V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Maybe I have this wrong, but I figured the the air/fule ratio was pretty much a fixed deal unless you can get to the bottom of your carb to adjust it and on my XL it looks like you have to take off the carb to adjust it. What can you do every time you ride that this gague tell you? And thanks for putting up with my 20 questions.... I am very interested. I may order a set of 2-1 in a few days. I heard it takes a few weeks to get delivery and I would like to be ready for spring when it gets here

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
geoffreyt said:
Maybe I have this wrong, but I figured the the air/fule ratio was pretty much a fixed deal unless you can get to the bottom of your carb to adjust it and on my XL it looks like you have to take off the carb to adjust it. What can you do every time you ride that this gague tell you? And thanks for putting up with my 20 questions.... I am very interested. I may order a set of 2-1 in a few days. I heard it takes a few weeks to get delivery and I would like to be ready for spring when it gets here
I have an efi bike and the SE Race Tuner software. So I can adjust fuel to my heart's content after noting different responses my motor gives under varying riding conditions observing the RSR AFR Gauge. The AFR Gauge has 10 led's all in a row that have 4 different color bands, Green, Yellow, Orange & Red. As I recall the end Green indicates 17:1 afr and the furthest Red is 12:1. Ideal afr for power during wide open throttle is right around 13:1. During cruise, you want around 14:1. There are cold idle and hot idle adjustments and transition fuel adjustments when you move the throttle open and closed. This is particularly nice for when my bike goes on a dyno and it's AFR sniffer is put up the tail pipe. We can compare data and see what is going on from 2 points of view. A carb bike has all of these same adjustments except instead of adjusting them with software, you make mechanical adjustments internally to get the responses you want. The LSR pipe comes with at least one O2 sensor port and you can order them with two, one in each primary tube. In my case, I have one port and it's in the front cylinder primary tube about 2" from the exhaust port. I used a generic Bosch single wire O2 sensor that works well for a single wire unit. If I were you, the first thing I would do is get the pipes you want, get the proper higher flow air filter and backing plate and get it dialed in by a knowledgeable tuner.

With regard to getting your 2-1, call and talk with the folks at RB to get their recommendation for your specific bike, if you have decided this is the pipe for you. When I ordered mine last August, it took 3-1/2 weeks to be made and delivered. Get the extra small head nuts they use, order the heat shields, and use the correct Permatex slip joint goo for the installation.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
dern, Tot. Looks like yet another one is going to get a set. Dern.

So, how's the dialing in process coming? Drop the retard key and go with Andrews 44 yet? Can't say I agree with your dakota kid TB (so far) and I'm still anxiously awaiting what your numbers are and if you had to do it over--what would you admit to doing without? (Got settled in over in KS and looking to make a trip to either St Louey of Northern IL for some upgrades in 06--still playing around with performance numbers and $'s--more like procrastinating!). Happy New Year!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
kelly said:
dern, Tot. Looks like yet another one is going to get a set. Dern.

So, how's the dialing in process coming? Drop the retard key and go with Andrews 44 yet? Can't say I agree with your dakota kid TB (so far) and I'm still anxiously awaiting what your numbers are and if you had to do it over--what would you admit to doing without? (Got settled in over in KS and looking to make a trip to either St Louey of Northern IL for some upgrades in 06--still playing around with performance numbers and $'s--more like procrastinating!). Happy New Year!
Hey Kelly! HNY's to you too!

I wouldn't disregard the DK TB! We've noticed a nice response in the MAP sensor readings at idle and WOT. It's hard to differentiate what the altered rocker ratio did versus the TB but certainly it didn't adversely affect anything!

I wouldn't change any of that but here is what I think might be next.........

I was out at Otto's shop yesterday and we've been talking about what to do next. He's of the opinion that even with his partial tune at WOT, that the HP is rising so nicely to my set rev limit of 6000 rpm, that we are now probably sacrificing a bit of power in the bottom end. He's now leaning towards putting the stock cam key back in and then finishing the tune.

Right now she's making approximately 102 ft-lbs and 95hp partially tuned and we have room to move yet, according to him. We have got to get on a dyno that works correctly and has an eddy current brake. Otto is considering buying a dyno as he really could use one in his business.

In the meantime, I'm looking at new wheels & tires, dual disc conversion up front and a Baker DD6 before springtime. ;) If I get all of that completed, I think I'm done! for now anyway.

Glad you are settled, if you get up this way, let me know.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.