V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
It was oil cavitation , I’m in Australia I’ve spoken to s&s by email and rollies here ,they rang me and told me not to ride it had to tow it after 400 km breakin they fixed the. Cavitation and an oversized timing cover , but the rattle from first ride is still there this has only 800 km on it I’m just trying to solve the problem not ragin on anyone, ive spoken to Tom Hampton s&s about this and did as he asked took to rollies! They didn’t attend the noise in fact pretended it’s not there i thought fixing the cavitation would fix the problem not so ! Tom don’t even reply to my emails now ! Guess it’s hard distance wise ! And noises Hard to describe , to me it’s like real loud pinging but not under load and yes I’m no academic ? It’s a brand new motor complete! I’m old school mechanic thought I’d give the v111 a go instead of another rebuild ? I’m sorely disappointed ! The rattle is at cruise , it comes and goes but is quite loud at 50 -60 mph non existent at idle , it doesn’t sound like lifters to me ! Seems to come from rockerbox ! Cheers to all !

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,821 Posts
It was oil cavitation , I’m in Australia I’ve spoken to s&s by email and rollies here ,they rang me and told me not to ride it had to tow it after 400 km breakin they fixed the. Cavitation and an oversized timing cover , but the rattle from first ride is still there this has only 800 km on it I’m just trying to solve the problem not ragin on anyone, ive spoken to Tom Hampton s&s about this and did as he asked took to rollies! They didn’t attend the noise in fact pretended it’s not there i thought fixing the cavitation would fix the problem not so ! Tom don’t even reply to my emails now ! Guess it’s hard distance wise ! And noises Hard to describe , to me it’s like real loud pinging but not under load and yes I’m no academic ? It’s a brand new motor complete! I’m old school mechanic thought I’d give the v111 a go instead of another rebuild ? I’m sorely disappointed ! The rattle is at cruise , it comes and goes but is quite loud at 50 -60 mph non existent at idle , it doesn’t sound like lifters to me ! Seems to come from rockerbox ! Cheers to all !
Well, I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining unless you were hearing something out of the ordinary, but I gotta wonder...

Why do you suddenly show up here with this rant? If you didn't just join here to bash S&S, then why?

Why are all of you comments about km, like break-in 400 km, now got 800 km on the engine, but you describe the sound as loudest at 50-60 mph? That just seems odd to me.

How can you tell, at 50-60 mph, exactly where the noise is coming from? Seriously. Sounds echo and distort in the wind, most folks would have a hard time at 50 mph determining if a noise came from the engine or the back tire.

What is an "oversized timing cover"? Who determined it was oversized?

Why did they just call you out of the blue to tell you about oil cavitation?

None of this makes any sense and I think it's pretty obvious what your agenda is. Do you have a question you'd like to ask or something you'd like someone here to maybe help with?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m here to find help on this problem , ie rattling engine noise , and I’m asking around to see if anyone has had this problem and can help! Why are u upSet about it , you seem to have nothing to offer !
So why so defensive and offside ?
No it makes no sense why I’m being screwed , so I’m just trying to solve it myself , I did 400km on this engine with cavitation because the breathing system failure the shop disconnected the positive side of breather and plugged no reason given , I had emailed s&s several time before instal about breather issues as I’d read about them and was told quote we’ve been useing this system for 16 yrs if there was a fault we would know ! So go figure no one is telling me as to why ? Broke 2 right angle seal picks trying to remove timing cover didn’t budge , when it was it wouldn’t even fit back in hole new one fitted with the usual play 30” all round , I certainly didn’t think I’d have these sorts if problems with s&s if I did I would have rebuilt my old 80” again had for 33 yrs never in a shop till this new motor ! So if any one can help pls ! Ps bought 2 of these my m8 the other is quiet as a mouse!

·
Registered
15,882 Posts
I did 400km on this engine with cavitation because the breathing system failure the shop disconnected the positive side of breather and plugged no reason given ,
So the shop doing the installation was at fault by incorrectly venting your engine? Why would you blame S&S for that?

I had emailed s&s several time before instal about breather issues as I’d read about them
It seems like you were armed with enough information you shouldn't have had any problems.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
So the shop doing the installation was at fault by incorrectly venting your engine? Why would you blame S&S for that?

It seems like you were armed with enough information you shouldn't have had any problems.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
well allan i was sent there by s&S tom hampton , the shop is the s&s dealer in australia ,they disconected it ! that is why!10k allan i should be riding fr 100000km! everything was done by the book plus! engine noise was from first ride and i reported it to s&s many times over 400km before the dont ride call ,i had to tow it further than id riden it ,and justto plug a vac hose !im now wondering if the cavitation has damaged the oil pump,ive let s&s know im unhappy but ive never been rude or badmouth ,seems like u get a lemon they just drop u!no reply from tom hampton since i took the bike in as he asked !plain rude as far as im concerned !

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,821 Posts
I’m here to find help on this problem , ie rattling engine noise , and I’m asking around to see if anyone has had this problem and can help! Why are u upSet about it , you seem to have nothing to offer !
So why so defensive and offside ?
No it makes no sense why I’m being screwed , so I’m just trying to solve it myself , I did 400km on this engine with cavitation because the breathing system failure the shop disconnected the positive side of breather and plugged no reason given , I had emailed s&s several time before instal about breather issues as I’d read about them and was told quote we’ve been useing this system for 16 yrs if there was a fault we would know ! So go figure no one is telling me as to why ? Broke 2 right angle seal picks trying to remove timing cover didn’t budge , when it was it wouldn’t even fit back in hole new one fitted with the usual play 30” all round , I certainly didn’t think I’d have these sorts if problems with s&s if I did I would have rebuilt my old 80” again had for 33 yrs never in a shop till this new motor ! So if any one can help pls ! Ps bought 2 of these my m8 the other is quiet as a mouse!
I'm not upset. I couldn't care less about your bike.

I have nothing to offer because I can't figure out what it is you are even looking for. How can anybody help you if nobody can figure out what you are saying?

Is the pump still cavitating?

Are you saying the breather system failed before or after the shop disconnected something?

What was happening that you took the bike to the shop to begin with?

Where were you reading about S&S breather issues? What were the issues? Why were you emailing S&S about breathers before the engine was installed?

Why were you removing the timing cover?

How does a timing cover have 30 inches of "play"?

So, to get back to the original question: You are here to determine the cause of a rattle? Is that correct? You want to know if anyone else has ever had a rattle?

Again I ask, how did you narrow down where this rattle is coming from? Did you use a stethoscope while riding? Is it a guess?

Do you think the rattle is related to the breather problem? Do you think it is related to the cavitation problem? Are you still riding the bike?

You say S&S sent you to this shop for a fix of something. Was this not the same shop that installed your new engine? Why didn't you go back to the installer with your issues?

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
so many good points from many,,,
OP is a little vague,,

from my view,,, I was an S&S dealer,,, it seems from untangling what you say,, there are 3 possible issues,, 1,, the motor had issues right out of the gate..
2 the installing dealer screwed something up on install
3) the S&S servicing dealer did not follow S&S's instructions. or the issue would have been resolved...
I only had 3-4 engine issues,,
1) was a big dog 117,, the year bigdog decided to do the engine builds in house,,, that was a fail,,, big dog was at fault,, authorized repair within 1 week..

2) a 107 that I explicitly used 1 quart of oil regularly at 300 miles,, it was out of warranty but S&S charged labor only to the client

3) had a brain fat dont remembe lol..

my point is,, S&S has incredible warranty and support
you issue is with the dealer not S&S,, unless it was as is on startup,, and could have been the dealers fault..

I'm sorry the way you explain the issue is very difficult for me to follow,, sorry

·
Registered
11 Posts
  1. I fitted the motor as I have hundreads cars and bikes over the years ever thing done by the book , oil tank , lines so on , first ride 25 km engine noise, rattling at cruise , reported to s&s no answer , then tryed to remove timing cover to check mabee VOES not working , also slight fuel over flow. couldn’t remove cover broke seal pick trying so contacted s&s got this !
  2. Looks like you may need to look at the float height in the carb. there is a lot of bouncing around during overseas
    shipments and things can move slightly. As for the cover a slight tap with a rubber mallet should dislodge it easily.
    it is possible that there is a little corrosion behind the cover from the damp salt air from the over sea shipping.
    once you remove the outer cover you will likely find you can swap the black and chrome covers back and forth
    without issue. if you find an issue with sizing of the cover please contact Rallies for any warranty concerns.

thank you ! I find that ! Unbelievable ! Then I got the call that they wanted me to check for vaccum in oil tank I checked whilst on phone , couldn’t pull dipstick from oil tank whilst running then they stated don’t ride ,400km on clock , trailer down to s&s warranty ! remove vac hose from breather plug it ! I thought that would solve it but not so, altho the bike felt better and ran much cooler in my opinion ! Rattle still there! They removed timing cover without damage and replaced one that fits they broke seal pick also before even moving it ! So hear we are , now there saying we saw some rust pits in oil tank , mmm the tank was in service before install and cleaned extremely thoroughly before install and affords a very strong magnet at feed too boot , yesterday i thought I’d check tappet oil screen found it squashed and quite deformed on one side ?it was clean ! so I’ve replaced it with my evo one and when weather cools 39c today I’ll try it out ! 900km now on clock but just really had a gut full ! And not sure what damage or effects this cavitation could have on new engine closed breather is new to me on harleys ? Thanks for the interest and empathy terry cheers merry Xmas to ya ! Wish s&s had some after all they put it together and as big as they are ! leaving me stuck trying to fix it ! Not even 1000km ! I do admit my writing skills are not great !

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think your main problem here on this site is you posted this thread in the Twin Cam room, not the Evo room. Lots of people get tunnel vision and read too fast to absorb all the words in front of their eyes. I'm a little surprised some moderator didn't move it for you. There's probably still more than a few people that think you are talking about a TC.

I'm sure you will find the problem. It sucks that you have to go through this with a shiny, new, fresh out of the box motor. I don't care who it is, it is always possible to get a Friday afternoon motor (or car, or washing machine, or anything else). It doesn't mean there is anything malicious or underhanded going on. I wish I still had enough interest to put an S&S motor in my bike. Just keep digging.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dear rootintootin thank you for the reply And kind words , I wish s&s shared your view ! I accept people have bad days make mistakes ! But when they push it under the carpet and lie and manipulate to hide the fact , I don’t under stand it ! Or like it , I did not realise it was twincam sorry ! This is a reply from the s&s dealer in Australia about my timing cover and an example of what I’m dealing with ! Quote ! rollies speed shop!
thanks for the email....
timing is preset and never gets out of adjustment ....
so no real need for that cover or screws to ever come off ....
get your 1500 k’s on her and we can go from there ....! Wish I could post photos of the tappet oil screen ! Squashed and deformed !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dear rootintootin thank you for the reply And kind words , I wish s&s shared your view ! I accept people have bad days make mistakes ! But when they push it under the carpet and lie and manipulate to hide the fact , I don’t under stand it ! Or like it , I did not realise it was twincam sorry ! This is a reply from the s&s dealer in Australia about my timing cover and an example of what I’m dealing with ! Quote ! rollies speed shop!
thanks for the email....
timing is preset and never gets out of adjustment ....
so no real need for that cover or screws to ever come off ....
get your 1500 k’s on her and we can go from there ....! Wish I could post photos of the tappet oil screen ! Squashed and deformed !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you think it might be a push rod hitting the tube??? Maybe a rocker hitting the top box cover ??
No I don’t tynker The motor is a complete crate motor carb and ignition , it’s advertised with Hl2t lifters it hasn’t got them , I adjusted the pushrods it made no difference now 1200 km on it and it’s so noisey and excessive vibration it’s getting worse I think it’s in the cylinder but S&S do not reply to any emails ? I’m realy not wanting to pull apart a $10k engine with such low km and if s&s refuse to accnowledge the situation well no access to parts any way, it’s just bullshit !

21 - 37 of 37 Posts