V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Yes, it will work. Two points; first, the automatic volume control (AVC) won't work because the HK head unit uses serial data from the ECM rather than from the Vehicle Speed Sensor used on '05 and older models which don't provide serial data. You can send the HK to Iron Cross Audio who can modify the software so that the AVC will work with your older bike.

Second, the HK is a 2 ohm output while the Radio Sound OEM radio you now have is 8 ohm. So, you'll need to play the HK at a higher volume setting to get equivalent volume. You can, of course, change out the speakers to 2 ohm impedance or 4 ohm impedance speakers.

Carl

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yes, it will work. Two points; first, the automatic volume control (AVC) won't work because the HK head unit uses serial data from the ECM rather than from the Vehicle Speed Sensor used on '05 and older models which don't provide serial data. You can send the HK to Iron Cross Audio who can modify the software so that the AVC will work with your older bike.

Second, the HK is a 2 ohm output while the Radio Sound OEM radio you now have is 8 ohm. So, you'll need to play the HK at a higher volume setting to get equivalent volume. You can, of course, change out the speakers to 2 ohm impedance or 4 ohm impedance speakers.

Carl
Based on your knowledge does the radio of a 2003 that has cd work on a 2002, last year for cassette, any mods?

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Based on your knowledge does the radio of a 2003 that has cd work on a 2002, last year for cassette, any mods?
Changing out an '02 head unit for an '03 should be plug and play. You can call HD's vendor of those head units, Radio Sound, at (502) 267-6768 to confirm.

Are the connectors the same?
There is only one electrical connector on a non-Ultra installation and that's a 23-wire Tyco Amp connector. The connectors are the same on '05 and older models and '06 and newer models. They are wired the same except for the vehicle speed wire mentioned in my previous post.

Ultras use a second connector (for rider headset, passenger headset, rear speakers, etc.) and those are different for '05 and older compared to '06 and newer models. The former use a 23 wire connector and the latter a 35 wire connector; both are Tyco Amp connectors.

When I retrofitted the HK head unit on my '04 EG, I compared wiring diagrams for '04 and '06 and newer models, as well as part nos. for those years to confirm that it would be a plug and play installation. With the exception of the vehicle speed wire, it was.

The HK was installed because I wanted a clean CB installation and it replaced a Sony/Biketronics installation that worked great. In fact, but for wanting the clean CB installation, I would not have replaced the Sony/Biketronics combo.

Carl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts