V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm already thinking ahead to spring. Is there any rain gear out there that is suitable as a regular riding around town sort of coat?

My concern is that from mid-April to mid-June it rains alot where I am. So instead of wearing a leather or other fabric coat and packing rain gear why not just get a rain coat that will serve as a riding jacekt.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't replace my leather for sure but during the wet season I'm tying to avoid carrying around too much stuff.

Thanks,
Dennis E.

·
Registered
769 Posts
deisenbraun said:
I'm already thinking ahead to spring. Is there any rain gear out there that is suitable as a regular riding around town sort of coat?

My concern is that from mid-April to mid-June it rains alot where I am. So instead of wearing a leather or other fabric coat and packing rain gear why not just get a rain coat that will serve as a riding jacekt.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't replace my leather for sure but during the wet season I'm tying to avoid carrying around too much stuff.

Thanks,
Dennis E.

Yup its called aerostitch ......its gore-tex laminated ballistic nylon. It comes in several styles and even has pads great venting, and reflective strips designed into the jacket ...Its the gold standard for motorcycle wear in my opinion. While expensive ,, its no more expensive than buying leathers and then getting a good set of raingear........We use it...exclusively when we tour. I cant think of the last time i packed any raingear in the bike ..... i still wear leather sometimes on a local ride ,,, but if there even any chance at all of rain .... we wear the darian light aerostitch ..... rat

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
I would second what Ratt says. The aerostich stuff comes in two weights, and I agree with using the light jacket. It is still a lot of protection and its comfortable in almost all spring-summer-fall applications. I have the incredibly obnoxious day-glow yellow jacket - but I bought it for safety, not for fashion. Good stuff.

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey ratt and Walt, I really appreciate the responses. This is just the kind of info I was looking for.

Thanks again!
Dennis E.

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is the Aerostich material for wind protection compared to a basic leather motorcyle jacket?

Thanks,
Dennis E.

·
Registered
769 Posts
deisenbraun said:
How is the Aerostich material for wind protection compared to a basic leather motorcyle jacket?

Thanks,
Dennis E.

Aerostitch is completly windproof ... aerostich has gore-tex ,, a breathable waterpoof membrane..... you dont sweat in it because it breaths ,,, but it is waterproof and windproof .....there is no better material to make outdoor clothing out of than gore tex. From a pratical point of view it beats dead cows hands down...... but nothing beats the esthetics of leather.......its just not the best thing to make touring gear out of ... leather might have an advantage when it comes to road rash ,,, but you will find you can wear aerostitch when its alot hotter out than you can leather ,, therefore on the protection scale i think it comes out ahead ,,, because i will still be wearing my aerostitch when you cant stand to wear a black leather jacket and are down to your t shirt..... in the heat i will wear a water soaked turtle neck under my stitch and its like having an air conditioner ,,,,,,,imagine being completley comfortable when its 98 degrees out riding in south texas ......the wet turtle neck keeps your body core cool ....and as the water evaporates from the t neck it has a cooling effect much like a swamp cooler aircondioner .... so yet one more time we are back to controlling your body temp by body core temp regulation ....lol. ... trust me i know what i am talking about i dont pull this stuff out of my ass .......i leave that to people who have their head stuck up there , ,,, they have a much better view of that part of their body lol..... ......rat

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ratt,

OK, you've made a believer out of me. I'll save up my pennies over the winter and get a Darienlight in the spring.

Now that I know the name aerostich I was able to search the site for other discussions on it and similar products. Ratt, you were a great help. Thanks!

Dennis E.

·
Registered
769 Posts
deisenbraun said:
ratt,

OK, you've made a believer out of me. I'll save up my pennies over the winter and get a Darienlight in the spring.

Now that I know the name aerostich I was able to search the site for other discussions on it and similar products. Ratt, you were a great help. Thanks!

Dennis E.

Not a problem i am more than happy to help .... touring is my thing. I would suggest that when you buy your stitch ,, get the two piece darian .. not the roadcrafter or the zip together one ... dont bother with their electric liners or fleese liners ..... gerbing i think is a better bang for the buck and you can buy polor fleese a whole lot cheaper. the aerostitch zip in liners are more of a pain in the butt than just going out and buying a polar tech on sale at coles or somplace ..... its alot easier to not have the zip in ones ,, for its a pain to be zipping in liners in and out .... and when you are on the road its nice just to have a stand alone fleese to wear as a jacket ... i have even worn my gerbing to dinner as a windbreaker .....you will save alot of money just by buying the aerostich outers and going gerbing and the stand alone fleese .... rat

·
Registered
769 Posts
If anyone wants a aerostich darian light jacket ,, i have an XL in grey ,, i will sell for a 100 bucks off retail ,,, it has 7000 miles on it and has not even been though the wash yet ... it doesnt fit anymore ......lol. I lost 30 pounds.

Aerostich has changed their grey since then but still have material to make up the matching pants i think ,,,,, rat

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,720 Posts
ratt said:
If anyone wants a aerostich darian light jacket ,, i have an XL in grey ,, i will sell for a 100 bucks off retail ,,, it has 7000 miles on it and has not even been though the wash yet ... it doesnt fit anymore ......lol. I lost 30 pounds.

Aerostich has changed their grey since then but still have material to make up the matching pants i think ,,,,, rat
What does $100 off retail equal? Would an XL fit 6'3'', 240 lb, 36'' sleeves? Do you do alterations? ;)

Joe

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Totally agree about the gore-tex info from Ratt. I'm a little bit cheap so I switched to using a fairly heavy duty gore-tex jacket I got from Cabela's. It's the only jacket I take on road trips too, summer or winter and with 100,000+ miles on my 99 FLHT, I've done a few. I've ridden all day in 30-40 degree temps with it on plus modern long underwear tops and a heavy chamois shirt and never gotten cold. Also got it in Navy blue and gold colors.

Like Ratt, I only wear my old leather jacket on short runs close to home anymore. In addition, the only gloves I'll use in winter is gore-tex mittens. Way better than finger leather gloves.

JMHO, though.

·
Registered
769 Posts
arjonaut said:
What does $100 off retail equal? Would an XL fit 6'3'', 240 lb, 36'' sleeves? Do you do alterations? ;)

Joe
Nope sorry ,,,,but you can go to the aerostich webpage and see what size you will wear ... It has the prices on there as well ......their gray is more of a sage green. Someone must have been a little colorblind when they called it grey....... rat

·
Registered
769 Posts
Ed Y said:
Totally agree about the gore-tex info from Ratt. I'm a little bit cheap so I switched to using a fairly heavy duty gore-tex jacket I got from Cabela's. It's the only jacket I take on road trips too, summer or winter and with 100,000+ miles on my 99 FLHT, I've done a few. I've ridden all day in 30-40 degree temps with it on plus modern long underwear tops and a heavy chamois shirt and never gotten cold. Also got it in Navy blue and gold colors.

Like Ratt, I only wear my old leather jacket on short runs close to home anymore. In addition, the only gloves I'll use in winter is gore-tex mittens. Way better than finger leather gloves.

JMHO, though.

That will work .... ,, hell my gore tex rain gear i used to use with my leathers was from bass pro. All day in the 30s with just a modern long underware and a heavy shirt ,,,, hmmm impressive ,,, All day for me is like 500 miles ,, and we tend to ride the tank out...... I find without electrics a 100 miles is the threshold of pain,, especially in the 40s with rain .......and yes mittens are alot better than gloves for warm hands.... Personally i am sold on the gerbing heated jacket liners......i can get away with taking less gear that way ..... Our fall run is a little tricky .... we leave in mid sept ,spend a month in the tip of texas ,,,and get home to michigan the beginning of nov......You have to be packed to deal with temps from 100 degrees to into the 30s .....the less you have to pack for riding gear the better... its a challenging trip to gear up for, especially when you are riding a bagger two up ...Even though you seem to be getting along fine going caveman style sans electrics ,, i bet if you buy a gerbing and plug in and turn on some heat ,, you will wonder why you ever rode without it......the heated jacket liner is to cold what goretex is to rain and wind .... you combine the two ,, and it rocks ....... rat

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
arjonaut said:

Joe
I'll bet he does not, but Aerostich does. I remember when I bought my Darien Jacket, I had it altered for sleeve length, and it did not cost me anything, but they told me that if I sent it back to have it altered, it would cost something. So I know at that time, they did alterations. I think the retail price of the jacket new is around $500 (maybe a little less). They were great folks to work with over the phone. Good customer service.

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
Registered
769 Posts
EGUC3 said:
I'll bet he does not, but Aerostich does. I remember when I bought my Darien Jacket, I had it altered for sleeve length, and it did not cost me anything, but they told me that if I sent it back to have it altered, it would cost something. So I know at that time, they did alterations. I think the retail price of the jacket new is around $500 (maybe a little less). They were great folks to work with over the phone. Good customer service.

Ride Safe.
Walt

I think you are pretty well on on the price ,,,,, and i will agree ,, aerostitch is a great co to do business with ,, when we needed a smaller jacket ,,, they special made one out of the old grey color and had in in my hands in like 4 days ......its an awsome co .. rat

·
Registered
479 Posts
ratt,

Could you clarify what you recommend in a Darien jacket? I checked their website. There are two models of jacket, Regular and Light. Each comes with either a light or regular liner. I own a Gerbing liner already, so would you recommend the Light jacket with Light liner for all-season riding?

Tim

·
Registered
769 Posts
FXD-Tim said:
ratt,

Could you clarify what you recommend in a Darien jacket? I checked their website. There are two models of jacket, Regular and Light. Each comes with either a light or regular liner. I own a Gerbing liner already, so would you recommend the Light jacket with Light liner for all-season riding?

Tim

That is up to you ,,,, the light doesnt provide the protection that the regular does ... but does have padded elbow and shoulders........The light i would compare to an industrial grade mountain parka ..... Its really up to you ....... I know i wear it when before i wouild have been in shirtsleeves ,, so i dont feel guilty about wearing the light ,,, rat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts