V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 04 Electra Glide Classic... and have never had an issue with my radio in close to 40,000 miles. However, after riding last night with the radio working fine...I got back on the bike this morning and could not get the radio to turn on. The clock was there, and I was able to change the time, but no radio, nor eject on the CD. I checked the fuses and they are fine, next was going to pull the fairing and check the harness...I did have cruise control added a few weeks back and know the audio button is part of the new set up.

Any thoughts, or similiar radio power problems?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try unhooking the batt. for a few min. and then hook it back up and see if that resets the radio.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try the connectors under the fairing. I had one come loose once.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've also had the signal wire on my tach break, so guess that could happen too on your radio harness. You'll just have to take off the fairing and snoop around some. Could just be a radio gone bad, too. Good luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I will give that a try... but I did pull the fuse and turn on the ignition to check the fuse with the clock... Wouldn't that be similiar to disconnecting the battery?
Not exactly that only pulls power from one of the 3 places it gets power (Switched Power). The power you need to pull to rest the radio is the constant power. I am not sure there is a fuse in the box for it. Thats why the simplest thing to do is unhook the + batt. terminal.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not exactly that only pulls power from one of the 3 places it gets power (Switched Power). The power you need to pull to rest the radio is the constant power. I am not sure there is a fuse in the box for it. Thats why the simplest thing to do is unhook the + batt. terminal.
Disconnected the battery and still the same...will pull the fairing later and check wiring, if I don't see anything I will pull the radio and send it out... only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So, what did you find?

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, what did you find?
Nothing, everything appears to be in order, wiring wise. I will call RadioSound later today and see what they say. They appear to be the manufacturer and have a web page which shows they repair the units as well. Just need to figure out how to get the radio out...looks like a real cluster ---- of wires, etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am not sure that yours is the same as my 05 but should be. First there are 2 grounds for the radio seems they use one for memory and clock and the other for the radio itself they are both behind the fairing, They use 2 power supplys one again for memory and the other for the radio itself. Now for something that is messed up as far as I am concerned the power for the radio comes out of the fuse block threw the starter relay to the radio. It is very possible to have a bad starter relay and the bike start and run fine because they are using a different pin out to activate the starter. I would check both fuses and then the grounds I would look at the grounds real good just because you had cruse added lately. If you do not see anything there I would not be affraid to throw in a $10.00 starter relay. You are also on the right track if you want to conntact radio sound they are top notch and are always willing to help.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am not sure that yours is the same as my 05 but should be. First there are 2 grounds for the radio seems they use one for memory and clock and the other for the radio itself they are both behind the fairing, They use 2 power supplys one again for memory and the other for the radio itself. Now for something that is messed up as far as I am concerned the power for the radio comes out of the fuse block threw the starter relay to the radio. It is very possible to have a bad starter relay and the bike start and run fine because they are using a different pin out to activate the starter. I would check both fuses and then the grounds I would look at the grounds real good just because you had cruse added lately. If you do not see anything there I would not be affraid to throw in a $10.00 starter relay. You are also on the right track if you want to conntact radio sound they are top notch and are always willing to help.
Thanks, I sent the radio out for service yesterday. Will report back when I have more information.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
I too have had the same problem just 2 days ago. The clock worked fine, but no power to the radio. After riding it a few miles the radio would turn on, but not shut off. Checked fuses, took fairing off and the only thing I found wrong in there was a broker fairing bracket. Put everything back together and the radio turned on and off a few times and then locked on in the seeking mode. Shut power off and turned it back on and the radio was still seeking through the channels. I started pushing the buttons on the hand gribs and found that the seeking button was stuck. Once I fixed it the radio would work fine. Check out your buttons on your grips. I think over time water and dirt get in there and corrode and cause issues.
Electra 1

·
Registered
112 Posts
I too have had the same problem just 2 days ago. The clock worked fine, but no power to the radio. After riding it a few miles the radio would turn on, but not shut off. Checked fuses, took fairing off and the only thing I found wrong in there was a broker fairing bracket. Put everything back together and the radio turned on and off a few times and then locked on in the seeking mode. Shut power off and turned it back on and the radio was still seeking through the channels. I started pushing the buttons on the hand gribs and found that the seeking button was stuck. Once I fixed it the radio would work fine. Check out your buttons on your grips. I think over time water and dirt get in there and corrode and cause issues.
Electra 1
Good to know. I never would have thought to check the handlebar controls. :clap:

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Electra 1
That is exactly my problem...and I too found a broken fairing support... the left strut ( from rider position...right looking into it) The strut which runs from the center fairing support to the speaker...funny, the dealer even had one in stock! Not TOO long ago I had cruise put on the bike, and the "mode" button is in that installation. I will try to check it out later this weekend and report back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts