V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here cut their Road King neck to weld-in additional rake (or had someone do the work for them)?

I don’t want this thread to become a debate over why this is or isn’t a good idea or how the MoCo has engineered proper geometry into the bike. Just wondering if there are any raked RK’s out there and if so, how do you like the results?

Did you have to lengthen your front end to keep the bike level? Did you do the work yourself? If not, where’d you have it done? Any pics?

TIA.

Tipsy

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
TipsyMcStagger said:
I don’t want this thread to become a debate over why this is or isn’t a good idea
Tipsy
Sorry, this is probably what you will hear. Consider this, before you end up with a morpidite bike. Theres a line between custom and something only you will like, hopefully

If you like choopers get a chopper.

I could be wrong, I have been before.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
From watching one of the many bike custom builing shows, in this case the guy knew what he was doing, not occ. he mentioned that they sell triple trees with rake built into them so that you don't have to alter the neck like they did in the old days.

here's one that they say fits your bike at denniskirk
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...oductId=pH58307&leafCatId=21404&mmyId=5000014

here's a link for raked triple trees, they recomend them for use with side cars.
http://www.libertysidecars.com/product3.htm
here's one on a road king.
http://www.libertysidecars.com/featured_sidecar.htm

here's some more.
http://www.cas4.com/rc-components/main-pages/rc-components-triple-trees.htm

I found a site that recomended only changing the frame and not to use a raked triple tree, but couldn't add the link due to it being from another forum. just search "raked triple tree harley" in google.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brownjams said:
I found a site that recomended only changing the frame and not to use a raked triple tree, but couldn't add the link due to it being from another forum. just search "raked triple tree harley" in google.

good luck and ride safe.
Thanks for the links Brownjams.

There's some nice pics of a rake-in-progress using the cutting the neck method at projectbikes.org. The guy did it himself.

On the right side of the screen, select "Motorcycles by Make" under "Categories" and then "Harley Davidson." Scroll down a bit or "CTRL F" for "raked" to see the pics.

Tipsy

·
Registered
96 Posts
brutal...sorry. you'd be better to go get a chopper, and watch reruns of occ. sell your r.k. to someone who'll appreciate it! just my opinion. good luck.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Damnit 8-Ball.....I think you just cost me some more money.....thanks for the links.....:duh?:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DRIMNER1 said:
brutal...sorry. you'd be better to go get a chopper, and watch reruns of occ. sell your r.k. to someone who'll appreciate it! just my opinion. good luck.
Ugggghhhh....I can't believe I'm even responding after I stated in my initial post that I didn't want to debate.

Yes Drimner1, you're absolutely right. Because I believe the RK's stock rake was tailored for low speed handling at the expense of high speed stability and often "wobble" (which has been discussed on these boards ad nauseam), this means that I don't "appreciate" the RK. Instead, I should buy a bike with a hard tail, an open primary, 8" of rise, 6" of stretch, chrome everything (I hate chrome), no turn signals, no bags and no practicality.

Yes, you are are correct. Because I'm interested in hearing from some folks who might have added an additional 4 degrees of rake (give or take) to an otherwise stockish RK, I don't appreciate the bike and I need to buy a "chopper" with skulls and flames.

I think I should also look into getting several tattoo's and subscribe to Jesse James' oh-so-worn-out half mentally impaired philosophy of "it's cool to break stuff" and "I'll kick your ass if you look at me the wrong way."

I'll make sure to use the phrase "old school" 15,000 times while I'm ordering my new "chopper." Perhaps I can get some good "eye dears" from Paul Sr.

Just my opinion.

Tipsy

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Tip... pretty much nailed that one.

Michael... while the raked Road King is cool... I don't think it is $3k cool. It would definitely depend on the cost.

btw... people who confine themselves into little boxes full of themselves can usually see their assholes.... or is it they're... never can get than one right.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Most of the cost will involve the front fender, wheel, and rotors right? I'm thinking of doing those changes on mine. Undecided on the rake thing. I never keep a bike forever, so I'd really worry about what a potiential buyer would think about my cutting and welding the frame.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Its got nothing to do with personal taste. I said 'good luck'. What I meant, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, is that doing that to the front end of a Road King "CLASSIC" is like putting on a 2X4 spoiler on the back of a Honda Prelude. But if you want to butcher your bike go ahead. I was trying to be polite, but you can read between these lines too.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
TipsyMcStagger said:
I think I should also look into getting several tattoo's
Tipsy
You don't have any tattoos? :yikes:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DRIMNER1 said:
...doing that to the front end of a Road King "CLASSIC" is like putting on a 2X4 spoiler on the back of a Honda Prelude....
Well, then I guess I've got nothing to worry about. I don't own a "CLASSIC."

Tipsy

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I found raked triple trees on some sidecar sites....

Specifically, Champion Sidecars and Liberty Sidecars (www.championsidecars.com and www.libertysidecars.com) respectively.

They're bolt on parts for FLH bikes, but come with warnings that they're only for sidecar use, I suspect for liablity issues.

The rake on these is 5 degrees or so, and they don't seem to mention anything about longer fork tube or changing the fender/brake mounts.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Raked trees

The first bike I built was a 1960 Panhead. I had access to some sidecar trees and they added like 15 degrees to the rake. I also stretched the swingarm 4 ". I don't know why the guy with the raked trees says they are not for a 2 wheeled bike. Mine was very comfy and I toured with it extensively in the mid 70's. Personally, I think the raked RK is very cool. This is America, we can do whatever we want with our bikes. If I was building my blacked out turbo Road King for someone else to buy, I would have just chromed it out and put some fancy paint job on it so it would .....well you know.....blend in nicely! Friday,
Content in a sea of black and a whining turbo www.dyno-power.com

·
Registered
227 Posts
I know you don't want the engineering side of this discussion, but you should consider this: Unlike most choppers, the FLH's has an offset balanced against the rake angle. This balance of offset and rake give you the compromise between low speed handling and high speed stability. I'm not saying don't do it, but for your safety you should consider that the FLH's are typically heavier than a chopper. Plus choppers tend to have an offset reversed of the FLH's, this compensates for the extreme rake angle. But they get away with this partly due to their lower weight.....

Reason why I bring this up? The roadking's mass is going to exagerate the heavy steering you'll feel with too much rake and the current offset. Might be doable, but you also might not like riding it.

One suggestion would be to look at the frontend of the Indian Chiefs. I haven't looked, but I think they have a little more rake and may not have as much offset as the Harley's? The Indian should be about closer in weight to your roadking. Maybe you could use those numbers as a starting point. At least it would be better than working off of a lighter weight chopper.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts