V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2002 ultra classic with 28K miles.
When I bought the bike, it was upgraded to Screami'n eagle 96" sylinders and heads.
The ratteling noise stop when coasting. It sounds like it is coming from the valve train, but I have changed everything including the cam plate, hydraulic tappets, lifting rods and sylinder heads. When using a stetoscope, it sounds like it is coming from the front sylinder head, but this has been changed. Have installed the brass bushings on the rocker arms and shimmed the axial slack on the rocker arms, but did not help. Have checked connection rods, pistons and piston pin, but everything seem to be in perfect shape. Have
The knocking is not deep enough to be the connecting rods, but still far from high enough pitch to be valves ticking.
The first thing that comes to my mind when listening is that it sounds like one rocker arm is making this sound caused by a clearance of 1/4 inch. That is the closest I can describe the sound.
I have changed the cam plate and oil pump with a Fauling kit and 4 new Fauling tappets. Changed all four cam bearings, but kept the 203 cams.
Got two second hand stock cylinder heads and changed them too, to rule out the valves guides and valve springs etc.
The only items not changed in the valve train is the rocker arms (rocker arm assemblies).
However, I installed the brass bushings with the bolts to stabilize the rods, and shimmed up the axial slack.

I have also checked the primary side and changed the compensator, the clutch assembly and replaced the chain tensioner to hydraulic.
The noise is still there, and I have no idea what it could be. Help....
Has anybody heard this noise before?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hard to tell from video but it sounds too me almost deep internal or even a piston(broken ring?).IMO.Need Therm or Tall Terry to chime in.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Consider the compensator as a possibility
During this time frame I added a .030 washer or cut the ends of the nuts by .030 to provide the proper clamp

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had the cylinders off to check pistons and connecting rods, and changed the compensator.
The sound appear to be strongest on the valve train side, and using a stethoscope it sounds to be strongest when listening at the middle rocker box cover bolt on the right side of the front cylinder.

As a matter of fact, you can not hear the rattelling sound when listening on the rear sylinder.

·
Super Moderator
20,456 Posts
Use a wooden dowel or broom handle to locate the noise. If you think it might be an exhaust or head gasket, use a length of hose. Shop vac hose works well.

If you are sure you hear it in the head, then pull the valve cover and have a look.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That video sounds like the same noise my wife's 2006 Ultra was making. We couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from, even with a stethoscope. The noise was traveling everywhere in the engine and primary.

I had just recently installed a 98" big bore kit so I was paranoid about an engine problem. Since the noise was everywhere, I started by opening up the primary because that's relatively easy. Low and behold, the compensator bolt had come loose and was contacting the inside of the primary cover.

Something to consider. It sounded just like your video to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
man that sounds awful

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a 3 wheeled Cushman I had when I was a kid. I think that had some timing issues. It ran OK, but didn't have any snap in the throttle. Just out of curiosity, what kind of free breathing mods have been done to the A/C?

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
I didn listen to the video, but i tbink you should do as don says... just because the comp is new, and torqued to spec, doesnt mean it has the proper compression in the spring cup... what you describe sounds like a comp noise...and since you've had the top off and replaced so many parts,,, what is the harm?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Yeah, taking the outer primary off is all of 15-20 min work

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
Either way, your going to have to go into it and find the problem. Or take it to someone who will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys. I really appreciate your input.
I know it is not easy to tell what is wrong from descriptions and a video, but you have given me something to work on.
When I get time, I will try to skim off the compensator nut by .030 and torque with the new instructions (+45 deg) to make sure the compensator is firm and tight.
If this is not solving the problem, I will start to open the rocker box cover on the front cylinder head, where I can hear the rattling with the stethoscope and start the engine to see if I can locate anything while open.
If not, I will carry on to open the cam cover and start the engine to see if anything appear and can be seen while open.
If this does not take me to the problem, I will change my bike for a Indian tuk-tuk :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rattling Noise in Engine

I know it has been a year, but just came on looking for this subject and saw you post. I have a 2000 FLHTCUI with the same noise. Broke it down this past week and haven't found anything yet. I was wonder if you found anything since your initial post.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
After listening to the video
Thoughts
Head or exhaust gasket leak
Roller rockers hitting the lid(s)
Lack of oil feed (pressure)
Cam(s) out of time and hitting piston(s)
Very hard to diagnosis over the net. If it was here it would not take long
Is it missing too?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a brand new s&s V 111 sound very similar noise comes and goes a little under load but at cruise is always there from first ride real annoying s&s don’t even reply ! First 400 km breakin got a call stating don’t ride as oilmis cavitation has due to faulty breather system fixed but mabee damage done? All I know is there is no support or real warranty ! Just gotta live with it fr now 10 k don’t waste ur money !

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
zo, your first post and you are ragging on S&S,, and you have no idea what the rattle is
.. class,,, real class
S&S covers their warranty,, I was an S&S dealer,,, possibly if you speak like you write,, they didnt understand you

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,007 Posts
zo, your first post and you are ragging on S&S,, and you have no idea what the rattle is
.. class,,, real class
S&S covers their warranty,, I was an S&S dealer,,, possibly if you speak like you write,, they didnt understand you
LOL

I wanna know who called him to tell him not to ride it, and WTF "oilmis cavitation" is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a brand new s&s V 111 sound very similar noise comes and goes a little under load but at cruise is always there from first ride real annoying s&s don’t even reply ! First 400 km breakin got a call stating don’t ride as oilmis cavitation has due to faulty breather system fixed but mabee damage done? All I know is there is no support or real warranty ! Just gotta live with it fr now 10 k don’t waste ur money !
Oil cavitation !

1 - 20 of 47 Posts