V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this has been asked but........is there a way to have a decent radio on a 2002 roadglide? The stock one sucks. I don't need in dash cd (though that would be ok) just a radio that sound good, loud without distortion and uses the standard bar controls. I don't always ride with a tourpak so the Harley amp isn't any use. Thoughts?

·
Registered
354 Posts
yz - below is a compilation of some of my previous responses on this topic. Search on "POLK" for more info. These speakers fit my '98 FLHTC. I tend to think they would fit your bike but I am not positive - check this out before you buy.

Let me guess...when you really crank up the stereo, it isn't loud enough and/or the sound distorts? Have you replaced the speakers? If not, you might want to try this first. In my opinion the stock speakers are not good quality.

Polk Audio makes some much better 5 1/4" speakers (EX352) that fit my '98 FLHTC, and you should be able to get them at Circuit City for about $100, look here:

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/produc...=18&speaker=117

These speakers are "designed to boost the performance of stock radios". That is, they have a relatively high efficiency/sensitivity of 91dB.

If you buy them from somewhere like Circuit City, they should have a 30 day return policy so you can try them and return them if you don't like.

I installed them in my '98 FLHTC and have been pleased.

The stock speakers in my '98 FLHTC were pure junk, and I replaced them with the Polks for a night and day difference. I think you're right, HD started installing the "high performance" speakers in the '01 and later touring models. But it now looks like they offer yet another grade of speaker with the $500 "enhanced sound system" that comes with amp and 4 new speakers. See page 508 of your 2002 parts catalog.

I rented a '01 FLHTC once (with the same speakers your bike has), and in my opinion the Polk's that I have now sound better. If you feel like researching it, try to get the frequency response range and efficiency (i.e. sensitivity) numbers from Harley for the speakers you currently have in your bike, then compare them to the Polks or other replacement speakers. That should tell you alot. I know that others on this site and http://www.ffbmc.com/ have purchased these Polks for their '01-later bikes and are pleased. You might want to try a poll and see what kind of responses you get. But it really comes down to how they sound to you.

Also, try plugging in a portable CD player or a MP3 player into that auxillary input jack on the face of your radio. You'd be suprised on how much better the system sounds as compared to playin' a tape.

Enjoy those tunes
:D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I tend to think the deck itself is the problem as when a cd player is conected the sound is much better (louder with less distortion). I'll check out those links.......

·
Registered
312 Posts
i have no motorcycle speaker knowledge but...... my 2 cents

In cars an audiophiles first choice is always a new head unit.. New deck with stock speakers is almost always better then stock head unit w/ even high end aftermarket speakers. Most distortion is caused by the headunit clipping, (working harder then it is made to work). Not by the speakers working to hard, unless they are damaged.

But I have no idea what so ever with what is involved in swapping HU in a Harley, but cars(even with steering wheel controls, can't be that different the controls on the handle bars) are fairly easy to install, exspecially for a good car audio shop.

I used to try to set off car alarms with stereos, now I like to set them off with pipes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Signal to Noise ratio of that CD player you're plugging into the front is much better than that of the FM Tuner and way better then that of the cassette deck - this is why the CD sounds the best.

If you were to visually compare one of the stock speakers with the POLK unit, you would see what I'm talking about. Look at the difference in driver magnet size, cone construction, etc.

Also, you can try cranking up the Automatic Volume Control setting on your Harley radio. The instructions should be in your owner's manual.

Up to you...I don't think the stock radio performs that bad when you have decent speakers.:D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Polk speakers

I have to agree with Old Boy 99. I have a friend who upgraded his speakers to Polk Audio and it made a world of difference. like Old Boy said once you get a peek at HD's speakers you will understand.
If you still want a new head unit you wouldn't want to play it thru HD's cheap speakers.
I need the whole sound system but if I already had one I would swap the speakers and then make the decsion to upgrade the head unit.

Thanks for leaving that link Old Boy 99 I'll have to check that out...

·
Registered
354 Posts
You are very welcome:)

I plan on buying a portable MP3 player when the prices come down a bit. They have near CD-quality sound, and the flash memory ones can't skip. I'll plug it into the aux jack, then I'll have some serious tunes!:D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MP3 player and good speakers sounds like a good bet. All good info, thanks.....Also the guys at pac say their swi-x unit will work if the new deck has an IR remote, might look into that a little further as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Polk Audio 5 1/4" speakers (EX352) fit my 1998 FLHTC.

You can guess from this that the speakers in your bike are 5 1/4", but I don't know for sure.

The other thing to be aware of is the depth of the speaker.

The mechanical dimensions of the Polk model can be found on their web site - address given above.

Good luck:D

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Ok, so has anybody put a non-factory stereo on there ride yet? I have a Electra Glide Standard and I'm wondering what head units have people been putting in. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another Question

Ok, i actually went to buy the polk's, but circut city didnt have them instock, nor did any of them in the area, so i compaired, circut city carries "infinitys"... 5.25's, specks were about the same, except that it has a sensititiy of 92, not 91 like the polks. well to me this just ment more sound output for me... ok question is this and its a 2 part question... the factory speakers for the 2002 ultra has an 8 ohm resistance, and most all of the aftermarket 5.25's are 4 ohm, i bought them anyways, and guess what... THEY SOUND FANTASTIC, so... am i gonna blow up my radio? or have i actually reduced the load and not gonna hurt anything... ALSO, the polks or infinitys are NOT marine speakers. they are two way speakers with no baffle from the woofer to the center magnet for the tweeter... has anyone had any problems with water or moisture with their polks?... I have been able to find speakers to fit in the rear pockets, but no marine speakers... and due to their positioning... (angled upwards).. i think i should get marine speakers for them... water will tend to try to work its way in..

·
Registered
977 Posts
The Polks can be ordered at the following link for $65.00 a pair:

http://www.wholesalesounds.com/polk/#

They can also be purchased at:

http://www.crutchfield.com for a higher price.

The same Polk EX 352's will work both in the fairing and in the rear speaker housings. I have them in both the front and rear on my '02 Ultra and I can back up OldBoy99 on everything he has said about the Polks. In fact, he turned me on to them on another board, and I certainly appreciate his reference.

The Polks offer sound quality that is far superior to what Harley offers as far as stock, in either the pre-01's or since. The HD speakers will not carry a lot of volume or bass, the Polks do both, with ease. The magnets are HUGE compared to Harley speakers.

After installing the Polks, I ramped up the AVC (Automatic Volume Control) from the factory setting of 2 to the max level of 4, that also makes a BIG difference !!

Because the mess our Texas size bugs make, I run my Ultra through a quarter car wash after most long rides, and use the high pressure hose. The speakers have never been bothered, they have performed flawlessly since I installed them. The literature that comes with the speakers says they are 'water resistant', not 'water proof'.

A month ago, I installed a Sirius satellite radio system on the Ultra, using an FM modulator to bring the sound in through the FM side of the HD radio. I can tell you that with the Polks installed and the AVC at 4, the digital quality sound of the satellite radio comes through in booming, crystal clear quality !!!

My advice would be to save the big bucks of trying to replace the radio and try the Polks first. You can always buy a new radio later, then you would still have decent speakers.

Hope this helps.....

DaveT

·
Registered
20 Posts
In reference to polks or other aftermarket speakers

Today i called "Radio Sound" manufacture of the radio for Harley, and explained the speaker problem. First off their web site is http://www.radiosound.com . Another thing i learned talkin with this guy is that each channel has its own built in amp, (4 channels for the ultra). I was concerned with the impedance of the speakers, being that factory speakers are 8 ohm, and most 5.25's aftermarket are 4 ohm. He told me that by running 4 ohm speakers on the harley you have less of a load, but also makes the amp generate more heat... this overheating can cause failure.. (personally i think less load = less heat) but he said different.. he also said that they have presented harley with other speaker options, and that harley picked the crappiest speaker presented.. (in my mind to make up upgrade with their stuff) he really didnt give much of options as far as speakers are concerned, but did tell me that radio sound offers a radio trade in program for 90.00 bucks.. so , if you do end up blowing your head unit... trade it in for 90 bucks. Me, the sound difference is too great using the aftermarket speakers and i will continue to use them.. ps. i put in infinitys... they sound great...

http://www.radiosound.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts