V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it was faster than I had expected.

We did a bunch of roll-on's in various gears all resulting in us dead even side by side from about 20 to past the 120 mark.
It was pretty much stock from what the guy said and I was impressed.

I think if I had a shift light or tach I may have edged him out as I was shifting off the limited, but, oh well.

May have to do the heads over the winter.

·
Registered
772 Posts
merc1100sc

merc11sc.

Those M109's are a very fast motorcycle (for a cruiser that is). I hear they can beat up on one of them hahahahahahahahonda VTX 1800 pretty well.

If you were able to hang dead even with an M109, its obvious that the engine in you HD is not stock. Please list your build so we have a reference. At least next time one pulls up at a light, I know weather I want to stir the pot or not.
:laugh:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roadie,

I've got an 07 Softail Custom w/ a RevPerf 107 bolt on kit. HQ HC600 cam, RP Roller Rockers, .650 lift springs, STOCK heads, STOCK t/b, Propipe, and a DTT WEGO.

I just read a couple tests on the 109 that claimed 127hp stock. That cant be right can it.

I'm guessing i've got about 100hp.

·
Registered
772 Posts
merc1100sc

merc1100sc said:
Roadie,

I've got an 07 Softail Custom w/ a RevPerf 107 bolt on kit. HQ HC600 cam, RP Roller Rockers, .650 lift springs, STOCK heads, STOCK t/b, Propipe, and a DTT WEGO.

I just read a couple tests on the 109 that claimed 127hp stock. That cant be right can it.

I'm guessing i've got about 100hp.

I wonder if the M109 is claiming its HP value at the rear wheel or at the end of the crank shaft? If they are claiming it at the end of the crank, its important to note that there is a sizable amount of loss (about 17%) of HP by the time it gets to the rear wheel. Also, lets not forget, an M109 has a less then 1:1 piston diameter to crankshaft stroke ratio. Short stroke motors tend to rev higher and make higher HP numbers and less torque values. You know, thats what *** bikes are famous for. And thats just what the M109 is, a *** bike, right? I am not bagging, but just stating facts.

Its a trade off all right! Just remember something. You ride a Harley, and he rides, well you know, one of those designed to look like a Harley bikes. His bike will never be a Harley although it wants to be. It might out run your bike but it really doesn't mean anything. Because thats all it can do. The engine in your bike was designed with a longer stroke to do work. Thats what it was intended for. Not to mention, it was also designed for sound. Don't get caught up in all of that my bike can beat up on your bike stuff. If thats what your friend cares about, thats fine. And if you want a bike that can drag race, then get a busa and smoke his M109 until the cows come home. You have a tried and true real road machine that was designed to do work.
:roflback: :gun:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roadie,

That must be a crank number. No way can it make 127 at the wheel.
I hear ya in not getting caught up in the "who's faster than who game", but, it's so much fun...... :laugh: .

O, and steve, if you're reading this, we got eric's bike back together.. that thing $hits and gets............

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SEDELUXE said:
there was some talk on the v-max forum about a modded 109 keeping up and in some cases winning agains the v-max. who knows for sure ....yea it will never be a harley but dollar for dollar the japanese bike is still ahead of the game.:spank: :spank: :spank:
let the flaming begin{salute( :harhar:
SE,

isnt the vmax a 10 second bike in stock form?

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
merc1100sc said:
Roadie,

That must be a crank number. No way can it make 127 at the wheel.
Why not? It's a water cooled, dual plugged, DOHC 4 valve per cylinder motor with relatively large displacement and honkin big 4.4 inch slugs. I don't know if it does or not, but I see no reason that it couldn't. Actually, I'd probably be more surprised if it didn't based on the engine design.

Doesn't mean I want one.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My opinion on its HP in based on the fact that I know my bike makes no where near 120hp and i was right w/ him. But, like you said, i wouldnt want one either.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sedeluxe

SEDELUXE said:
there was some talk on the v-max forum about a modded 109 keeping up and in some cases winning agains the v-max. who knows for sure ....yea it will never be a harley but dollar for dollar the japanese bike is still ahead of the game.:spank: :spank: :spank:
let the flaming begin{salute( :harhar:

@gree: but..
Ahhh hemmmm. You know as well as I do that growing up in South Jersey yeilds the same thing every spring when the winter thaws and the snow begines to melt. As a native of Burlington County, its important to note that snow melting uncovers mega amounts of dead and corroded two wheelers of foreign heritage.:nope:

Whereas, bikes of American herritage at least get the privilege of hibernating under the cover of a garage somewhere. After riding foreign machinery for nearly a quarter century, I wouldn't even think of trading in what I ride now. Case and point, you can bring on all of the bells and whistles and technology you want, but this rider belives in something that works and is kept rather simple. If you don't believe me, then take a look a the gadget laden Gold Wing. Eeewwwwww gross. :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
M109 hp & tq numbers

I have seen some dyno runs on stoc m109's 108 t0 110 hp with abouth the same torque numbers. They have the largest pistions in a stock vtwin motor,they spinup very quickly. If you want to beat him race him from a dead stop. They have a drive shaft and when you hole shot a m109 the rear of the bike raises up and the rear tire goes up in smoke. If you get a good hole shot on him you will win!

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I dont care for the looks of them, but its interesting to see how much HP you get for the dollar. And they are very fast bikes, dont bet against one unless you have lots of high$$$$$ parts on your HD.:boxin:

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
merc1100sc said:
My opinion on its HP in based on the fact that I know my bike makes no where near 120hp and i was right w/ him. But, like you said, i wouldnt want one either.
It could be that you're just a better rider in anticipating, could be the gear ratios of the transmission, could be the torque curve (rather than peak hp), who knows. Of course, it could be that Suzuki is being a bit "happy" about the specs.

My comment was just based on (being careful here) a frankly better engine design from a potential power perspective. 4 valves, dual plugs, water cooled, short stroke balanced motor (offset crankpin) can rev longer and higher and breath easier. Though there aren't as many options to "easily" work on it, the basic design is still (again just from an engineering perspective) a better platform to start with if all you're concerned with is power output.

Again, you won't see me on one, but I don't think they're a bad bike either. I'm really happy with my bikes, and am about to order an R&R motor for one of them as part of a new project.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I consider myself a really good rider. used to drag a lot of rockets in my younger years, but, from being onthe side of this guy, he was def on it, hard too. All in all, they are fast,but, i dont care for the looks. i'll keep my twinkie.

·
Registered
772 Posts
merc1100sc

merc1100sc said:
I consider myself a really good rider. used to drag a lot of rockets in my younger years, but, from being onthe side of this guy, he was def on it, hard too. All in all, they are fast,but, i dont care for the looks. i'll keep my twinkie.

So you are a good rider. You hung with a machine that makes about 8 or 10 more HP and lbs of torque then yours does. Not to mention, it is a short stroke motor as well. Give yourself a pat on the back for that one because nexttime could be a different story. I bet the M109 rider was impressed with what your HD ws doing,eh?????:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roadie said:
So you are a good rider. You hung with a machine that makes about 8 or 10 more HP and lbs of torque then yours does. Not to mention, it is a short stroke motor as well. Give yourself a pat on the back for that one because nexttime could be a different story. I bet the M109 rider was impressed with what your HD ws doing,eh?????:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Didnt get a chance to chat w/ him after as him and his buddy were heading home. We pulled up to get gas, him and his friend were getting ready to leave. We started checking his bike out. Conversation went like this:
Me: Hows it run
Him: it flies
Me: ever been beaten by a harley
Him: Nope!
My Bud: Do you want to
Him: lets run em

And off we went.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Heads

merc1100sc said:
Merc,
If those heads aren't done, I know some folks close by that can address that.
Scott

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hillsidecycle.com said:
Merc,
If those heads aren't done, I know some folks close by that can address that.
Scott
Scott,

I'll keep that in mind. We'll see what happens over the winter.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Those advertised HP and TQ numbers are the factory crank numbers. I've seen a few of the dyno sheets for those, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to run one. In fact, I've been looking for the right opportunity, it just hasn't presented itself yet.

When it does, I'll post the results.

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
897 Posts
merc1100sc said:
SE,

isnt the vmax a 10 second bike in stock form?
As a longtime V-Max owner I can attest that with only a DynoJet kit they'll run 10.83. I could definitely see a bone stock V-Max breaking into the 10s with the right rider on the right night. I would put my money on Mr. Max over the M109.

·
Registered
49 Posts
where in upstate merc?

Hey merc what part of upstate are you from?And if you don't mind what color is your bike?I ask because a few weeks back i came across two guys out riding their harleys and me on mine.Well when we hit the on ramp to the highway it was go time.Dumbass me had it in fourth and needless to say i could not catch up after that.I'm just wondering if maybe it was you.Oh yea the two harleys were one nighttrain and i'm not sure what the other one was(the one out in front).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts