V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone out there has a pic of a FXDL with a raked tree. I have been researching the pro's and con's of a 3 degree raked tree. Yes I have done the search's on VTF. Ive done the calculations on the trail and it is within range. Any pics or thoughts appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I looked into this while ago, and still contemplate it.

I have a 2004 Lowrider and really want that Wide Glide look...BUT, i THINK that since that year they had the same frame and rake, that wide glide is getting that look from longer tubes. So, at that point, should I thought I should just get a whole front end.

But the rear IS lowered more than the wide glide, so should THAT have much effect on all this?

What if I get a 21" wheel? I hear they have teh same diameter at teh tire, but it just doesn't look that way.

I'm not much a twisties guy...just a chillin' rider guy, so i'm willing to sacrifice some handling for some cool.

Odds are though, i'll stick with the stock tubes, put on a 0 deg rake mid glide, and stop obsessing about this...

(*and yes, I woul dhave gotten a wide glide, but i hate that rear fender....i figured at the time fixing up the front end would be easier than getting a new fender and doing the painting and all that...)

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My FXDL is lower then stock and converted to a mid glide already. I was thinking of going with the mid glide 3 degree raked tree.

Attachments

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been contemplating a smiliar thing myself. Fortunately, my better half is a graphic artist, and a whiz with Photoshop, so I got her to play with a pic and see what it would look like. As best we can manage with Photoshop, this is with about a 5 degree rake and approx 4" over......​

I hated the standard guard on the Wide Glide too.... changing it wasnt that painful :thumbsup:

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow looks great thanks for the post. Great looking bike !!!!!
Hows the handling ??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hotshot,
I have a lowered FXDL w/3 deg tree's, you will loose a little high speed stability but it's not to bad. I would not do raked tree's on a FXD or the new FXDL's. The old 32 deg FXDL frames had a little more trail to play with. If you shoot me an E-mail address I can send you some pics as I cannot post pics on this site.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah great !!! Good Info too!!!!
Did you have to use longer tubes ???
Bike looks great

·
Registered
4 Posts
RAKE -VS- Reality

That bike looks really good! The 2in1 pipes set it off perfectly. The only thing I would be concerned with when hotshotfxdl rakes his bike is the stability factor. He's got some great "go-faster" parts and by the MO on his 'interests' sounds like he's probably not done. If that's the case and you're not really ready to give up "Torque for Forks" then I would maybe hold tight. My Dyna had 93HP / 103TQ and it handled fine. Then I added some more go faster parts last Spring and went to 99HP/111TQ and my world opened up. I can't imagine pushing the speeds I do sometimes w/ a longer rake. I don't mean just straight aways but rather hitting the curves harder. In a few years this need for adreniline just may go away though. . .I doubt it! Either way, build your own ride and Ride your own Ride. Send pics when your done! Good luck to ya Bro.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts