V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for Triple Trees that are raked and come with the Wideglide conversion kit. I have 39mm forks and would like to keep them.

Most of the 5 degree raked TUV approved triple trees run about $600-$1,600 which is too much. Does anyone recommend a less expensive tree set up for a 1990 FXR?

Ok.....I dont want the damn thing shaking at 70 mpr! I would like to hear your ideas but I am NOT cutting my neck @gree:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Man

You might wanna research the Raked Fork Clamps (triple trees) a wee more..

Many of the websites that offer info on such things compare using them to riding a Shopping Cart at 80Mph and recommend their use only on fairly radical Neck Raked frames,, from like over 40* up to increase trail..

And I agree..
I have a set of old OEM Side-car style raked clamps..
They have the old-style FLH 2.5* - 3* de-rake for use with-out the side-car and then can be pulled out to rake 3* at the slip of a bolt for side-car use..

OK,,, sooo I had to try em Raked about 25 years ago and with-in 1 minute knew I had done something very wrong..
To be certain of what I was experiencing I went another couple miles..
Needless to say I have never attempted that experiment again..

I also bought some of the Vulcan Raked neck cups hoping to use them Backwards to un-rake a frame raked neck..
They simply did not do the job cuz the neck post/bolt kept rubbing on the inside of the stems.. Even turning down the post several thou. wasn't sufficient..

I also once bought some of the V-Twin brand of Raked Neck cups several years ago..
Unfortunately in my procrastination I didn't use them till waay over warranty time and could Not return them to V-Twin..
When I finally went to use them I saw the bearing race "floor" where the race pressed into, was Not perpendicular to the cup and the cup was outa round to boot,, the race would never fit..
And the stems woulda needed to be turned down about .050" just to press-fit into an OEM frame neck,, one of the two reasons I never use V-Twin brand parts..

Of course I kept them all to prove my findings if ever challenged..

Good luck with this one................

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Man

You might wanna research the Raked Fork Clamps (triple trees) a wee more..

Many of the websites that offer info on such things compare using them to riding a Shopping Cart at 80Mph and recommend their use only on fairly radical Neck Raked frames,, from like over 40* up to increase trail..

And I agree..
I have a set of old OEM Side-car style raked clamps..
They have the old-style FLH 2.5* - 3* de-rake for use with-out the side-car and then can be pulled out to rake 3* at the slip of a bolt for side-car use..

OK,,, sooo I had to try em Raked about 25 years ago and with-in 1 minute knew I had done something very wrong..
To be certain of what I was experiencing I went another couple miles..
Needless to say I have never attempted that experiment again..

I also bought some of the Vulcan Raked neck cups hoping to use them Backwards to un-rake a frame raked neck..
They simply did not do the job cuz the neck post/bolt kept rubbing on the inside of the stems.. Even turning down the post several thou. wasn't sufficient..

I also once bought some of the V-Twin brand of Raked Neck cups several years ago..
Unfortunately in my procrastination I didn't use them till waay over warranty time and could Not return them to V-Twin..
When I finally went to use them I saw the bearing race "floor" where the race pressed into, was Not perpendicular to the cup and the cup was outa round to boot,, the race would never fit..
And the stems woulda needed to be turned down about .050" just to press-fit into an OEM frame neck,, one of the two reasons I never use V-Twin brand parts..

Of course I kept them all to prove my findings if ever challenged..

Good luck with this one................
So you suggest installing a non-raked triple tree wideglide conversion kit to avoid the shakes at high speeds?

I have been told by other forum member that AME is the best and his ride does not shake but its $1,800 for the kit!
http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/hd_FX.htm

I only want a 3-5* raske to kick the tire out a little not an 18*

Have you heard anything good or bad from this company? I have time to research since my Taxes dont come in until 2012. At $1800 I have to wait but the research continues so I dont make a major blunder.........thoughts?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PSS............Hey, I have a local guru down here in Fort Lauderdale talking cutting my neck and raking it. I am nervous to cut up an FXR frame since they are so valuable and the best frame HD ever made. Has anyone ever chopped an FXR frame and if yes how did it go? Any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Anytime you alter the steering geometry of any bike the TRAIL has to be manually checked prior to riding it. It is a far more touchy figure than alot of us care to think. I have witnessed the fear it can create & I have also experienced the fun & ease of the ride is can bring.

It really comes down to personal preferences & perception of what is pleasing. Some ride the rocket & some ride a personal creation by which one or the other bring satisfaction to the individual owner.

If cutting & altering a frame is what you want I say go for it but I would make darn sure that the shop has a reputation of superior work. They will also need to supply the #'s so there is no guess or bygolly. I would want the figures so I know where & what I am riding.

The alternative to not doing what you really want to do is turmoil & living with wish I hada years later, something I am sure we have all experienced. The best advise I could give anyone is "Be Prepared'' & do your research prior to jumping in so you have the reassurance that the end result is what you want.

Dare

2000 FXST

·
Registered
412 Posts
Carrera

As Roll put it,, much better than me,,, changing the Geometry is not only personal but also,, my words----- dumb to do, unless you know exactly what you're gonna get..

I have No familiarity with AME so I will not comment,, I'll just say this..
No matter how well a Co. performs it's work and how perfect the results,, if the work/change should not ever have been done in the first place, it's simply a bad thing..

I believe you're one a those guys that need to experience this on your own since you are adamant about getting a raked front-end..
Some guys,, and I was always one of em,, need to get the First-hand experience with stuff before believing..
Hands-on experience--- nothing like it..

I'll guess/bet that when you're finished and feel it,, you'll swap that stock front-end back on..
There's a reason you see waaay less raked sickles now-days..

The correct manner to get a rake is via the frame neck modification..
3 - 5* isn't that bad.. I've built 40* sickles with correct trail but it still felt like I was running on a greasy road in turns..
At present, my 120" is in a 35* "neck" with alota trail, bout 7",, sooo freakin steady I have many times screwed down the throttle and hands-free at over 100..

But my other 2 frames are old-style stock 30*,, I like them best..

Here,, go here and read a wee more and don't get hung up the first photo,,,,,,, holy jeeeeeze..........................

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

Then search some more..

Have a ball

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Hey Carrera

Here is a post which is in Foo's Thread, it has the chart which was sent to me from R.B Racing. It is for my 2000 FXST, if you save it & open it so you can expand the chart you will see it is far more than just throwing together a few aftermarket parts on a frame.
I am not here to discourage you in the least I am trying to simply point out it can be done.

I would call RB Racing & get to talk to to them for your specific application. Explain to them what your doing & they will help you out with a chart that is detailed for your bike.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/h...47-3-degrees-cups-trees-both.html#post2052552

Dare

2000FXST

·
Registered
968 Posts
Just took 41mm wide-glides off my '91, and put a 39mm narrow-glide back on. My opinion only....the 39mm narrow-glide with good fork guts, fork brace, dual disc, and cast 19" wheel is a good, safe combination.....Having owned FXRs for 20 years, to me the wide-glide looks out of place, and defineatly out of league with a performance frame......
Would be very reluctant to cut your frame to change your steering geometry.....but in the end, it's your bike and you're the rider..

p.s. sold the wide-glide....wheel/tire, fender...$1000.
It's now on a trike...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Carrera

As Roll put it,, much better than me,,, changing the Geometry is not only personal but also,, my words----- dumb to do, unless you know exactly what you're gonna get..

I have No familiarity with AME so I will not comment,, I'll just say this..
No matter how well a Co. performs it's work and how perfect the results,, if the work/change should not ever have been done in the first place, it's simply a bad thing..

I believe you're one a those guys that need to experience this on your own since you are adamant about getting a raked front-end..
Some guys,, and I was always one of em,, need to get the First-hand experience with stuff before believing..
Hands-on experience--- nothing like it..

I'll guess/bet that when you're finished and feel it,, you'll swap that stock front-end back on..
There's a reason you see waaay less raked sickles now-days..

The correct manner to get a rake is via the frame neck modification..
3 - 5* isn't that bad.. I've built 40* sickles with correct trail but it still felt like I was running on a greasy road in turns..
At present, my 120" is in a 35* "neck" with alota trail, bout 7",, sooo freakin steady I have many times screwed down the throttle and hands-free at over 100..

But my other 2 frames are old-style stock 30*,, I like them best..

Here,, go here and read a wee more and don't get hung up the first photo,,,,,,, holy jeeeeeze..........................

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

Then search some more..

Have a ball
Best advice I have hears in such a short period of time. I will read the sites and call RB Racing this week. I know I have to do research and I shall. Thanks for the advice brothers and pointing me in the right direction....will keep you all updated

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have a 92 fxr and it came with an aftermarket set of triple trees and 41 mm front forks. i am going to replace the whole front end with a fat bob front end when i can find the 49mm set. or perhaps a 49mm set from a streetbob. i know from personal experience that the 49mm set is superior in dampening to the 39mm and even the 41mm. perhaps it's the amount of air that is compressed when you hit a bump. i just know that i really prefer the fatter tubes. the slim tubes seem almost spindly after having experienced the 49's. raked trees require frame neck modifications to compensate for that additional 5 degrees if you want to retain proper handling.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a raked deuce and I love it! I first started with a set of 5 degree trees from Accutronix and while it was okay it wasn;t raked enough for me so they are on the shelf. I ended up with 13dgree forks and 4 over tube from Seeger Choppers called the Chopper kit. . I wouldn't go with Seeger again as the customer service just plain sux but it is exactly like the AMES kit and thats who I would recommend. The outcome is what I personally wanted and it handles great above 5-10 mph. Sux in stop and go traffic. It really likes the highway and eats up curves. Just my .02.... Good luck.....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a raked deuce and I love it! I first started with a set of 5 degree trees from Accutronix and while it was okay it wasn;t raked enough for me so they are on the shelf. I ended up with 13dgree forks and 4 over tube from Seeger Choppers called the Chopper kit. . I wouldn't go with Seeger again as the customer service just plain sux but it is exactly like the AMES kit and thats who I would recommend. The outcome is what I personally wanted and it handles great above 5-10 mph. Sux in stop and go traffic. It really likes the highway and eats up curves. Just my .02.... Good luck.....
how does it handle at hi speeds like 70-85 MPH?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah but dont hold it responsible for the ugly guy on it!!

your the same guy selling the 41mm tubes right? Thats just the tubes not the forks right .... or both? I like the rake on the bike....is that 13* ????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts