V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really like Frogg Toggs. Very light weight, more breathable than Gore-Tex, and completely waterproof, windproof. You won't know you have them on, even in very hot weather. Check out their website, just push the name together, and add dot com.

LarJon

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
LarJon said:
I really like Frogg Toggs. Very light weight, more breathable than Gore-Tex, and completely waterproof, windproof. You won't know you have them on, even in very hot weather. Check out their website, just push the name together, and add dot com.

LarJon

They are suppose to be the BEST. Price is right, too. Do I own them? No. Lisa wanted a set of those pretty orange and black products. :D The "official" H/D stuff is OK though.

·
FLHTCUSE
526 Posts
From early Fall to late Spring We ride in FXRG Suits Purchased in Fall of '98 Yeow Pricey but they still look new and Do not leak (Leather) So far 50,000 plus miles of use.
Summer the Frogg Togg Tops are good but the pants are a Bitch, if you have large boots to fit over and you look like a big TYVEK trash bag. We found the Frog Togg Top is breathable and for pants Joe rocket (Five pocket Ballistic-pants). They come with zippered legs and snap closures for easy on and off better than chaps (Cover your Ass) in the highly unlikely you every go down or HIT by someone or some thing.
Of course this is my personal experience with these products. The FXRG is By Far the best bang for your buck buy it once and over the long haul it will pay for itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it really Gore Tex?

I've read the labels and the catalog (I know, some hack like me in an office like mine probably writes that stuff) and I cannot see where it says it is breathable. All of the HD stuff talks about sealed seems and vinyl but I have never seen the word "breathable." That would be a big deal to me.

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
I get hot real easy and I swear by my gore tex stuff, expensive but it packs small and is very waterproof. I don't wear leather anymore, just my gore tex cold or rain with warm clothes underneath if it is cold.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Raingear

I bought TourMaster 3/4 jaacket and pants three years ago. I have been in downpours that had me looking for shelter because I couldn't see through the faceshield, but I was warm and dry. Last Xmas i was going to buy H-D all weather gear for my SO until I noticed that it said "water-resistant" (or something comparable). It struck me that I was about to spend a lot of money for something that MIGHT keep her dry. I bought tourMaster just like mine and she loves it.

JMHO

Dave

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Here are some reviews of rain gear.

Rain Gear Reviews

Personally, I wear a Harley Davidson GoreTex Rain jacket (Orange with reflective logo on the back) with Nomex GoreTex pants and boot gaiters. I am a believer in GoreTex.

Frogg Togg pants have no Nomex or other fire resistant material. They will melt on the pipes. You can add the Nomex yourself or wear some kind of heat resistant covering (e.g. leather) to prevent the pants from melting. It is a lot simpler to just get some GoreTex pants with Nomex shields built in.

The most important thing is to keep dry and visible. Get a bright color by day with reflectivity for night... the more the better.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use stuff that is made for kayaking. Has a nice neprene seal at the neck, no drippies, and the ankles and wrists are neprene as well. They breathe well and are wind and water proof. Got the jacket in orange so i'm visable in the mist. Works greta for me, got them at a outdoor store for about 1/2 of the HD stuff.
Paul

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
shrike96 said:
I use stuff that is made for kayaking. Has a nice neprene seal at the neck, no drippies, and the ankles and wrists are neprene as well. They breathe well and are wind and water proof. Got the jacket in orange so i'm visable in the mist. Works greta for me, got them at a outdoor store for about 1/2 of the HD stuff.
Paul
I am a sea kayaker and I am always alert for uses of my kayak gear for motorcycling. The problem with using paddle jackets for rainwear is that they typically don't fit over your leather jacket and other clothes. NRS makes a jacket designed to fit over your PFD. That kind of product might have good applicability. I considered it but when I got a good deal on the HD GoreTex I decided to go in that direction. I got higher visibility with the HD.

But yours is a good thought. There are lots of good outerwear products available and kayaking bags work great as trip luggage. They are not waycool attractive but that don't mean crap when it starts raining and all your gear gets wet! When I go on a week or two week long motorcycle vacation, I don't really care how the luggage looks. I care how it functions.

Sealine bags will keep your gear 100% dry. They are tough and long lasting. The only similar motorcycle bag is the Nelson Rigg Survivor series bags. Quite frankly, you are better off with Sealines and some good straps with strong fasteners. The fasteners on the Rigg bags suck big time and cannot be trusted. Kayak gear is built for tough duty and that works well on a bike.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
LarJon said:
I really like Frogg Toggs. Very light weight, more breathable than Gore-Tex, and completely waterproof, windproof. You won't know you have them on, even in very hot weather. Check out their website, just push the name together, and add dot com.LarJon
I bought a pair of Toggs about 4-5 years ago, when they first came out. My experience with them is they work great but the crotch still gets soaked. (either that or my Depends was leaking :eek: )

I visited with the Frogg-Togg people at Sturgis a couple years ago and again at Milwaukee this year about it. They indicated the product had not changed since they first made 'em. I ask them if they tried testing 'em under pressured water and not just the poking you hand in a fish bowl as they demonstrate at the shows. The young fellow I was talking to didn't know.

I will say they shipped me a new pair of bib bottoms but I haven't had a chance to test 'em yet because I'd gone out and bought a HD setup.

o~\o

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
This is the one that I have which is not made any more. Too bad cuz it has such great visibility and rain performance.

The MOCO GoreTex Jacket

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I've got a set of Dry Rider, 2 piece. Had it for must be 15 yrs now. I burned the pant leg a few yrs back and had to replace it but bad for $30.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
cwo2lt said:
I've got a set of Dry Rider, 2 piece. Had it for must be 15 yrs now. I burned the pant leg a few yrs back and had to replace it but bad for $30.
Some of those rain suits by the non-MOCO manufacturers are real nice suits and very reasonable in price. I have never understood why they could not sew some Nomex onto the legs to improve their product and make it suitable to the purpose. Go figure.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Yes but then it would have cost more than $30. I saw the stuff you have when it came out and thought about getting it but figured this stuff has worked fine so why spend the big bucks.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
cwo2lt said:
Yes but then it would have cost more than $30.
Damn... how come I didn't think of that!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts