V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 FXD and I plan to change the front end, or at least widen it. I have read the Harley uses raked trees on their Dyna's, but I also konw that using raked trees is frowned upon by many. I know that if Harley uses them, they are safe since the bikes are designed for that, but how much is safe? Does anyone know if an FXD frame can SAFELY accept 3 degrees of rake in the trees?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can tell you that after adding a three degree raked tree to my 04' Low Rider, it was unstable at low speeds. Nothing a decent rider couldn't handle but it was a bear to turn in a tight radius. The wheel had a tendency to flop right or left.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Adding three degs. trees will reduce your trail, on a FXD you don't have much trail to give up and still have a stable bike at highway speeds. I used three deg. trees on my FXDL and have noticed a little bit of increased instability at high speeds, handles great at slow speeds. I don't think I would do raked trees on a FXD. If you want to rake a FXD I would cut the neck and add rake the proper way so you don't loose your trail. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Say what you want

say what you want but no natter how you slice it, or who's kit you use the only way to safely rake a bike is by cutting and re welding the neck. Thats where the raked trees come in. (For trail correction) DO NOT USE RAKED TREES WITHOUT RAKING THE FRAME! also remember that the farther past 32 degrees you go the harder the bike handles even under ideal circumstances and engineering. Now where that dead horse!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
rickr01,

I think what this post is saying if you read it. These tripple trees keep the trail at the stock safe limit. I think it is a neat piece of engineering if you ask me. It saves you from having to modify the neck of the frame.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
floyd78 said:
rickr01,

I think what this post is saying if you read it. These tripple trees keep the trail at the stock safe limit. I think it is a neat piece of engineering if you ask me. It saves you from having to modify the neck of the frame.

floyd,

I read it and I stand by what I said. Raked trees are dangerous period. In the article you will also note the author stating that it took some getting use to and handling was stable but different. There was a product a while back, raked cups that simulated cutting and raking the neck. In theory it should have also worked the same as a cut and weld. It didn't! I have ridden with more then one over many years who have had raked trees of one configuration or another on their bikes. I can tell you how many could not keep a tight handle on the ride in formation, lost control and went down during an emergency manuever etc. If you are happy riding solo on long straight roads going no faster then 50 enjoy your raked trees. It's my humble opinion and I respect yours as well. Please keep in mind that even some original Harley models (touring) have had problems with factory designed raked trees. Heard of the touring tank slap issue? Please be safe.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Hey no problem! I'm not running racked trees ether and know of the dangers assosiated with them. I was just reading into this and seemed like people were having sucsess with the design. Hey there is nothing better than someone with first hand experiance...Thanks for the info...

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
floyd78 said:
Hey no problem! I'm not running racked trees ether and know of the dangers assosiated with them. I was just reading into this and seemed like people were having sucsess with the design. Hey there is nothing better than someone with first hand experiance...Thanks for the info...

There have been a ton of threads on this but as you mentioned, there is nothing more convincing then real life! I care more about folks safety particularly young folks with young families, then I do about cool or popular. This forum is a great source of info and many talented folks. One has to remember however that there is also always the opinion expressed as though it was fact. I include myself when I say, I am not a triple tree development engineer. My involvement comes only from 31 years of passion! Stay safe!
Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts