V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a way that we could protect our rain suit pants from getting burned by the exhaust pipes? Is there some sort of heat protective tape that could be added, etc?

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
kevdog said:
Does anyone know of a way that we could protect our rain suit pants from getting burned by the exhaust pipes? Is there some sort of heat protective tape that could be added, etc?
I have heard of people adding the material from an ironing board cover onto area's of their pants that may come in contact with their exhaust. Not sure how they attach it though.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
kevdog said:
??? Most of the quality rain gear has this protection already built into the leg. The newer pants even have it built into both legs.

I'll agree with Dwarthog, I've heard of people attaching ironing board fabric to the inside of the legs but don't remember how they did it. I have a set of Frog wear that I just toss in my Lowrider (because it's folds up real small) that doesn't have the protection. I just have to be very careful while I'm riding.

If you're trying to affix some protection to a cheaper plastic gear I'd try contact cement....for the lack of a better idea.

o~\o

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The wife puts a piece of the gray ironing board cover on my Frogg Togg pants using some kind of iron-on adhesive stuff. Works really well. Only problem nowdays is finding one of those gray ironing board covers.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Ed Y said:
The wife puts a piece of the gray ironing board cover on my Frogg Togg pants using some kind of iron-on adhesive stuff. Works really well. Only problem nowdays is finding one of those gray ironing board covers.
LoL!!! My girlfriend called just as I finished my last reply and I ask her where to get one of those Teflon (gray) ironing board covers....she just laughed and said "who the hell uses an ironing board anymore"??? LoL!!

Once she calmed down from her little laughing session ...she also said you could use the iron adhesive stuff your talking about....but that the heat from the exhaust would take it off just about as quick as the heat from the iron put it on. ???????:huh:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Meltdown

I ride a Road King. I melted some gortex rain pants on the back of the left thigh when I was backing the bike up. My solution? Tie a large bandana around your leg at that location. Cheap, simple, and you get to answer the question, "Why do you have a bandana on your leg."

BTW, you can buy an iron-on goretex patch kit from Campmor.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do a google and then call the people at Frogg Togg. They sell a gaiter for about $6 as I recall that velcros around the leg and protects the rainpants. Looks like the ironing board stuff. Works well.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
3M spray adhesive works to glue iron board cover on Frogg Toggs. Anymore I just buy the cheapest rain suit K-Mart has to offer and throw it away when it gets burnt. Frogg Toggs are nice but they go up like gasoline.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Pilotwi said:
What rain pants other than Harley have the leg protection? Bob
I have a set of Marsee raingear that I bought a few years ago that has leg/exhaust protection. Don't know if they still make rain gear or not.

o~\o

·
Registered
33 Posts
Silicone pot holder and gasket material

You can get these silicone potholders that you can glue to your rain gear. Cut to fit with a scissors. Doesn't look like you tore up your mom's ironing board. Use the gasket maker stuff or high heat glue from the auto parts store to attach.

Some people sew leather patches on, but they aren't waterproof. Who wants wet leather stuck onto their leg? If you go this route, try getting some large scraps from one of the stores that make custom leather sofas. They often have large enough pieces that they just throw away.

·
Registered
119 Posts
lots of biker rain gear....

Lots of companies make rain gear, for biker..:wootdnc:
- Nelson-Rigg
- FirstGear
- Teknic
- Tour Master
They are just spend more money marketing to non-harley, touring riders !:nope:

go to:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/Department.aspx?Department=161&Division=1

If that link doesn't work, go to:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com
then click on "streetgear",
then click on "rainwear"

or go to:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?store=Main&catId=201&leafCatId=20101

·
Registered
119 Posts
YEAH, I didn't mean to imply that they all have heat protection.:eek:

Just that there were a lot of options.....

some good, some not the best :blink:

It's funny,
- most Harley riders aren't aware of Sportbike or Dirt rider gear
- most Sportsbike riders aren't aware of Dirt or Harley rider gear
- most Dirt riders aren't aware of Harley or Sportbike rider gear

If a company makes something really cool, for a motorcycle,
few will market beyond the specific group, that might bring them
the most money....., even if there is a chance every rider might find it cool to use !!!:dunno: Corporate America...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used iron on blue jean patches from walmart. Then had my wife put a sewing machine stitch around the perimeter of the patch. Now to water proof the patch I mixed clear silicone(bathroom sealer) with paint thinner and brushed it on the patch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Frog Toggs had a repair kit that has the heat resistant patch with glue and instructions. I used one of these on a set of Frog Toggs after I melted a hole in the leg on my pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I just burnt my frog togs to my pipe this weekend...sucks!

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Having gone through two pairs of Frog Toggs pants quickly, even with their glue on fabric. Seems like your pipes will "find" the unprotected areas and burn holes there.

That being said, I will not wear the brand new three year old Harley rain suit my son gave me. Sure would hate to burn a hole in that thin fabric.

I like the bandana idea. Kind of like blousing your pant cuffs. Check with a military surplus store and get a set of trouser blousing bands.

The only other option is to buy rain pants with built in protection.

I have a problem with that though. Even the new Frog Toggs are very thick and take up more space when in my bags. I want raingeat that's thin, and water repellent. Trust me, there's no rain gear that is water proof. Just try riding in torrential rain for 2-3 hours

1 - 20 of 20 Posts