V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at raising a Low Rider a couple inches front and rear. Anybody ever do this? It's an '05.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody ?!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I'll take a crack.. The rear can be easily raised by changing out the shocks. I'm not sure on the length of stock low rider shocks but I'm sure standard FXD shocks are around 12.5 inches. As for the front, maybe installing standard dyna FXD springs would raise it a little? I think the Low Rider has more rake than a standard dyna also?

I recently raised my Dyna FXD by installed forks and shocks from a FXDX sport model. This raised the bike a considerable amount. It no longer drags the pegs when rounding a corner..

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a crack.. The rear can be easily raised by changing out the shocks. I'm not sure on the length of stock low rider shocks but I'm sure standard FXD shocks are around 12.5 inches. As for the front, maybe installing standard dyna FXD springs would raise it a little? I think the Low Rider has more rake than a standard dyna also?

I recently raised my Dyna FXD by installed forks and shocks from a FXDX sport model. This raised the bike a considerable amount. It no longer drags the pegs when rounding a corner..
Yeah, I figured the back would be easy. Got any info. (length) on the FXDX forks? Do you know how much this raised your bike?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Yeah, I figured the back would be easy. Got any info. (length) on the FXDX forks? Do you know how much this raised your bike?
The fxdx forks measure about 33.5" from axle center to the top of the tube. The fxd forks are about 31.5". These measurements were taken with no weight on the forks. Looks like I gained about 2".

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
a raised low rider, now there's an oxymoron, kind of like jumbo shrimp. sorry no help just a smart arse response.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a raised low rider, now there's an oxymoron, kind of like jumbo shrimp. sorry no help just a smart arse response.
I'm surprised it took this long.:) Yeah, I know, seems strange. When I bought my Low Rider it because it had the big motor, looked better than the Super Glide (chrome rockers, etc.), and was priced right. It being low slung had nothing to do with it.

A Buell front end sounds pretty promising. It would be nice to talk to someone who has done that. If I was changing out the forks, it would be nice to change the look as well. I think the Buell forks would be too short. I wonder how one would lengthen the Buell forks.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Looking at raising a Low Rider a couple inches front and rear. Anybody ever do this? It's an '05.
When you raise your bike up , you will find it LEANS OVER quite a bit more on the jiffy stand. If the lean angle is too much, then use a jiffy stand from an FXDX as it is quite a bit longer and will make the bike sit up more when on the stand.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you raise your bike up , you will find it LEANS OVER quite a bit more on the jiffy stand. If the lean angle is too much, then use a jiffy stand from an FXDX as it is quite a bit longer and will make the bike sit up more when on the stand.
Great tip! Thanks!

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Buell front end sounds pretty promising. It would be nice to talk to someone who has done that. If I was changing out the forks, it would be nice to change the look as well. I think the Buell forks would be too short. I wonder how one would lengthen the Buell forks.
Anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I raised my 08 low rider. I have 13 inch shocks on the rear and Progressive Suspension springs in the front forks. Just preload the front springs until you get the ride height you are looking for. If you need it any higher then that I would look for another bike. I also ditched the stock seat for one that is little higher and I have dragbars on 6 inch risers since Iam kinda tall and the bike has never handled better.

Inthered

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I raised my 08 low rider. I have 13 inch shocks on the rear and Progressive Suspension springs in the front forks. Just preload the front springs until you get the ride height you are looking for. If you need it any higher then that I would look for another bike. I also ditched the stock seat for one that is little higher and I have dragbars on 6 inch risers since Iam kinda tall and the bike has never handled better.

Inthered
Hey Red, how much did those mods raise your bike?

04 fxdl stock rear shocks are 12" from bolt to bolt.
Thanks Mailman.

Would really like to do a Buell front end.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you have a parts manual you can get either longer stantions(chrome tubes), longer damper rods from a different model with 39mm forks, or machine a spacer to bolt between the damper rod and the oil lock in the fork. Do you know how much you want to add to your ride height? Lift the bike with a jack, with the wheels just touching the ground. Remove the 2 lower bolts that attach the shocks and loosen the torx bolts that hold the stantions in the triple trees. raise the bike slowly. The rear wheel will stay on the ground and carefully slide the forks down the triple trees until you find the height you like. Realize the bike will settle .75-1.25 inches under its own and rider weight..

Adding tons of preload is a bad thing as you do not want the bike going down the road with the suspension topped out. The wheels will lose traction when you hit bumps.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would like to raise it a couple inches. Would like to do a Buell front end. Was hoping someone else had done this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've installed a couple of Buell front ends on Harleys. The WP forks on an S2 are the longest and Crossroads Performance in WI make triple trees for them as will other companies. You can make the Buell trees work but there is some fabrication.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread.

I needed to raise my 2003 fxdl to clear the curb into my driveway without scraping and to make it over the speed bumps in the parking lot at work.

I ordered a set of these last week and installed them this weekend:
PROGRESSIVE SUSPENSION 412 Series Shocks - FXDL [01-05]
[412 Series Shock Options:12.6" Heavy Duty (Chrome) - P/N 412-4048C]

What a difference.:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can run extended fork tubes. Forking by Frank has longer then stock tubes as do other vendors. Also I noticed some screw on extensions which screw in and then you screw the stock fork caps down on the end. I'm pretty sure you have to add some plastic tubing over the spring to make up the extra distance. Also Progressive Suspension sells a 14" 412 Shock which should raise the rear end. I don't know how much. Also as another poster mentioned raising your Dyna is going to make it lean over more on the jiffy stand. I don't know how much but if it's too much you may need to have a small spacer shoe welded to the underside of your stand.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
On my 1989 fxrs I went +3 on fork tubes, progressive rate springs with gold valve emulators. Rear 14.5" on shocks. I can corner even with a 3" open belt drive. Fixes the entire cornering problem. Go fork tubes first. Do not do 14.5" shocks without raising front forks. Your rake and trail numbers will be near the red. This can cause instability issue. If you do front first your fine. Progressive shocks work OK a tad stiff. I had them. Yes you will need to weld extension on side stand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts