V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, my boss handed me a standard D.O.T. drug test kit, and said be at the hospital at 11:00. I don't have anything to worry about, but this **** will still ruin your day!
The only good part was I got to ride my bike to the test, and got paid for it!:D
Anyone else have to go through random testing? Do you get time off with pay until your results come back? (We don't!)

·
Registered
629 Posts
You just keep working. If something comes up, they let you know.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Flash I also have to take random D.O.T drug test. My company has to pay me when I go and take the test. After the test we return to work. We don't sit at home and wait for the results. It takes the company about a week to recieve the results. If the test comes back positive we would be fired instantly.

I have also known guys who has partied and tried all kinds of different, supposedly sure proof ways to pass the test and never have I seen anyone pass that has used drugs.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Smokey said:
I have also known guys who has partied and tried all kinds of different, supposedly sure proof ways to pass the test and never have I seen anyone pass that has used drugs.
Which is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I too am subjected to randomly make wet from time to time. Since I posess a class 'A' CDL I am considered a safety sensitive employee.

I am paid for the time spent and provided transportation since I have a company truck 24-7-356.

I've been away from the evil devil weed ever since before the testing began. Another reason to look foward to retirement but not reason enough to wish my life away.

I sometimes dream of smoldering a doob and wake up all paranoid about being tested... Whew!

·
Registered
413 Posts
There are products out there that work. I know from experience. Well, not actually experience using the products, but experience from seeing the results and talking to clients (I'm a probation officer). I don't support those things of course, but to each his own,.....unless you're on my caseload of course;)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Damn! Looking at that photo, you look just like a PO I had years ago. Small world eh? LOL

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I work for the state of GA (university system) and we get random checks form time to time. If your caught, your gone, no questions asked!!! I like having my bike and the job to pay for it, so I stay away from the dope.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We're supposed to be free from unreasonable search and seizure in this country. What's more unreasonable than searching the piss in your body for drugs with absolutely no suspicion at all . Guess we're lucky they still let us ride Harleys.
"He who gives up liberty for safety deserves neither."
-Ben Franklin

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
smoken

I get tested in my line of work. Its a good thing too. You work until such notice is given that you had a positive reading & called in to the office for an interrogation. Once that is completed then your fired unless you disclose usage prior & then your placed in rehab. Once your done rehab your tested monthly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
What Dope?

I'm supposed to get tested as well. It is supposed to be random, but somehow the randomness seems a bit consistant for some folks. I was tested when the program started in Janaury of 1995 and haven't been tested since. But I kow more than a few people who seem to get tesed several times a year.

Having said that, if I were them I would test me all the time! I mean I am one of those demon seed scooter trash type guys...and I do laugh and joke about my past taste for drugs and booze quite a bit. I am however clean and free of drugs...still love a couple of cold beers on the weekend but I'm pretty tame now. Somewhere deep down inside though, it just seems like an invasion of your privacy. I could see it if you showed up for work stoned, or smelling of booze or whatever, I believe they call that, for cause, which would be efficient and a lot less expensive. Hell, I can spot a head a mile way...since I was one myself years ago. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
903 Posts
I get random drug tested too at my job. I know what you mean about the random thing... I've been tested four times in the last four years. One time, they tested everyone in my office - Wow! what a coincidence.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
A lot of folks don't know how some of the programs work. Yes indeed they are an added expense to the Company but in many cases, if you have no certified Drug Program in place, ya ain't getting any bussiness.

For instance, when I am considering a new Supplier they must first provide a copy of;

FAA Certificate
Financial Disclosure of Company Assets
FAR 145 Certification
Certified Copy of active Drug Program

Without all of the above, conversation over.

In other words, many Companies require that in order to do bussiness with them, you must have a Drug Program in place.

Those who work in criticle areas, where the health and saftey of folks are an issue, you're damn right I don't want em lit up.

The Law protects one from "unreasonable" search and seizure. It is reasonable to have a program in place that allows a Company to conduct bussiness. It is also reasonable for the general public, who puts their lives in the hands of others, to be assured of their saftey.

The terms and conditions of employment is something that most folks agree to when being hired. If they have agreed to random drug testing, then there can be no objection based on "unreasonable" search and seizure. The Human Resourses Department of most Companies are in place not to help the employees. They are there to formulate programs whereby The Company can avoid litigation through the standards set.

I am all for the decriminalization of Pot. That does not mean that I want a mechanic that is working on an Aircraft my daughter is getting on to be lit.

Jobs should always be such as to support ones lifestyle. If a guy wants to smoke Pot all day long, he should find a job that allows for the same. If on the other hand he wants to smoke the stuff but still wants to be a brain surgeon, he must decide which is more important to him and not expect folks to think it is cool to do both.

Anything we do that has consequences on other people should be done with that in mind.

I seem to be going on a bit here so to make a long story short.

No, I am not a member of HOG. :D

·
Registered
584 Posts
I too am tested. Not by the D.O.T. but the D.O.D. I also work in the health care profession. I agree to some degree with JimmyK. I don't want someone opening my brain bucket blazed up, but there is also a decreased level of privacy. Physiologically pot is safer than alcohol. Cocaine is out of your system in three days. Pot, depending on frequency of use, one month on average to metabolize. Alcohol and Cocaine kill braincells. If you would rather come home, after a hard days work, and drink beer(s), smoke a joint, or whatever, isn't that your business? Moderation and control is the key. Would I 'burn one' before taking care of patients? Absolutely not. Do I know professional people in the medical field who partake in such green indulgence...yes. As stated above, it is the failing war on drugs that have taken the rights of others and instituted programs to keep a 'drug-free' workplace. Does it work? I don't think so. I know being in the Armed Forces, there is still drug use. Considering what we do, we don't have room for a drug problem. However, the most abused drug in the Armed Forces is alcohol. That's acceptable?!? I don't agree with that either. Just my .02.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I agree with your whole damn post! Thanks!

Anyone here who knows me knows that I am dead set against Pot being criminalized.

Money would be better spent just about ANYWHERE else.

We are so smart, why can't we invent a device not to detect if y'all have traces of THC above the proper level, come up with a device that can test for apptitude for a given task. Think about it before ya answer for a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since I'm a firefighter, I'm subject to drug testing upon 'suspicion'. Since we're unionized, we were approached years ago when drug testing became all too trendy and were asked if we'd agree to being tested 'randomly'. Since we knew this was going to be on the slate ahead of time, we got some good information from other firefighters around the state as to how they were dealing with drug testing.

We informed the city that since there hadn't been any problem in the past with drug usage, that they might wish to save some money and avoid the cost of a random testing system. Instead - we suggested that if we appeared to be compromised in any way by the judgement of our supervisors, that we would be contract driven to take a test of some sort.

'Some sort' turned out to be a very expensive blood testing series that is nearly foolproof. Initially we told the city that we weren't too keen on the idea of a piss test as there is a solid history of 'false positives'. We made mention of a particular blood test that we had heard about but weren't sure as to how expensive it might be. <g> The city signed off on the blood test - sight unseen. Shortly after accepting our offer to the blood test, we mysteriously produced the information that they required on the blood testing series and they weren't too thrilled with the pricing structure.

One for the boys and girls in blue!

Who knows what they do with my piss test from my annual physical...

Jon

·
Registered
629 Posts
fearnot69 said:
However, the most abused drug in the Armed Forces is alcohol. That's acceptable?!? I don't agree with that either. Just my .02.
It is the most abused drug in my service as well. However, it is not okay. If you are found to be an abuser, it is taken very seriously. If under 21 and caught drinking, immediate discharge. Over 21 and found abusing, you get one chance. But you also have to go through 'Drunk School'. If that doesn't work out for you, you get discharged.

People will always slip through the cracks, but the best attempt is usually made. I have already watched a lot of people get tossed for drug and alcohol use.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sorry Sidewalk if you couldn't smell it. But, I was being sarcastic. I don't think it is acceptable. Yes, many fall through the cracks, but I too have seen quite a few discharged for drugs. Yep, the military doesn't deal with abusers. J.T.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts