody loved the added zipp over stock no real issues or problems...bottom line there great a no dyno is needed

I have also worked with and installed the RB RACING LSR 2-1 Pro Stock model if you want power and not a lot of noise go for the RB 2-1 Black Hole Spyder ! I was sold on there stuff when I saw how they developed there aluminum gasket that fits between the pipe & head...getting rid of the BS designed mesh crush gasket Harley uses !
:woohoo:
using V&H Tuner with these pipes is something you will have to contact V&H about....they can only recomend the right numbers to program there unit if they have tested that Exhaust with there fuelpac
If you have a big highly modified motor or if it's stock and your just swapping exhaust and need more fuel!

RB Racing is in my humble opinon the best set of pipes made [email protected]: They both LQQK great, Fit, and on one of my installs gained about 12 HP or more over supertrapp:redrolf: Junk! and a few sets of V&H pipes... More Chrome junk and a few others that were in the shop ! 2-1 systems are the best exhausts to run on a H-D style motor from stock to Pro Stock 200 HP ground shakers Lets face it guys 95% of all exhausts are bought for LQQKS only and everybody thinks that Noise equals Horsepower NOT !

RB Racing doesnt make there stuff for the " I ride about 2 weeks a year guys" or the Trailer Queens They set, break and hold LSR @ Bonniville LSR stands for Land Speed Records:clap: That is there DYNO @gree:

It takes FUEL to make HORSEPOWER......Harley Motors are nothing but Big Lean Smog Pumps that make about 65 to 70 HP Run Hot aka Lean so you need to " Feed the Beast "

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In regards to Fuelpak specifically: It looks like I should get in touch with the company to see if they have the settings for the pipe and decide from there. That will be my next step.

I will post their reply when I get it.

- Ride On -

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... I was sold on there stuff when I saw how they developed there aluminum gasket that fits between the pipe & head...getting rid of the BS designed mesh crush gasket Harley uses !

RB Racing is in my humble opinon the best set of pipes [email protected]: ... and a few sets of V&H pipes... More Chrome junk ...

RB Racing doesnt make there stuff for the " I ride about 2 weeks a year guys" or the Trailer Queens They set, break and hold LSR @ Bonniville LSR stands for Land Speed Records:clap: That is there DYNO @gree:
"

Yesir, the design and the way they test for their results is what has sold me on RB Racing too. I know I want their exhaust. My only question now is; am I going to have to buy all that extra stuff from them for my bike to run good or, since I am not racing, can get a decent tune for that exhaust with a Fuelpak or similar product? And I'm contacting them now about it.

Are you saying that you feel that V&H pipes are junk? I ask because I have also been considering their Pro Pipe Chrome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a setting for the RB Racing Pro Stock from Fuelpak (anybody need it let me know). Ordered the pipe. And the wait is on...

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Yesir, the design and the way they test for their results is what has sold me on RB Racing too. I know I want their exhaust. My only question now is; am I going to have to buy all that extra stuff from them for my bike to run good or, since I am not racing, can get a decent tune for that exhaust with a Fuelpak or similar product? And I'm contacting them now about it.

Are you saying that you feel that V&H pipes are junk? I ask because I have also been considering their Pro Pipe Chrome.
what stuff?
All you need is a GOOD tuner,and it isnt the fuel pak.
sespt, direct link ,tts or PV vision.
I would go with the pro pipe chrome.
you ever seen the quality of the RB pipe:redrolf:eek:ne of the worst chrome plating of any pipe.
with what you are running,I would venture to say the V&H Pro Pipe will work better anyway.
your thinking about spending the money for one of the most overpriced pipes on the market IMO. but you want to put one the cheapest tuners on it.:spank:
buy the pro pipe and with the money you save you can buy a GOOD tuner. one you can tune with,instead of throwing BS canned maps at it.
JMHO opinion. I pull the fuelpaks off all the time,and then tune them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, mine is a 2007 and has worked solid as a rock since day one.

As to is it will work, his is a 2004 and yours is a 2008 and throttle by wire.
So, no it will not work.

But if you are having an issue with it, have you asked for help wit it yet?
There is a thread in the fuel section....:whistle:

Fuelpak Talk.
Oh yes. 15 email. 5 phone calls. A little tweak here. A little tweak there. And in the end I get stock 88s passing me on the highway. They make real nice pipes and shoulda stuck with just doing that.
And god forbid you ask what the modes represent. It must be a national security issue.
How about I hook a real tuner up. I can adjust values and make my bike run better instead of asking a question and awaiting a response. The fuel pak is a POS. Period. It's not a tuning device it's a carb rejet that doesn't work. Money and time wasted.
And why won't they tell ya what the values mean. They would save money not having to pay a tech guy to answer questions all the time.
V&H not only dropped the ball but got penalized out of the game. I will not buy anything with that name on it again. Cobra makes nice pipes. And their tuners work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
strokerjlk, the "stuff" I was referring to is the TTS Tuner(which also involves buying a special cable to connect to a laptop that you then have to figure out a way to attach to the bike so that you can ride it while this stuff is connected) and the O2 sensor gauge.

I understand that is the best way to get the most out of your bike. But it creates additional expensive costs and it is much more time consuming. And I also do not want to mount that gauge on my bike.

And so with that being said, I feel like a device such as the Fuelpak along with the pipes will be sufficient enough in getting more torque.

I know that you and Clevy especially do not approve of the Fuelpak specifically but I have to say that I have found that particular negative opinion/experience is rare. The guy I know that works on Harley's told me that he has installed this on a lot of bikes and they work just fine and has had no complaints.

And let me just say, too, that I don't agree about the chrome either. I haven't heard anybody else say that. And from what I have seen; they look good to me.

The price for the RB Racing pipe is about $700 which from what I have seen is about the same as the quality V&H pipes. And I can't see how the Pro Pipe can out perform the Pro Stock considering the overall design.

Thanks though. Good discussion.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
If you're doing a Stage I (Pipe, air cleaner kit & tuner), as it sounds like. You should be fine.

I used the FP on an 06 Deluxe and 08 Street Glide and it worked great. Will it get you 100%, no. But it was probably 95% and ran excellent. I was looking to get more power and not sound like a glorfied Honda.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
strokerjlk, the "stuff" I was referring to is the TTS Tuner(which also involves buying a special cable to connect to a laptop that you then have to figure out a way to attach to the bike so that you can ride it while this stuff is connected) and the O2 sensor gauge.

I understand that is the best way to get the most out of your bike. But it creates additional expensive costs and it is much more time consuming. And I also do not want to mount that gauge on my bike.

And so with that being said, I feel like a device such as the Fuelpak along with the pipes will be sufficient enough in getting more torque.

I know that you and Clevy especially do not approve of the Fuelpak specifically but I have to say that I have found that particular negative opinion/experience is rare. The guy I know that works on Harley's told me that he has installed this on a lot of bikes and they work just fine and has had no complaints.

And let me just say, too, that I don't agree about the chrome either. I haven't heard anybody else say that. And from what I have seen; they look good to me.

The price for the RB Racing pipe is about $700 which from what I have seen is about the same as the quality V&H pipes. And I can't see how the Pro Pipe can out perform the Pro Stock considering the overall design.

Thanks though. Good discussion.

the gauge is for a wide band sensor to read the afr that v tune cant read. its a good idea if you want a complete tune,and all you can do is strap a laptop on your bike and read 30-80 kpa. areas.
alot of guys get a "good enough" tune out of a v tuning. and are happy. I agree it is not a great way to tune,but has a lot more adjustment than a fuel pak.
I only tell it like I see it. I have never tuned a bike with a RB pipe,that I just went WOW that pipe really made a diff. Now I have tuned the same motor with RB and swapped to another pipe and retuned and picked up hp/tq. they are a single wall pipe and the chrome does suk.they all turn colors at the collector. then if you buy there heat sheilds to cover it ,well they are a joke.
the only advantage I see with RB pipe over some of the others that out perform them is they are light. very light,wonder why?
the black ones I have tuned held up better than the chrome,but the black gets dull looking pretty quick.
a fuel pak can benefit a stage 1, if you can get a handle on how to tune it.
remember most people dont miss what they never had.
and most wont admit that something they own or use,is a POS.
When I say I take them off ,and then tune them, I am serious.
any dyno tuner will laugh and tell you ....your wasting your time and money wanting them to dyno tune a bike with a fuel pak on it.
do your own thing man that is what makes this country great.:)
but you could pick up a pro pipe for 380.00 and a tts for 375-400.00.about what your gonna spent on the RB.
you will have better luck throwing tts canned maps at it than fuel pak maps....since it seems you dont want to have it dyno tuned.:spank:....:)

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Are you using a version 13 or the new LCD?
LCD...it was on the bike when I purchased it. local vendors have quit selling/replacing under warranty as all the travelers we have locally with issues while on the road! I guess it serves it's purpose but if you've replaced cams, exhaust & a/c the only purpose it serves is as a paper weight for a true tuning device receipt!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
the gauge is for a wide band sensor to read the afr that v tune cant read. its a good idea if you want a complete tune,and all you can do is strap a laptop on your bike and read 30-80 kpa. areas.
alot of guys get a "good enough" tune out of a v tuning. and are happy. I agree it is not a great way to tune,but has a lot more adjustment than a fuel pak.
I only tell it like I see it. I have never tuned a bike with a RB pipe,that I just went WOW that pipe really made a diff. Now I have tuned the same motor with RB and swapped to another pipe and retuned and picked up hp/tq. they are a single wall pipe and the chrome does suk.they all turn colors at the collector. then if you buy there heat sheilds to cover it ,well they are a joke.
the only advantage I see with RB pipe over some of the others that out perform them is they are light. very light,wonder why?
the black ones I have tuned held up better than the chrome,but the black gets dull looking pretty quick.
a fuel pak can benefit a stage 1, if you can get a handle on how to tune it.
remember most people dont miss what they never had.
and most wont admit that something they own or use,is a POS.
When I say I take them off ,and then tune them, I am serious.
any dyno tuner will laugh and tell you ....your wasting your time and money wanting them to dyno tune a bike with a fuel pak on it.
do your own thing man that is what makes this country great.:)
but you could pick up a pro pipe for 380.00 and a tts for 375-400.00.about what your gonna spent on the RB.
you will have better luck throwing tts canned maps at it than fuel pak maps....since it seems you dont want to have it dyno tuned.:spank:....:)
Are you suggesting I don't have to buy that sensor gauge? That thing is nearly $300. That and the fact that I don't want to mount it to my handlebars are the main factor's in me not wanting to go that route.

And I don't have any problem going the TTS route. I am a computer tech that can handle the technical side of that. It just seems a bit of a hassle to deal with having a laptop connected to your bike while riding; especially for me considering I don't have saddlebags to put it in. I know it's only briefly but I would hate to have a laptop slamming on the road behind me.

And how can you get a Pro Pipe for $380? According to my research the regular BP version sells for around $600.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Are you suggesting I don't have to buy that sensor gauge? That thing is nearly $300. That and the fact that I don't want to mount it to my handlebars are the main factor's in me not wanting to go that route.

And I don't have any problem going the TTS route. I am a computer tech that can handle the technical side of that. It just seems a bit of a hassle to deal with having a laptop connected to your bike while riding; especially for me considering I don't have saddlebags to put it in. I know it's only briefly but I would hate to have a laptop slamming on the road behind me.

And how can you get a Pro Pipe for $380? According to my research the regular BP version sells for around $600.
given your background you could vey well become a "steet tuner".
I would suggest the SE pro tuner myself. you dont need a laptop straped on , or your best buddy riding bitch,holding your laptop:redrolf:
just the SEPST attached. then download the info into the laptop and do your stuff. after several runs you will begin to catch on to, how to ride to collect data and how the software works.
the AFR meter and sensors are just another tool,to help.
the reason RB recommens them with a tts is because they know that you cant v-tune all areas with that program. (only 30-80 kpa )
now since I dont use either one to tune with,I agree with them,you really need wide bands to tune with,and do it right. (tuning to AFR)
That said..... some guys get pretty good at street tuning,with these programs.(using the narrow band stock sensors to tune with). most of the good ones end up with monitors,wide bands,(broad bands) straped to there bikes ,for a period of time though.:redrolf:

the pro pipe for 380.00???? a member here Dakotaman...asked me about tuning them,I told him what I though about it on his build,and he told me later he got one for 380.00
he hasent brought the bike yet, so I dont know for sure. but I will see if I can find out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts