V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,794 Posts
Threads on RBR pop up every now and then. The general take on the product is positive. The general take on the company is a little more mixed, but generally positive. Some poeple don't like RBRs attitude.
Since the White Bros E-pipe is no more, The LSR Blackhole will probably be my next pipe.

Joe

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
geoffreyt said:
Does any one run one of the LSR 2-1 Pro Stock ? What do you think of it? :unsure:
Are you thinking of putting these on a race bike? They are designed for high rpm performance.

I use the baffled version so I don't lose the low end torque for street riding. The baffled version is plenty loud, by the way. The internal baffle on mine is about 7" long with a 2" - 2.25" diameter straight through core. Not much baffling going on there but just enough for a street bike.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Totenkopf said:
Are you thinking of putting these on a race bike? They are designed for high rpm performance.

I use the baffled version so I don't lose the low end torque for street riding. The baffled version is plenty loud, by the way. The internal baffle on mine is about 7" long with a 2" - 2.25" diameter straight through core. Not much baffling going on there but just enough for a street bike.
No. Im thinking of putting it on a stock 883. I was thinking it might be louder than Im wanting or expecting, with no baffles. I'll rethink the baffled version. I like the short, business look but I can learn to like the longer baffled version in light of its performance qualities. Then I will get to the rest of stage one and put on an O2 sensor and gague. What a real nice feature that is.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if the 2-1 style is much louder than the black hole? The Pro Stock REAL LOUD one.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I was wondering if the 2-1 style is much louder than the black hole? The Pro Stock REAL LOUD one.
The Black Hole was designed to be quiet and not lose too much performance.

The standard LSR 2-1 is the right pipe for the street.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,794 Posts
Totenkopf said:
The Black Hole was designed to be quiet and not lose too much performance.

The standard LSR 2-1 is the right pipe for the street.
I had thought that the point of the BH was to keep power up and keep noise down. Are you saying that the Black Hole costs power vs the LSR? If so, do you know how bad the loss is?

Joe

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have read their website, front to back. There is a lot to absorb. I have to agree with his statement. The black hole is the most quiet because it has baffles. They are designed well, with performance in mind and baffles have an inside diameter of 2" which is the same diameter as the head pipe. Its all magic to me. The 2-1 is not baffled but is longer than the Pro Stock which has a very short merge collector and thus makes more loud.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I have read their website, front to back. There is a lot to absorb. I have to agree with his statement. The black hole is the most quiet because it has baffles. They are designed well, with performance in mind and baffles have an inside diameter of 2" which is the same diameter as the head pipe. Its all magic to me. The 2-1 is not baffled but is longer than the Pro Stock which has a very short merge collector and thus makes more loud.

The LSR 2-1 has baffles

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
arjonaut said:
I had thought that the point of the BH was to keep power up and keep noise down. Are you saying that the Black Hole costs power vs the LSR? If so, do you know how bad the loss is?

Joe
Maybe I should have stated it differently. I suspect that in a A/B comparison of a LSR vs. BH with the motor tuned properly to each, that the LSR will still provide better numbers. Maybe not by much but better nonetheless. Am I saying to stay away from the BH? No, I am not. If you want a quieter pipe that works well, I think this is the right answer but Geoffrey was wanting a loud pipe(the LSR Pro Stock), so the BH is not the right answer for him, it is the LSR 2-1.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
deuce04 said:
The LSR 2-1 has baffles
It has a baffle. I described it earlier in the thread. About 7" long and somewhere between 2" & 2.25" diameter straight through core. It has perimeter louvers that look like tabs of metal sticking up from using an old style pointed can opener but somewhat more rounded. The tabs are towards the tail end of the pipe. See the thumbnail picture below.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Totenkopf, how is it that you come to know this line of pipes so well and even have very nice pictures of the inside?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
geoffreyt said:
Totenkopf, how is it that you come to know this line of pipes so well and even have very nice pictures of the inside?
I'm using the LSR on my bike (it's listed in my signature list of modifications below). I've spoken with Bob, the owner/designer at RB Racing several times and I have pretty much gone through most of their website and sort of understand their product offerings.

Besides sounding great, I think they look great too!

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was initally attracted to the product because they are the only maker I have found that wants to talk about their product. The popular, main stream makers dont even want to give you good pictures much less talk about their goods. If Im gonna throw down 6 or 8 hundred bucks on something I have not even laid my hands on, I at least want to know something about it. I saw you were running the LSR 2-1. You have the rubber mounted motor? Does the difference in weight between the factory system and the 2-1 have any effect on vibration on your bike? Also, if I may continue to bend your ear, does the 2-1 hang lower than the frame under the motor? My lift needs to hang over the sides of the frame beneath the engine and Im concerned it may conflict with the pipes. Is the clearance for your feet well designed and do you need heat shields on the 2-1?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I was initally attracted to the product because they are the only maker I have found that wants to talk about their product. The popular, main stream makers dont even want to give you good pictures much less talk about their goods. If Im gonna throw down 6 or 8 hundred bucks on something I have not even laid my hands on, I at least want to know something about it. I saw you were running the LSR 2-1. You have the rubber mounted motor? Does the difference in weight between the factory system and the 2-1 have any effect on vibration on your bike? Also, if I may continue to bend your ear, does the 2-1 hang lower than the frame under the motor? My lift needs to hang over the sides of the frame beneath the engine and Im concerned it may conflict with the pipes. Is the clearance for your feet well designed and do you need heat shields on the 2-1?
they make a good pipe. I run it on my lowrider. GET the heat shields. The weight of their system is LESS than factory. The pipe does not "hang" lower than stock nor does it stick out further.

The weak point on the pipe for dyna versions is only if you trailer your bike--the transmission mounting pipe bolt becomes stressed when you compress the rear. The bolts can handle this stress easily when riding the bike.

Foot clearance not a problem--B style. However, Engine oil dipstick is a little difficult and I would recommend you wear a glove so as not to burn yourself.

Silver ceramic is good quality. Heatshields--notice you don't see many pictures on the homesite with shields--they have some gaps on the coverage (maybe a 1/4") but hey--it's a heat shield and not billed as "eye candy."

I'm not saying run out and spend your money. I'm saying you won't be disappointed. And, if I turn you off--Good! At least there will be one less rider that won't be running what I got!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Actually, I just recently installed the heatshields on the primary tubes and they fit really well. No unsightly gaps and the coverage was just right, in my opinion.

Kelly answered all the other stuff. Simpler mounting system than stock, my motor is a B or rigid mount.

One other comment, their chrome is fabulous. I've heard one or two other comments that their ceramic coating is susceptible to scratching but that would be true with chrome too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts