V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be putting in a Aiwa cd player into my electraglide pretty soon. i emailed biketronics and they have an instal kit for $49. my question is have any of you bought it and did you really need it. i have put multiple stereos in cars and can usually make them work fine. is this install kit money well spent or is it something one can make when they are installing a radio in one of these police bikes? thanks for the help

·
Registered
37 Posts
The retro Radio Kit is $200, which is a plug and play kit that allows direct use of the hand controls and stock wiring (requires Sony Radio). For $49 I assume that you will just be getting the face plate and maybe spacers for the side of the radio. You can probably make the face plate and spacers, but it would be more trouble than it's worth, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
police bikes dont have hand controls for the stereo functions. yes the kit is worth the 50.00 saves time and slips right in
Biketronics has the potion for the speed / sound control thats additional but i like it imho.

when you do wire it look for a orange wire with a white stripe in the main harness check it there are a few find the one that gives you power with the ignition on or in acc mode .
i ran a main fused power wire direct frm the battery and used the orange/white for the trigger line.
works perfect.

you will meed a long ball allen to get in the tight spots.

have fun and enjoy the tunes

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FLA thanks for the tips. no radio controls, but i got flasher and siren controls if i need them.:gun: :thanks:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Before u drop the $$ on the AIAWA unit take a look at this. If handlebar controls were not a concern this is the unit I would install in my Glide.(with the addition of a marine cover for the front of the unit. No doubt you will be unimpressed with the power of the Aiawa unit when u are doing 70 down the highway and cant hear anything but distortion coming from your speakers. U get lots of clean efficient power and this is without an outboard amplifier.http:
Shop around online and u will save a good bit off retail, (it aint cheap) but it beats adding amps (with the additional current load) and wiring.
Just my 2 cents
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-vcNiF2gupll/reviews/20040406/panasonic_cqc9800u.html?page=1

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know the awai isnt the loudest or nicest, but it was FREE. so i cant complain and it wont cost $500+. i would also wait and let the new class t technology drop in price too. i also dont want the very first model built for production either. you let us all know how it works out for you though, ok.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I run a Pioneer DEP-3000mp deck in my old police E glide.
Am/FM/XM/CD/MP3 with an internal 4x50 mofset amp and a pep boys hidden antenna. It drives 4 J&M speakers in the fairing, 2 stock and 2 custom mounted.

Even if your deck was free, you'll want a deck that plays mp3's. I burn 170 mp3's to a CD, put it in and ride away. Also, MP3's use a encoding/decoding algorthim that compenates for latenancy, CD format does not. This means that CD's skip all the time, even in the new bikes, MP3's don't. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts