V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having a problem with their reception on their 08? I can get a station when I am right next to the brodcast tower, 5 miles down the road and nothing! No AM, no FM, no WB, Cd player works pretty good but c'mon, that's an expensive radio, it should get a broadcast reception from more than a couple of miles away. For example, sitting in my driveway if I press the scan button on on the stock stereo in my truck, it stops on at least 20-30 fm stations. do the same with the bike, nothing! I was in Portland the other day, big city, over a million people, should get a hundred stations.. Nope, not on my bike, just 2 FM and 2 AM stations right in Portland.

So, whats the deal, is this just my radio? When it goes to the dealer am I gonna get that old "that's just the way they are" line that dealers are so well practiced at? I am so dissappointed in the fancy new radio!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
The reception has been very good on my Ultra. Have you changed antennas or are yours stock? I have kept the stock ones.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I would get them to check the connection of the antennae starting from the back of the radio to the point of connection to the anntennae. There is definately something amiss, you should have no problems getting the stations that your car stereo can pick up. That baby is under warranty so take it in and make them find the problem and fix it. And if they say they can't find a problem then put your bike next to another bagger at the dealer and show them how the other bike can get stations our bike can't. They should have a tough time explaining that one.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Road Glider said:
I would get them to check the connection of the antennae starting from the back of the radio to the point of connection to the anntennae. There is definately something amiss, you should have no problems getting the stations that your car stereo can pick up. That baby is under warranty so take it in and make them find the problem and fix it. And if they say they can't find a problem then put your bike next to another bagger at the dealer and show them how the other bike can get stations our bike can't. They should have a tough time explaining that one.
I was thinking maybe the antenna connection myself. Maybe I'll check it out myself, I don't really like the dealer taking the outter fairing off and on, they messed up the fairing on my 01 and never made it right. I think they use the service manual method which sucks at best when putting these things back on. Ever since I figured out the headlight out method, I don't really mind going in there.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I love the idea of checking it side by side with another bike. I have no trouble with mine, here or down to Vegas and back.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ceraaa42 said:
I love the idea of checking it side by side with another bike. I have no trouble with mine, here or down to Vegas and back.
Just as an example with station and geography you'll understand. I Left Latus the other day and was recieving KGON, 92.3, weak signal. By Oregon City, no reception of that or any other station... Gonna go out and run down the antenna wire here in a few minutes..

·
This Space for Rent
57 Posts
I took the antennas off mine to avoid them getting damaged and still have no troubles getting KGON throughout the greater portland area. I think there's something wrong.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kr70657 said:
I took the antennas off mine to avoid them getting damaged and still have no troubles getting KGON throughout the greater portland area. I think there's something wrong.
It's the antenna wire. I checked to connections, both good. went and got a new antenna with wire, plugged it in, got KGON fine and I'm 60 miles away in the coastal hills. Left the new antenna off, plugged the old back in and buttoned it all up. I'll let the dealer replace that wire, it runs under the tank and I have no intention of lifting that tank and cutting into a wire loom on a bike with 650 miles on it. probably in for it's 100 mile service next week since the rain is finally starting...

Once it's fixed, I'll remove the antenna and put the new one I bought under the fairing. I don't really use the radio much but I want it to work since I'm probably in the trading for new every couple of years mode now. Wanna be able to put it back bone stock before trade in.....

JEEZE! I AM SUCH A GEEZE! i BOUGHT A MOTORHOME AND AM LOOKING FOR A SMALL ENCLOSED TRAILER....
THAT'S SICK!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Adlerx, I too am having reception problem. Sounds like the same exact thing your having. Now which wire are you tracing?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mo1 said:
Adlerx, I too am having reception problem. Sounds like the same exact thing your having. Now which wire are you tracing?
all I did was chack the antenna wire connection at the rear of the bike and it was good, pulled the fairing and checked the connection at the stereo and the connection was good. Unplugged the antenna cable at the stereo and plugged in a different cable with antenna and through the magic of Marconi, I had reception. Obviously somewhere the antenna wire is bad but that baby goes down under the seat and into a loom that takes it up under the tank and through to the front of the bike. The truth is, I am not gonna use that antenna wire anyhow but it's a brand new bike and I need everything to be right and I'm gonna make sure the dealer makes it right. When I put this bike back to bone stock to trade it in in a couple of years, everything's gotta work like new, figure it'll be easier to get it right now before I start changing out stereo and so forth which would give the dealer wiggle room to get out of the warranty repair...

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
adlerx said:
Once it's fixed, I'll remove the antenna and put the new one I bought under the fairing.
Let us know how the reception is with the new one. I'm going to make my tour pak removable and trying to decided how to handle the antennes.

Chris

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey ceraaa, I'm surprised they don't make a plug in harness for that...
I had the other new one I'll be using under the fairing in the future on there for ahwile yesterday and it seems placement under there makes a pretty big difference in reception, just moving it a little in different positions made big differences. Guess it's all the stuff in there that causes interference. I doubt the reception will equal the whip antenna on there now (if it was properly connected) but I'll let you know.
Have you heard of anyone mounting one of those powered booster antennas mounted under the fairing? I wonder if they really boost reception or are they just snake oil? What do you think?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Adlerx, thanks for the info. I'm not sure I want to try and remove the fairing off a brand new bike, kinda makes me nervous. I will let the dealer know during the 1000 mile check-up tho. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mo1 said:
Adlerx, thanks for the info. I'm not sure I want to try and remove the fairing off a brand new bike, kinda makes me nervous. I will let the dealer know during the 1000 mile check-up tho. Thanks again.
Dude! You better learn to do that fairing and do it the right way. The dealer "techs" are oafs, at least when it comes to the RG fairings. There is a technique that admitedly took me several on and offs to grasp, now it's a piece of cake. Don't be nervous, You gotta start sometime, might as well learn now so you can track your dealer, make sure he's doing everything he says...

Isn't it pathetic when we customers who are regular peeps have to monitor closely so called highly trained professionals just to make sure they aren't EFFIN up our sheet!

·
Registered
44 Posts
adlerx, I know I need to learn how to take it off. Your right, we always need to monitor the dealer. This is sad. Just a few screws right? In the inside of fairing. Or is there a trick to the madness?

·
This space for rent
221 Posts
adlerx said:
Dude! You better learn to do that fairing and do it the right way. The dealer "techs" are oafs, at least when it comes to the RG fairings. There is a technique that admitedly took me several on and offs to grasp, now it's a piece of cake. Don't be nervous, You gotta start sometime, might as well learn now so you can track your dealer, make sure he's doing everything he says...

Isn't it pathetic when we customers who are regular peeps have to monitor closely so called highly trained professionals just to make sure they aren't EFFIN up our sheet!
More on this (hmm moron?)..

Buddy took delivery of a SE Ultra couple of months ago and found that the radio didn't play through the speakers, but did play through the headsets. The "best radio tech" at the dealership looked at it and pronounced the amplifier to be bad.

I asked the "tech" if he checked the fuse to the amp (pinched wire during build/setup, whatever... it can happen). I might add that I'm an ASE Master certified auto technician (have been for 20 years now), and have a bit of experience with OBD and electrical systems. He assured both me and my buddy that yes, he did indeed check it (this after spending probably 45 minutes looking at it). Of course, they had to order the part (Next Day Air.. more on that later). I was still unconvinced that a brand new amp would fail and slide by both QC and PDI, but no matter... they have to know more that I do, right? ^rolleyez^

I then asked the service manager and sales manager (the GM was out, plus we both knew the sales manager pretty well), if to make their new customer happy, to swap out the amplifier with one from another Ultra (they had two others on the floor), especially after dropping 30+K on a bike (fyi...I would do whatever it took to make the client happy). We were told the SE ultra requires a "special amplifier" (huh?) and it would come in "next day", even though it was a Saturday (uh-oh...). I asked the service manager again, if they checked the fuses for the audio system..."Yep... all good".

The next day... (you guessed it).. no amplifier! It wasn't even ordered! :wacko: Lots of teeth gnashing later, it does get ordered..

Fast forward to the following weekend... Part's in, bike's in the shop.. another "tech" swaps out the amp and..... still no audio through the speakers! This guy breaks out the manual and starts tracing stuff.... and finds...

wait for it...

a blown amplifier fuse!

Apparently, the radio and amplifier fuses were installed incorrectly (radio uses a 10A fuse, the amp a 30A), and they were reversed while on the assembly line. How it slid past both quality control AND predelivery still escapes me...

As an automotive tech, I take a more analytical approach to electrical diagnosis (at $100 an hour.. I make damn sure the client's ride will be fixed the first time), and simply looking at the manual, or fuse cover (don't have an Ultra, so I don't know if the amp values are printed on it) and actually checking the fuse would have corrected the problem in short order. In any event, the bike's fixed and my buddy's happy with it.

Gotta keep 'em on their toes, I tell ya...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mo1 said:
adlerx, I know I need to learn how to take it off. Your right, we always need to monitor the dealer. This is sad. Just a few screws right? In the inside of fairing. Or is there a trick to the madness?
There is definately a trick to getting the RG outter fairing back on. If you use the method in the service manual, you'll likely never get back on and properly aligned. The best way is to remove the headlight from the outter fairing by squeezing the three green clips on the inside. This will pop the entire headlight assembly out and make it MUCH easier to get the fairing onto the hooks on the inner fairing. Then carefully align the tabs on the fairing, when it's right, it'll line up perfectly, if those little wing tabs on the inner and outter arent properly aligned, it may appear correct but but there will be a gap along the edge once buttoned up. once it's right, it'll fit perfect, you need to excersise patience and don't force anything, those tabs are easy to break and they really do have a purpose. once you get it buttoned up, line up the green headlight clips with the 3 rectangular holes and carefully push each in until it clicks.

The dealer really effed my old RG faiiring and I am very leary of them removing this one, you can be sure I am going to inspect their work closely!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts