V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - Recently joined this forum as I picked up a 1985 FXRT (mostly original). I have the factory service manual and the parts book and have come to the conclusion that the 1984-1985 FXRT fairing does not have any details on the radio or the accessory pods (clock, volts, head temp, oil pressure) as there is no information on these components. I am digging into the wiring on my fairing as a lot of the components on the fairing didn't work. As I was looking at the radio power wire (primary power not the one that is used to hold the presets) and found this component attached to the wire, any idea what this is? I have not seen anything in the schematics that clear says what this is.
Hand Circuit component Finger Gesture Pliers
Hand Finger Thumb Creative arts Electrical wiring

Bag Luggage and bags Wire Fashion accessory Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
Most likely they installed that component in an attempt to filter out RF noise in the radio. Probably useless and worth about as much as the copper content that's in it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know, thanks.

I am still confused why there is so little about the 1984-85 FXRT. Does anyone know if the radio was just an accessory or was ever included from the factory? The little there is in the manuel/parts book make me think it was an accessory sold by HD. That paired with the really bad holes cut for the radio and speaker, this random transformer, and the continuous power wire cut off/not connected makes me think some hack added it in after.

Now to figure out if an inline fuse is needed for the two power wires...

·
Premium Member
2019 RoadGlide Ultra. Twisted Cherry.
699 Posts
Back in the day we used a heavy duty capacitor like that to limit highs and lows. It’s about as good now days as those butt connectors. Take it out put in a modern head unit, and some good speakers. Lastly, take out those butt connectors and solder that stuff up, and Shrink wrap it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've since removed the butt connectors, they were all over the wiring in the fairing. I don't listen to music much when I ride and trying to keep the bike mostly original so I plan on keeping the head unit and speakers in for now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting back to the wiring now. The HD Service Manual doesn't have any wiring on the radio for the 84-85 FXRT diagrams. Based on the wiring diagram for 86+ there is suppose to be a 1 AMP fuse for the continuous power to the radio for memory, and 5 AMP fuse for the power. I'd like to keep the wiring in the fairing which would make it difficult to change a fuse if one were to blow. I typically prefer circuit breakers to fuses for ease of maintenance but am not able to find any at that low amperage. Any ideas from the group?

Currently what was in there was one of these in line fuse holders. Worst case I will run one of these with enough wire slack to service in the fairing with the fairing still on the bike.
Line Automotive lighting Cable Font Electronic device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts